Huber

More about Dachau

s.s. kommandatss.s. kommandats

barrack foundationsbarrack foundations

appelplatzappelplatz

jourhaus (guard house)jourhaus (guard house)

Ok to bring an infant?

by tcleve

My husband and I plan to visit Dachau in our upcoming trip. We will have a 9 month old infant with us. Would it be inappropriate to bring him on this tour?

by leics

It will not bother your child at that age, of course, and I can find no mention of minimum age on the Dachau Memorial Museum website (http://www.kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de/englisch/content/index.htm).

However, I would be a little wary: if your child starts to cry, especially for a long time, it might make a difficult visit more difficult for others.

by Kathrin_E

Inappropriate... well. I'm hesitating. The kid won't understand anything about the place, so it won't harm him. Don't show him the photos, though.
As far as other visitors are concerned, Dachau is a very moving experience, and people will not be ready to tolerate a screaming infant. So I'd suggest showing at least a little sensitivity towards others and carrying him outside as soon as he starts screaming or is obviously disturbing someone.

by nicolaitan

Certainly agree with the above - do understand that a comprehensive visit to Dachau requires a great deal of walking, much of it on rough gravel and stone pathways. As nearly as we could determine, there is only one set of bathroom facilities located in the main building near the entrance which can leave you a long walk away should the need arise.

by lisa18752003

The recommended age for Dachau is 12 years old. There are no strict rules on this though, parental discretion is advised.

Travel Tips for Dachau

College Student

by shaytana22

Hey Mark,

thanks for writing this about me lol, albeit not completely truthfully :) In my case I didnt need to learn English, nor was I a college student, nor did you hire me, I offered but I still had fun with you guys and all the times we got lost, your friend ending up in the youth hostel in dachau, sleeping in the kitchen, by climbing through an open window hahah.

Seeing Raf's family was great too.

I cant say I have a fav thing about Dachau, as I did not go inside, both times that I was there. I just cant do it.

Christine see above

A Strong Message to all

by TinKan

One of the things that you will get from a visit here is a very strong message about life and freedom.

This is a place that everyone should visit if they are visiting Europe. There are lessons to be learned here.

This is a part of history and it should be told.

Biergärten

by ATXtraveler

The Bavarian way of life is never more evident than when you travel into the heart of Dachau and enter one of the Biergärtens. Since all 4 of us had never really been on a trip to Europe while we were in college, we tried our best to experience this type of environment first hand by going out drinking once in a while.

We mainly planned these excursions on nights that we did not have a whole lot of driving to do the next day, and in Dachau, we needed to prepare for Oktoberfest.

Here is our table full of bier... in mass and en masse.

~~~ there's a castle, too ~~~

by matseb

Ontop of the city, you'll find a nice castle with a nice view to Munich. After checking the castle you can rest in
the park or at the
coffee shop with tasteful cakes within the castle or adjacent to the park.

The castle is opened April-September: 9 am-6 pm and October-March: 10 am-4 pm
(except mondays).

4 Barriers

by shdw100

This picture shows the level of security that the camp had. The first barrier is a manmade ditch that was filled with water, followed by a barbed wire fence, then an open area, followed by a 10 foot wall, topped with barbed wire. If any prisoner got between the ditch and wall, he was shot immediately. Many prisoners in order to escape the life of the camp would purposely throw themselves into the forbidden barrier just to be shot and end their misery.

Comments