Alpenhotel Weiherbach

Alpenhotel
Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Berchtesgaden

Time for lunchTime for lunch

A peek insideA peek inside

Deer feeding stationDeer feeding station

KesselKessel

Public phones in Germany

by ramot418

I will be in the Berchtesgaden area of Bavaria next month.
Do German public phone allow one to RECEIVE calls and, if so, are the phone numbers usually posted on them? Thanks.

by christine.j

There are not many public phones left and it's been years that I've seen one with its number written inside. In larger cities there are telephone shops, specially set up for cheap international calls. I don't know if Berchtesgaden has one of them, the tourist information may know.

by abalada

> There are not many public phones left
In my home town there are strangely more Telekom public phones than ever. At least in the town center.
> and it's been years that I've seen one with its number written inside.
But I can confirm this. The 5 I just checked on the way to the bakery have none. And it's also form me years that I've seen ones with a phone number you can call. Telekom offered this at one time but later than in other countries. Probably too late with the upcoming mobile phones. Thus the customers never used this feature a lot.

by christine.j

This morning I had an appointment in a suburb of Mannheim and walked past one of the old telephone booths, one which still has all four walls around, plus a roof. I hadn't seen one for a long time. I checked and there was its number printed inside. So I suppose, it's the old booths which can be called. If you happen to see one of them, it may be worth checking inside.

by ramot418

Just got back from trip to Austria and Germany (Berchtesgaden). Lots of public phones everywhere - even in small villages. The telephone numbers aren't posted in them. However, it was easy using my calling card with them.

by christine.j

I hope it wasn't too expensive for you to phone your family. Just out of interest, the public phones you saw, were they of the old kind with four walls and a roof or the new ones, with just one wall?

by ramot418

I think just 1 wall, but don't remember. I just remember the "4-walled" Austrian phones. :)
It was very cheap with my calling card as I used a local 8000 toll-free access number.

by christine.j

I think the old ones with four walls had - or still have - their numbers printed inside, but none of the new ones do.

Travel Tips for Berchtesgaden

At last, the lake - Koenigsee

by iandsmith

It was my third trip to Berchtesgaden. I still hadn't done the famous scenic drive, hadn't seen the overall view from Jenner (it was obscured by cloud) and, worst of all, hadn't been in the battery boats.
The second trip I tried but the last ticket had been sold for one hour so I went and jumped off the mountain in a parachute instead (as you do) but this time I was determined and had time up my sleeve.
We picked our day, having allocated 5 nights for Berchtesgaden this trip, because I'd hate to do the trip in crap weather. Though it was chilly, inside the boat was nice and warm except for the fact that tourists continually open the windows to get photos........can't imagine I'd ever do that! It promised much and it delivers. Rosemarie had been to the Canadian Rockies and said this was better than anything she'd seen there which, I have to say, shocked me.
It costs around 12 euros per adult and, depending on the season, up to 18 boats can be running at a time which, on a lake only 8 kilometres long, gives you some idea of how popular this activity is.
Personally, I'm pleased I visited in very early spring when the snow was still present and only 4 boats were working. It must be nightmarish on a warm summer's day around St. Bartholomew's, the pictuesque little church where you can leave the boat for a while.
Around half way down the lake the boat stops, out comes a horn and the guide starts playing a tune, a few bars at a time. He then waits for the echo to return and it's pretty impressive I have to say. When he's finished he does a quick trip around the boat for tips and, if my trip was any guide, does pretty well.
I actually gave him nothing because (a) I didn't have a clue what was going on; (b) his playing wasn't all that good and (c) the talk is all in German so I understood none of it.
The church surprised me. From all the shots I'd seen I thought it was alone but, no, there are a few other buildings which I will explain in the next tip. Meantime, enjoy my shots.

Ramsau - the shock of the new

by iandsmith

It was some time before we reached Ramsau. The trail meanders a little but you'll never get lost and the main road is always nearby.
The rippling river (5) is always audible and that lovely light green colour due to the limestone. It's always the thought of what might be around the corner that drives the traveller on though, and this walk won't disappoint.
The water cascading off the sluice was one big surprise. It was an aqueduct that serves a small industry on the other side of the river and, since it was the weekend and nothing was happening, it was obviously closed and the water had to go somewhere.
In pic 4 there is a sculpted bird. It was in some industrial backyard and, particularly due to its size, it was hard not to notice.
Pic 3 shows some historical relics, particularly from grain mills that would have been driven by the stream while in pic 2 Rosemarie has her hands out feeling the snow. Now, for those millions of you for whom it is an annual occurance, it would mean nothing. For Rosemarie, it was only the second time in her whole life that she had stood out in the open while it was snowing. See, it means different things for different people.

LIKE A CAKE - THE MORE LAYERS THE BETTER

by Duffelgirl

When we went at the end of March it had just been snowing. At this time of year I would recommend warm clothes, hats and gloves. Sun-tan lotion - it may be cold but the sun's rays are still strong (especially high up). When away I always find myself wishing I had brought some binoculars. With the stunning views you can find in this part of the world I would highly recommend bringing some along. If your German is as bad as mine is - don't forget a phrase book!!

AA gun emplacements

by alancollins

Though thousands of people walk past these pieces of concrete when they walk around at the top of the Eagles Nest, but their purpose was more sinister as they were concrete bases for anti-aircraft guns.

Hintersee

by kenbac

This is a beautiful lake sourrounded by woods and mountains. In winter it will probably be frozen. Often it is frozen enough to walk accross. Also there is skating and curling on the frozen lake. In summer you can take a boat out on the very clear waters of the lake.

Comments