Zugspitzstrasse 76, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Bavaria, 82467, Germany
Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Towncenter of Garmisch!Towncenter of Garmisch!

My ViewMy View

two locals, schmitty and jesse ttwo locals, schmitty and jesse t

Garmish-PartenkirchenGarmish-Partenkirchen

Zugspitzbahn

by nomad7890

I will have a couple of days in Munich and was thinking of going up to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and taking the Zugspitzbahn up the mountain.

Has anyone been there? I will be by myself and wondered if I need to take lunch, if there is a lookout place, or is it just hiking (I'm a little apprehensive of getting lost on my own).

by zoommedix

I have been, I had a car though and went up the Eibsee cable car near Grainau. It was 40 euros (2004) it takes you straight to the Restaurant so you can eat up there. If your coming from Munich by train the Zugspitzbahn would be the easier but longer approach as I believe it operates from the GP Hauptbahnhof.

Z

by margsch

The Zugspitz Bahnhof is directly behind the Garmisch train station, as far as I recall we went as far as Eibsee on a normal train and then changed at Eibsee into a cogwheel train which took us most of the way up to a Hotel. Then the last bit is by cablecar, there is a restaurant up there and viewing platform. You could take your own food along if you wanted to, if it,s a nice day you could eat outside but be aware the top can be cold so take a jacket and wear enclosed shoes. I don,t think it is permitted to wander off by yourself so just stay by the Restaurant. You might see climbers up there but they are experienced and in groups, so it,s quite ok for you to sit back with a coffee and think to yourself, I don,t want to die on my holidays!

by Kathrin_E

There are two ways up resp. down: the cogwheel train and the Eibsee cable car, which is truly spectacular but not recommended for people who are scared of heights. You can select one of the two for both ways or do a round trip with train up and cablecar down or vice versa.

There is a big building on the mountain summit with the train and cablecar station, a viewing platform, a restaurant, and everything visitors may need. I think I would take a picnic to have on the platform because a restaurant in such an isolated location can't be expected to be cheap.

by nomad7890

Thank you zoomedix, marsch, and Kathrin - looking forward to this ride. What about the town of Garmisch-Partenkirchen itself? I read something about walking around the town - where is this in relation to the Zugspitzbahn? - maybe I missed something ...

by balfor

Nomad, when are you going to be in Munich? I'm flying in there on May 22 and leaving for Krakow on May 27. If you're there at the same time we might be able to get together at some point for a mini meet before the big meeting in Krakow!

by margsch

Garmisch is a beautiful town and it is great to walk everywhere, but the day you go up the Zupspitze it will be late afternoon when you get back to Garm. would you be able to consider staying overnight in Garmisch? I generally go for a week to 10 days as there is heaps to see and do there.I make a point of going for an evening stroll after dinner,the shops there are beautifully decorated, and entire families are out enjoying themselves, and all the icecream stalls and Cafes are doing a roaring trade.

Travel Tips for Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Mountain Views

by antistar

Almost everywhere you walk in Garmisch-Partenkirchen offers stunning views of the Alpine mountains that surround it. I spent my first few hours walking in the town simply walking around in awe. The beatiful church spires and houses really add to the look. In the summer the most amazing thing was the colours. The soft greens of the grass in the near distance, the harder green of the pine trees near the tree line, the pure white of the snow on the high Alps and then azure blue of the clean skies providing the mountain backdrop.

Catholic Bayern

by MrBill

Bayern is a mainly Catholic Bundesland within Deutschland. They observe all the traditional Catholic holidays, plus the pan-German ones, too. This means that typically Bavaria is more conservative than the rest of Germany, especially in the rural areas where there has been less of an impact from immigration. Cities like Munich, which have seen people move in from other areas of Germany to work in the entertainment, television, software and light manufacturing industries are more cosmopolitan than the smaller towns and villages in Bayern.

Neuschwanstein Castle

by mvtouring

It was another dream of mine to see this lovely castle on which Walt Disney based his fairy castle. So it was with great enthusiasm that we boarded the bus early morning for our day outing to Schwangau and its two castles. Neuschwanstein Castle is a 19th-century Romanesque Revival palace on a rugged hill above the village of Schwangau near Füssen in southwest Bavaria, Germany. The palace was commissioned by Ludwig II of Bavaria as a retreat and as an homage to Richard Wagner.

The palace was intended as a personal refuge for the reclusive king, but it was opened to the paying public immediately after his death in 1886

Skiing and Snowboarding the Zugspitz

by Bryanna1028

The Zugspitz is really easy to find and wonderful for skiing. It is the tallest mountain in Germany. May I recommend that if you've never done it before, try the small slopes first at the Hausburg slope first. We went to the top first to see the view and it was so amazing we didn't want to come back down. You will get caught up and want to stay up there all day. Make sure you have time to ski! In the event you injure yourself, the Garmisch Hospital is very fast, friendly and most of them speak english (they are pretty good at putting on a cast, too) ha ha ha.

The Zugspitze

by antistar

The highest point in Germany, at just shy of 3,000 feet, is easily reached in about 75 minutes. At 44 euros for a return ticket the cost is quite high, but I found it worth the money. I know others would disagree, but perhaps I am paid too much or have low standards. This was the highest I've been, though, and my first time up a snow covered mountain in the summertime. The previous highest point I'd managed was about 2,400 meters on Mount Bromo volcano in Indonesia, and I don't believe that has ever seen a snowflake in eternity. You can also walk up the mountain for free, but if you are short on time the train is a convenient, if sometimes confusing, alternative.

It took me a bit longer than 75 minutes to reach the top. I think the announcement system broke down just before the cog wheel train reached the Grainau stop. You see I was supposed to get out there and transfer to another train for Eibsee. As this isn't explained anywhere and only ever announced on the speaker system in the train, if the system fails to work properly, or the announcer speaks during a noisy spot on the journey, you are going to have to wait another hour or so as the train returns to GAP and comes back again.

At Eibsee you have to leave the station and walk through the woods to take the aerial tramway to the top. If you look really really carefully you might catch sight of a small sign pointing you in the right direction. Failing that follow the mob and hope they know where they are going. They didn't when I followed them and I ended up walking the long way around the car park. Once you reach the terminal you can jump into the cabin and rise rapidly and breathtakingly up the steep side of the mountain. Try and get on first, though, as they cram the cabin more tightly than a London tube carriage at rush hour and you may end up with a layer of people between you and the cabin's dirty window panes.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have missed the trip to the Zugspitze for twice the price, but the service leaves a lot to be desired.

Comments