Minotel Pius Hof (Gunderkarstrasse 4 )

3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Gunderkarstrasse 4
Hotel Pius Hof
Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 24% less but rated 20% lower than other 3.5 star hotels

More about Ingolstadt

Bayerisches Armeemuseum in the New PalaceBayerisches Armeemuseum in the New Palace

Taschentorturm, inward sideTaschentorturm, inward side

Detail of the facadeDetail of the facade

Tilly HouseTilly House

Travel Tips for Ingolstadt

Herrnbraeu

by Gili_S

This is not the most common of the Bavarian beers but still very good one and full taste of Weiss beer. Its original is from here but actually the last time I had this beer was in restaurant in Olpe in west part of Germany and this picture is from there.

Close to the old city center...

by Lisalu

Close to the old city center is a wonderful park on the other side of the 'Donau' river. It was the "Landesgartenschau" area in 1992 (translated: country garden show) and it includes a rose garden, a turkish garden, a big grass field, a playground for children and a few other nice places.

Taschentorturm - Another Gate Tower

by Kathrin_E

South of Kreuztor in direction towards the river a significant part of the town wall with towers is preserved. This wall protected a weak spot in the town's fortification, the point where a small stream entered the town. In later times when the wall had no longer a military value, houses were built against it. The ground outside the wall has since then been used as gardens by the inhabitants of those houses.

Following the wall you'll soon reach another gate tower, painted white and crowned by stepped gables. It might be a bit younger than Kreuztor but not very much. The Taschentor and the adjacent part of the town wall is dated to the end of the 14th century. Taschentor is closed to car traffic, the gateway is for pedestrians and bikes only.

Visiting Ingolstadt

by gordonilla

"My relationship with Ingolstadt"

I have been visiting this Bavarian City since 1982, and it never disappoints me. It is the home of Audi and I have been fortunate enough to have been shown round the plant three times. It is amazing seeing how Audis are created. Over the years this has become much more professional and now the Audi Forum is a well visited location in the tourist plans for Ingolstadt.

The links I have with Ingolstadt originate with the friendships I established when I was party of an exchange group from my College in Kirkcaldy, Fife. During the visits, we attended events and made tours of many businesses and venues. One of the most memorable was the Herrn Brau Brewery. The make and sell excellent wiezen mit hefe.

The city is old and historic and in former times, when the State was in fact a Kingdom, the city became the stronghold of the Kingdom during times of war and threat.

It would not be Virtual Tourist without an interesting personal anecdote:

During one visit to Ingolstadt, I was in the company of work colleagues. It was all going well until I dislocated and fractured my humerus - it was very painful and I was in a very uncomfortable position for about 8 weeks. I would like to thank the staff at Das Klinikum and Der Klinik Dr Maul - I was treated well and with respect in a friendly and sympathetic manner.

I have the utmost respect for the Bavarian, if not German Health Service......remember to carry your insurance documents. I still have my xrays from the visit.

The city is an excellent place to visit - it is close enough to travel to Munich easily, but far enough to be cheaper and affordable at certain times in the year.

"750th Anniversary"

This was something I came across when I visited the city in 2000.

The city is vibrant, yet at the same time some what relaxed. There is much to do and see - so everyone can enjoy their visit.

The city council has done much self promotion and sought to expand it's business and cultural impact on the world. My recollection is that a former Oberburgermeister (or Lord Mayor) Peter Schnell did much work over a considerable number of years to make Ingolstadt a place to be! There are festivals and events - and of course like most cities they hold an annual marathon event - well three half marathons as it goes. Children, Teenagers and others, then the half marathon itself - I was very impressed with what can be said was the committment of all those participating.

"Museum of Concrete Art"

The museum is an interesting place, and you should not be confused by it's name. Concrete is a School and not a material or medium to work with. I was disappointed by this fact, I am a Concrete Technologist after all!

To qualify what Concrete Art is - it is abstract art which should be totally anonymous and highlights no figurative references or symbolic associations.

The name came from Theo van Doesburg who issued a manifesto entitled "Art Concret" whilst in Paris during 1930.

The art is generally severely geometrical, however there are some exponents of the genre who often use graceful spiral or helix shapes. On a recent visit to the museum, there was an exhibition of the photographic work of Heinrich Heidersberger. It was entitled "Aesthetik der Moderne Photographien von Heinrich Heidersberger" - it was different but very enjoyable.

Friday: More Sightseeing

by Russell_the_Wombat

Not far from the white gate tower, which you can spot far away in the middle, we found another interesting building. Its contents scared us, though: it is the museum about the history of medicine. Think of what doctors do to their patients nowadays, then imagine what they have done in former times, and imagine how they did it... *shudder*

We agreed immediately not to go in.

However, we went to have a quick look at the garden behind the museum. It is designed like a baroque garden with those boxwood hedges and full of medical plants and herbs.

In the back there is a water basin with water lilies and goldfish. I tried to talk to this big one but he would not answer me. Well, what do you expect of a fish.

Then we approached the biggest church of the city. Its roof is so huge and so much higher than the houses, it is impossible to overlook.

Shall we go in?

Autumn leaves around the church

Of course we went in to se the church. But Mommy has taught me to behave respectfully in churches and other sacred places, in order not to offend anyone. So I usually sit in the bag and keep quiet. Only when we are all alone I'll leave the bag and look a bit round.

In the treasure chamber we were all alone, so I was able to have a closer look at those beautiful golden things. What they serve for is beyond a wombat's understanding but I learned that religion means a lot to many humans and I respect it.

Those majestic steeples are somehow weird. Not only because they are a bit too short for the huge church. They are not parallel to the nave but diagonal on a corner. Seems to be an Ingosltadt speciality, because the castle has such towers, too.

Comments