Marktplatz 4, Dinkelsbuhl, Bavaria, 91550, Germany

More about Dinkelsbühl

Wall Decoration in DinkelsbuhlWall Decoration in Dinkelsbuhl

Post Card detail on Abandoned BuildingPost Card detail on Abandoned Building

Goldner HirschGoldner Hirsch

Standing in front of St. George, looking outStanding in front of St. George, looking out

Travel Tips for Dinkelsbühl

Dinkelsbuhl memories

by Confucius

I enjoyed walking up and down the streets absorbing the small town atmosphere. The main square always has something lively going on and you can watch real Germans living their daily lives. I know it sounds kind of corny but I just felt like I was walking through a dream land. It is the Germany that everybody thinks of when building gingerbread houses at Christmas time. I simply adore my little Dinkelsbuhl! I want to adopt the town, take it home with me, and put it in my backyard. My fondest memory of Dinkelsbuhl is seeing one of my favorite fruits sold fresh at the local market within the walled city. Imagine my surprise when I found fresh rambutans available at this little town in Germany.

I bought a bag of them and shared some with a Japanese tour group I spotted nearby. I also gave one to a Bavarian boy wearing those traditional green suspenders after he watched me peel the peculiar fruit.

I never saw rambutans again during my eight country European tour, only in Dinkelsbuhl!

St. George's Minster

by codrutz

Wide-aisled late gothic church, built in 1448-1499. Inside eleven pairs of columns support a vaulted roof with a pattern of stars. Beside the main altar, on the sides there are two nice altars. From the tower of the Minster there is a beautiful view over the historic town - I didn't know this before my trip, maybe you can do this.

Dinkelsbühl

by Elena77

"Dinkelsbühl"

The small town of Dinkelsbühl, close to Ansbach in Bavaria, today still is an extraordinary example of a medieval German urban-planning context. The old part of the town is remarkably well preserved as it came through both World Wars almost without any considerable damage. So the streets and squares of Dinkelsbühl are edged by beautiful half-timbered houses and medieval ambience is sensible almost everywhere. A great part of the town walls, including numerous gates and towers have also been preserved and can be visited today.
The origin of Dinkelsbühl goes back to the 10th century when a fortress was built at the intersection of 2 trade routes at the river Wörnitz. The settlement has 1st been officially mentioned at a bestowal document of Emperor Friedrich Barbarossa as "Burgus Tinkelspuhel" in 1188. In 13th century Dinkelsbühl becomes a free Imperial Town and therefore receives important privileges. During the Thirty Years' War (1618-1648) governance of the town changes 8 times, but after staticizing of the Swedes in 1632 Dinkelsbühl has been spared from any further destruction or plundering.
Today the historical old town of Dinkelsbühl belongs to Europe's most important cultural monuments, and justifiably so!

Comments