ACHAT Hotel Munchen Sud

Cafe Lotter-LebenCafe Lotter-Leben

Public Ice Skating RinkPublic Ice Skating Rink

Planned 1-day trip from Munich by car, Day 2: please comment on the itenerary

by leoinv1

The goal of this 1-day drive is to visit the Linderhof and Neuschwanstein Castles, and see other things along the way.

1) Start driving South from the center of Munich at 8-9AM (take Autobahn 95 South towards Garmisch)
2) Take the exit west towards Ettal and Linderhof Castle (Route ST2060). Stop by the Ettal Monastery, spend 30-40 min there.
3) Continue driving west towards Linderhof Castle. Visit Linderhof (1-1.5 hours there).
4) Continue driving west towards Austrian border (towards Plansee Lake and Reutte) on the same road, eventually reaching the German city of Schwangau. Visit the Neuschwanstein Castle where I have a reservation at 16:55 (so have to be at the box office at 15:55 to pick up the ticket)
5) After visiting the castle spend the rest of the evening in downtown Fussen.
6) Drive back to Munich late in the evening.

Ideally, I would like to fit into the schedule the village of Oberammergau, but I don't think I have the time for it.

Would appreciate any comments, suggestions, ideas or advice. Thanks!

Re: Planned 1-day trip from Munich by car, Day 2: please comment on the itenerary

by GrumpyDiver

I've done both Neuschwanstein and Linderhof in one day, so your plan is not unreasonable. I hope you have factored in a visit to Ludwig's Venus grotto as part of your plans at Linderhof. If your timing is right, the natural fountain going off provides a nice photo op from the hill in front of Linderhof. Personally, it's my favourite of Ludwig's castles.

You might want to consider also doing Hohenschwangau castle, which is in town (it's where Ludwig II spent a lot of his chidhood) if you get into town early enough. A view of the Neusschwanstein castle from the Marienbrucke is nice (although I read somewhere that there is some restoration work going on that side of the castle, so you should perhaps check that out). I was not impressed with the pace of the tour last time I visited, because they moved you through the building much too quickly to enjoy it.

The last time we were in Fussen (2003), the town rolled up its sidewalks, so to speak, in the evening once the tourists had left and it was pretty dead. This was in August, so you may end up with an earlier return to Munich than planned

by Donna_in_India

Hi - we also did the drive from Munich but stayed near Neuschwanstein for a night before heading to GP. If you can find the time, I would definitely try to stop at Oberammergau - very pretty little place with a beautiful church. Doesn't need a lot of time to explore. (We also visited Fussen in May and not much going on at night.) Have a great time!

by lostsooner55

In my honest opinion, I would save Garmisch, the Monastery, and Linderhof for another trip. I would travel directly towards Schwangau. King Ludwig II's boyhood home, the Hohenschwangau Castle, is located below Neuschwanstein, and can be toured as well. If you haven't found this web site: (www.hohenschwangau.de), it has many helpful links for visiting the castles. The Neuschwanstein tour is about 35 minutes long. Many people expect a longer tour as the castle structure is pretty large. It simply is a matter of the castle not being finished at the time of Ludwig's death. In lieu of visiting the monastery at Ettal, you might wish to visit the Wieskirche, located in Steingaden, near the catles. Gary

Travel Tips for Munich

visit the Glockenspiel in the...

by susanm3860

visit the Glockenspiel in the Marienplatz, then have a drink in the Hofbrauhaus and watch the Bavarian dancers. I really liked the outdoor beer gardens and the market place where they sell vegetables of so many different kinds and so much color.

Neue Rathaus, or 'new...

by barcodex

Neue Rathaus, or 'new Townhall', absolutely dominates the Marienplatz. It is a nice tall building, but it looks in mysterious way much older than Alte Rathaus, 'old Townhall', just some houses away. This picture tries to demonstrate actual size of town hall and the way it dominates the square. More pictures of and information about Neue Rathaus you will find in a special travelogue.

How to keep warm in a beergarden

by sabsi

This is just a little survival trick performed by Richie when he forgot to bring his jacket to the beergarden on a cool evening. According to him plastic bags keep you warm when you wear them. And they are sexy as well, aren't they? ;)

Mike's Bike Tours!

by Nexus7

This is the funnest tour through a city I've ever been on. It's not very strenuous, just a causal strol on Schwinn Cruisers with a ringer bell. You get to bike around the English Garden, see the Glockenspiel, eat lunch at a Chinese beer garden, look at naked people, see the old sights and witness the hofbrau haus. All the while, the tour guides make it a lot of fun. Cost was $23 Euros. You need only what you can carry and decent riding clothes. Lunch moeny too. Helmets are provided and water too.

Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial

by diageva

Well ... what can I say ... I find this place terrible ... I didn't wanted to come ... I have learn the history ... I know that is important to learn about history for not make mistakes again ... but when madness come ... no learn of history can help ... I really don't feel the need for me to be in a place where the madness of few made so terror ...

I founded of extrem interest the museum inside with pictures, things, and lots of history and events in that time that try to make you understand in what kind of situations this madness came out ....

What made me so bad was the film ... seeing that film at the place maked me very upset ...
I feel that is a must see place ... but I will only recomend the history museum as very interesting ... the rest is up to you and ... warning about the rude ...
I hope that no one will misunderstand me ... I feel is important that this memorial camp exist ...

Comments