Drahthammerstrasse 30, Amberg, Bavaria, 92224, Germany
Booking.com hotel.info Priceline.com

More about Amberg

With Basilika St. Martin on the river Vils.With Basilika St. Martin on the river Vils.

Travel Tips for Amberg

Decorating Erntedank Decoration in Mittelreinbach

by Kimi_the_Bear

In a tiny village named Mittelreinbach - near Kirchenreinbach... - they had a wonderful Erntedank decoration at a bus stop in the town centre. How much love they have put into it!

Erntedank is the celebration of the people after the harvest, when they thank God for giving them a good year with a rich harvest. The people in this region are very religious.

Although you see pumpkins here, Erntedank has nothing to do with the rather un-Christian Halloween. Although younger people in Germany now also dress up for Halloween this is absolutely no German tradition. Mama says it is ridiculous and rubbish to celebrate Halloween in Germany. They should celebrate it in America where it comes from and stay there, this would be fine. It is good enough that we have McDonald's and Burger King in Germany... ;-)

Here in this decoration all kinds of harvests were displayed, not just the obvious pumpkins but also grain, plums, and grapes.

I enjoyed my ride in the pumpkin cart, though :-)))

As I was sitting on my cart, we thought it would be great fun to have Kalle the Dog be my horse. So Werner, Mama's friend Gisela's husband, attached Kalle's leash at the cart.

As you can see, Kalle was very attentive.

He was refreshed after a swim in a little lake.

I thoroughly enjoyed my ride on the pumpkin seat :-)

Adventures with Kalle the Dog

by Kimi_the_Bear

Kalle is Gisela's and Werner's dog in Neukirchen. Well, more Gisela's than Werner's... But not only both of them do pamper this rough-haired Dachshund. Also Werner's parents love Kalle. So every morning when Kalle goes to Kirchenreinbach the first thing he asks for is a slice of bread with cheese, or he would go mad.

Kalle is not a stupid dog. On the picture above you see him pulling my pumpkin cart in Mittelreinbach (see extra travelogue).

On the left you see his outdoor house. There he can rest after chasing neighbours' obnoxious cats from the property. He has another sleeping house inside the house.

On the photo on the left we are walking on the Burgen- und Schlösserweg (Fortress and Castle Trail), in an area named Schöpfertal (Creator's Valley).

On the Burgen- und Schlösserweg I checked out some plants, like this silver thistle.

I needed some breaks along the way.

This is another nice flower named Herbstzeitlose. It looks nicer than it is - because it is a poisonous plant that flowers at the end of summer (Herbst = autumn).

I also checked out a cave named Dürrnberghöhle on the Burgen- und Schlösserweg.

Kalle had to stay on the leash and away from the cave. If you let him loose he would race into the cave, thinking he should find a wild animal somewhere underground. Kalle is a hunting dog, specialised in going underground. So if you do not want to spend several hours waiting for him to come back into daylight, you better keep him well off such places of interest.

What to Eat

by Kimi_the_Bear

As you know by now, I love food. Meat is one of my favourites. On the photo above you see a speciality of the house of Lydia in Kirchenreinbach who is Gisela's mother-in-law. She is a fabulous cook, and I got to taste everything she cooked and baked.

I wonder if Papa would have tried this local specialty named Saure Zipfel (sauer = sour, of course; Zipfel = end of a sausage or a woollen hat).

Those Zipfel are delicious sausages, cooked in a sour brine and with a lotttttt of onion.

Breakfast is another delight. Although I would be happy with about anything, especially with honey, I loved the fresh rolls and the smallgoods.

Papa would not have eaten all smallgoods and stuff served here. Although he has never tasted it, he would not touch the meat in sour jelly. Mama says this is delicious, and I can only agree ;-))

After a long walk in the sun you should not miss to charge your batteries (and fill your stomach) with Lydia's delicious Zwetschgenkuchen (plum cake). Best not with only one slice ;-) And if you are totally exhausted, best you have it with a load of freshly whipped cream ;-)))))) (Greetings to my friend Lynne!!!)

Just Follow the blue Paws in the City Centre

by Kimi_the_Bear

The city centre is really beautiful. The Gothic basilica St. Martin is the dominant church. It is next to Marktplatz and Town Hall, and if you walk along the river Vils you also bump into it at some point.

The photo above was taken in the alley that leads from Marktplatz to the pilgrimage church Mariahilf.

To find your way past the major attractions you just have to follow the blue paws on the pavement. However, we only discovered them after we had finished our city tour ;-))) I think this was because we had our near-local guide Gisela, so there was no need to check out itineraries because we knew where we had to go to.

St. Martin reflecting in the river Vils.

BTW You see, this river Vils is spelled with V but as it is a German word it is pronounced like F, so like: Fils. So take care, as there is a river named Fils in Württemberg - and exactly in the village where my grandparents live (Gingen/Fils).

BTW 2: The white building in front of St. Martin is part of the Elector's castle.

Here you see St. Martin and a covered pedestrian bridge, called Schiffsbrücke (Ship Bridge). Near that bridge they start boat tours on the Vils, on so called Vils-Plätten. Those boats are twelve metres long and 2.20 metres wide. They look like the historic originals that once transported iron up to Regensburg and salt down to Amberg.

Sitting on the banister of the Schiffsbrücke.

You do not see it on this photo but I see it: I am looking at the Amberger Stadtbrille (Amberg City Spectacles). This is a double arched part of the city wall spanning the Vils. It is considered the fifth gate in the wall. As the arches reflect in the water (at least when the sun shines...) they form circles, that is where the name Stadtbrille (City Spectacles) comes from.

In the patio of the former castle that is now used as Landratsamt (Regional Administration Centre). At a Landratsamt they administer, for example, everything that has to do with car registration and speeding tickets and stuff. So you better avoid it ;-)

The patio is dominated by a lovely rose garden.

The castle was built in 1417 by Elector Ludwig III.

The Wedding Fountain and the Mice

by Kimi_the_Bear

The Hochzeitsbrunnen (Wedding Fountain) is the most important place in Amberg if you ever want to come back. Because... If you succeed to find three tiny mice incorporated into this beautiful sculpture, you will come back to Amberg. If you do not find them, well, this would really be bad luck because Amberg is a very beautiful city.

If you zoom in, perhaps you can see the little mouse I am looking at.

You have to find the other two yourself, though.

The Wedding Fountain refers to the Amberger Hochzeit (Amberg Wedding) in 1474 when Pfalzgraf Philipp married Margarete of Bayern-Landshut.

In the background you see the beautiful Town Hall.

I had a ride on the joker's shoe.

Comments