Hotel am Wald

Hotels.com Booking.com hotel.info

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 24% more and rated 15% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Bad Tölz

Roman extinguishing a fire along the wayRoman extinguishing a fire along the way

Following the signs to River IsarFollowing the signs to River Isar

Bad Tölz - seen from halfway up the KalvarienbergBad Tölz - seen from halfway up the Kalvarienberg

US goverment propertyUS goverment property

Travel Tips for Bad Tölz

Bad Toelz, I miss living there...

by alfromcolorado

Bad Toelz... I left there in September of 1991 and it was the nicest place I have ever lived. Bad Toelz has a special place in the heart for any Special Forces soldier that has been stationed there. Almost legendary.

The quiet town, the foothills of the Alps, the green forests and little green farms... The little Bavarian villages. Who wouldn't love this place?

In November 2002 I drove through there, as I had done many times since the closing of Flint Kaserne (Kaserne is the German word for military post). For many years the quadrangle had stayed the same, if somewhat empty. Now it was changed. Some city offices were there, some shops, and to my surprise a Gasthaus (inn) named Gasthaus zur Flintkaserne-The Flint Kaserne Inn!!!

I couldn't resist. I went in for a beer, even though I was due to meet some friends down in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

It was a very nice inn, comfortable atmosphere, as so many in Germany are. And of course they had Hefeweiss beer. So I ordered one and began talking with the waitress. She was younger and hadn't really known much about Flint Kaserne when we were there.

But it was so nice to have a beer again sitting in Flint Kaserne...

It had been a long time...

Comments