Hotel Arkadenhof

Rathausstrasse 2, Konigsbrunn, Augsburg, Bavaria, 86343, Germany
Hotel am Europaplatz
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

More about Augsburg

Dom Unserer Lieben Frau, Augsburg, Germany 2010Dom Unserer Lieben Frau, Augsburg, Germany 2010

Hofgarten: entrance gateHofgarten: entrance gate

Fuggerei, museum: living roomFuggerei, museum: living room

FuggereiFuggerei

Bars in Augsburg

by EasyEarl

Hi,Earl from upstate NY.
I saw your post about a bar that you were inquiring about.I haven't been there in many years,am going to Augsburg in September 2007.When you were there,do you remember a Gasthaus named the Pfeffemuhle?My other email is easyearl@localnet.com.Thanks,Earl.

RE: Bars in Augsburg

by mariekath

Hi earl...saw your post while surfing info about Augsburg. Will be traveling to Augsburg with my father, who was stationed in Augsburg in 1964-1968. I was born there and we are hoping to re-visit his fond memories. Any info you can share regarding the former army base? I was there in 1991 while backpacking with college roomate and was fortunate to visit the former army housing to see where I was born and lived for the first 2 years of my life. Can't wait to make this trip with my Dad, as it will be so much more meaningful. My Dad's name is Harry Pallett, he was an MP..not sure of his particulars otherwise. Thanks, Marie

RE: RE: Bars in Augsburg

by EasyEarl

Hi Marie,
Thank you for your reply to my post.I am interested in the different Army posts in Augsburg.I didn't know your Dad,but we were both there in the same time frame.I was at Infantry Kaserne when I first got there,which was turned back to the German people or government quite a long time ago.Then went to Reese Kaserne.Reese has been having a lot of rebuilding and renovating.I have some links to it saved.I can send them to you if you'd like.
Gablingen has fallen into disrepair.That used to be the airbase when I was there.I have a link for it someplace also.There is a website for English speaking people in Augsburg,that I just discovered yesterday (2/4/07).I have added you to my friends list.If you or your Dad wish to email me,I can try to get some things together that might be of interest to you.
Do you know what dates that you are going there?When I'm there,I'll revisit as many of the kasernes as I can.
Take care,and feel free to contact me at any time.I'm sometimes slow at checking the VT siteYou can email me at my regular email address if you want to easyearl@localnet.com Just put Augsburg in the subject line,as I get nailed with spam,and delete most emails that I don't recognize.
Take care Marie,and enjoy your trip,Earl

Travel Tips for Augsburg

Augsburg's Double Churches

by Kathrin_E

The Reformation in the early 16th century had actually aimed at a reform of the one Church - the result was separation, fights and finally war between the different confessions. The Augsburg Religion Peace Treaty of 1555 ended the war and accepted the Lutherans as a church with equal rights as the Catholics. The peace treaty also confirmed the right of the princes to decide about the confession of their entire territory and population.
As exceptions from this rule, the peace treaty, which had the legal value of a constitutional law, accepted those imperial cities where both Catholics and Protestants had been living side by side for decades - Augsburg and Regensburg being the most important among them.
In Augsburg, the three former monastery churches of St Ulrich and Afra, Holy Cross and St George were returned to the monastic orders. The protestants built new churches of their own next to them on the same site. The phenomenon of the double churches is a specialty of Augsburg. Two examples of these double churches are still visible: the towering St Ulrich and Afra with the much smaller protestant Ulrichskirche at the southern end of MaximilianstraƟe, and the two churches of the Holy Cross in the northwest of the old town.

Stage door

by Nemorino

The stage door of the Augsburg Theater is around on the west side of the building, towards the back.

Bertolt Brecht's first wife (the first one he was officially married to) was an opera singer named Marianne Zoff, who often performed in Augsburg. Brecht met her by going around to her dressing room after a performance and introducing himself.

They were married in 1922 and divorced in 1927.

City Hall

by Leipzig

The City Hall was erected in the years between 1615 - 1620. This Renaissance building shows the wealth of Augsburg in this time.
The building was rebuilt to its former glance in the 1950s as most parts were destroyed in an air raid in 1944 .

The City Hall is open daily from 10 am to 6 pm.

Perlach Tower

by Leipzig

The Perlach Tower belongs to St. Peter's Church and is an ideal vantage point. Between May and October you can climb up the stairs to the 70 meters high platform. Here you can have a panorama view over the city. I was in Augsburg in march and was not allowed to climb up the stairs.
The tower was built in 1182 and modyfied in the 18th century.

Bishop's Residence

by Kathrin_E

The Bishop's residence next to the cathedral is a huge complex that consists of several wings that were added over centuries. Most of the buildings show the baroque style, these were erected in the late 17th and 18th century. The outer courtyard, called Fronhof, is surrounded by economy and administration buildings while the part next to the cathedral contains the residential quarters. While the cathedral has preserved its medieval style to show its tradition, the Bishops wanted modern housing in contemporary style and turned their residence into a baroque palace. The irregular ground plan shows that this wasn't one big project but grew in the long run.

Comments