3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Booking.com eDreams Priceline.com

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Munich

Gold, pearls and precious stonesGold, pearls and precious stones

View of the Alps from the outskirtsView of the Alps from the outskirts

German food souvenirs at the duty-free shopGerman food souvenirs at the duty-free shop

Neuschwanstein CastleNeuschwanstein Castle

Cost of taxi

by svala

Does anyone know how much it will cost to take a taxi from the airport to Neuherbergstrasse? We are 4 persons? We are a bit short of time when we arrive at the airport, but is it almost as fast to take the train?
Thank you for answering!

by margsch

I looked at google map/directions and it appears to be a distance of 34km, Munich airport is a long way out of the city, 45 mins on the s-bahn. But I didn,t know which stops with u-bahn or s-bahn are near your destination. If you look at the website mvv, the public transport, you can work out how long the trip is timewise. I would say a taxi will be expensive for that distance.

by svala

Yes I know it is a long distance, but as we have little time I want to know how much a taxi would cost as it would be the easiest and fastest way to go. But if it is too expensive we have to take the train.

by abalada

Taxi will be approx. EUR 50.
With public transport you'll pay EUR 18,80 (partner day ticket). You can check connections with the MVV timetable. Travel time to the bus stop "Neuherbergstraße" is approx. 1 hour by public transport. Taxi maybe 30-40 minutes.

by balfor

Greetings! I was wondering what the URL was to the MVV site that is being referenced. I am flying into Munich (If Iceland decides I am worthy to fly to Europe... *grin*) on Friday (arriving saturday morning). I don't have major time constraints so the train is fine for getting into town. But it would be nice to have an advance plan even though I really don't mind figuring it out on my own too much. *grin*

by margsch

If you get google up just type mvv+de and it will be the first website that appears, then you can select your language.

by abalada

MVV site
DB timetable

You can also use the DB timetable. Easier to handle in my view. And it covers all of Germany (if it comes to trains even nearly all of Europe). But the DB timetable won't show prices for trips inside the MVV network.

> short on time
S-Bahn is the fastest "reliable" transport option. While it may be faster by car at off peak times, during peak times this could be a completely wrong decision.

by margsch

If you experiment a bit with the Munich public transport website you will find lots of useful information with very clear maps - click on the various symbols that appear alongside your journey. When I went in 2005 I didn,t know Munich well at all but with the printouts of these maps I was able to find my way around very easily. How long do you plan to be in Munich? Look at my page on the weekly pass, Isarkarte, I bought one of these and then just hopped on and off public transport as I wished, it was brilliant. The Inspectors can be unforgivng if you don,t have the correct ticket, being a tourist is no excuse. Also buying a ticket for every trip becomes very expensive.

by balfor

Thanks for the help! I checked out some of the site and it looks like it won't be too much of a problem. And yes, the 3 day pass will work fine I believe. I am going to be there for 5 days so I will have to decide how to handle the extra days. :-)

Thanks again.

Travel Tips for Munich

OKTOBERFEST
This popular...

by SirRichard

OKTOBERFEST
This popular festival (known also as the Wiesn) is said to be the biggest in the world. It takes place at the end of september-beginning of October. Some 6 million visitors drink about 5 million liters of beer and more than 200.000 pairs of pork sausages. Amazing but true, I was witness...
For more detailed info take a look at my travelogue

Munich Tip

by Lochlainn

I had terrible problems remembering the pronunciation of the Isartor when I was there - probably because I heard of it first as the Isar Gate and in my mind kept confusing it with the Ishtar Gate in Babylon. I actually asked one local one day on the street for directions to the Gate and obviously said it wrong. He laughed heartily and advised me to fly with Iraqi Airlines. Ho ho - who says humour is lacking in Germany?!?!

Tell everyone you meet how much you love Munich

by sjvessey

Everybody in Munich thinks that it is the most fabulous place to be in Germany, nay, the world. Try to avoid suggesting otherwise. And heap praise on the food, which is locally regarded as the best food in the world. Try something along the lines of "Mmmm I just love those white sausages... especially for my breakfast. Oh, they look so appetising, floating in a pot of water like leftovers in a toilet bowl. Give me a second helping!" and your hosts will love you for evermore.

Kaltenberger Ritterturnier

by richiecdisc

This is another example of beer leading me to greater things. I love Kaltenberg's dunkles beer but had read about a Ritterbock, only served at this medieval festival. I checked up on it and it was a bit expensive to go but we figured it was maybe the only chance we would ever get. Well, it turns out, the beer is no longer brewed but the event itself was just great. It takes place at an actual castle and everyone is dressed in costume. The jousting is quite entertaining. Oh, and they did have the dunkles, and that was just fine too. Cheapest ticket is 16 Euros. Check out the website for more details.

The Old Army Museum - as it was in 1985

by yooperprof

This was one of the sites in the city of Munich I remembered the most: it left a lasting impression upon me, much more so than some of the conventional attractions of the city. It was the old Army Museum, a place which alone among central Munich's building was left in its 1945 state with bullet holes and bomb damage. Hence it was in a tattered, semi-ruined condition when I saw it in 1985, forty years on, contrasting greatly with the rest of the inner core. But when I was doing some research to find out the recent history of the army museum, I was little surprised to find out that it has completely renovated and restored. Striking modern additions have been built to surround the old core of the museum, and it now serves as the home of the Bavarian State Chancellery.

Comments