Quartier des Balcons, Val Thorens, 73440, France

Booking.com Otel.com

• Ski-in, Ski-out

Chalets du Soleil offers nice self-catered apartments in a true ski-in, ski-out location at Val Thorens.

We stayed there in late January 2008, renting a 6-8 person flat as a group of 6. I would not want to have stayed in an apartment of that size with 8 people, as the living room is very cozy even with six. The bedrooms are miniscule (we had the smallest of 3, and the available floor space consisted of about two and a half feet at the foot of the bed. Still, who's going to spend time in their bedroom at a ski resort anyway?

I'll get my one or two quibbles out of the way first: (1) the small size makes it impossible for more than one person to be in the kitchen area at a time; (2) the walls are not particularly sound-proof, so I'd recommend bringing earplugs in case your neighbours have a party; (3) the pool was cloudy; (4) WiFi is sketchy if you are in your room.

Now let me rave about how much I loved it! The location is great. We put our skis on about thirty feet from the door, and took them off even closer. There is a rental shop just off the lobby. There are ski lockers off the lobby that are heated from about six in the morning - so your boots are warm when you put them on. There's a pool and sauna. There's a computer in the lobby during office hours, and free WiFi at all times. The location at the very top of the resort gives you afternoon sun for basking at the end of your day. The free shuttle bus stops just across the street, and also just across the street is a little grocery.

Val Thorens is a fabulous place to ski. You are on top of the world. The lift services are fast and efficient. The runs are well-groomed (almost too well-groomed - you won't find many moguls here unless they get a dump of snow). You can ski all 3 valleys on one lift pass - I don't think we ever skied the same run twice in four days, with the exception of our "home" run.

Comments