ArabellaSheraton Alpenhotel

Karls PlatzKarls Platz

BMW museumBMW museum

Munich and Danube in October

by travelor+

What is the weather like in Munich and Vienna in October? People talk about the winter and summer but what about the Fall? Do I need a warm coat/jacket or will a down vest with a turtleneck shirt/sweater be o.k.?

by leics

The weather is always unpredictable, but you can get a rough idea of autumn temperatures from the climate stats here:

Munich: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/city_guides/results.shtml?tt=TT003680

Vienna: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/city_guides/results.shtml?tt=TT003350

As you can see, it can be very chilly....or not. So take clothes you can layer and waterproof outerwear. I think a warm jacket/coat will be more comfortable than just a down-filled waistcoat (not much good when it rains!) but that is only my opinion. You won't need a down-filled jacket, but you may well (imo) need something more than just a waistcoat in the evenings and early mornings.

by travelor+

Thanks for your reply. I am going on a Danube cruise with my husband in a week and am getting my suitcase ready. So I guess I will take a warm jacket after all. Better safe than sorry. I have been following the weather reports and the temperatures keep going down. I will check mid week to see what is predicted
and make a final decision. I do have rain gear packed!

by christine.j

It can be really warm around noon, I remember 30° on the holiday of 3rd October some years ago, but this was unusual. Even if it gets warm again, mornings and evenings are chilly, especially close to the river. There may be fog and damp cold feels worse. Pack a warm jacket and also some T-shirts, you'll need both.

by Kakapo2

Does Kachelmann still do weather as he seems to be busy in the courts (and previously in prison) at the moment???

The weather can be summer-like - but also very cold. Be prepared for everything. You cannot go without jersey and anorak or fleece jacket.

by globetrott

as you obviously are making a cruise on the danube: You will need warm clothings anyway because even on a nice, warm day of autumn in Austria you need a warm jacket for the outside decks of a danube-cruise !

Travel Tips for Munich

Any excuse for a VT drink

by sabsi

Before I went to Munich for New Years 05/06 I was talking to Andrey ('bugulma' on VT) about meeting up there. I was thinking of showing him around a bit. The day before we actually met then we were still thinking of showing him around a bit. Then we met on 2 January 2006 - my first VT meeting of the new year. In the morning I was still thinking of showing him around. It was snowing when I left Thomas' house, but not too bad. On the way to meet Andrey I changed my mind. In town it was terrible, a mixture of rain and snow came out of extremely grey clouds. I walked from Stachus to Marienplatz and was completely soaked. It was terrible!

I was happy that Andrey had apparently seen the whole of Munich the day and the morning before and we went straight to Augustiner to have beer and Weisswurst. Afterwards a long time and quite a few beers we were talking about a sightseeing walk again. We wanted to go to Viktualienmarkt. As soon as we were there we all agreed that the day was a perfect day for staying inside. So we went to Hofbraeuhaus, after all that's kinda like indoor sightseeing. ;-) It was 4 pm, when we got here. I think it was 8 pm when we left. What was officially named "A quick look into the biggest tourist trap" turned out to be a funny afternoon with Bavarian music, lots of peoplewatching and many litres of beer!!! As soon as we came out the rain had stopped. We still went to the next pub where Andrey was the only one who still ordered a beer.....

Ofcourse go to the 'October...

by Dutch

Ofcourse go to the 'October Fest'. But it's always nice and interesting to go into one of those brewery halls or cellars, because that's something you won't find anywhere else in the world. (But please don't think, THAT'S the way the Germans live and eat) Fun in the U-Bahn (Inside information)

Olympiapark

by Bregman

Visit Olympiapark, where the 1972 Olympic Games took place. This park is still a lively and crouded part of the city. Do not forget to take the elevator to the top of the tower for great views of the park and the city.

You can also check out the park WEB site. Or have a look at the tower webcam.

washing dishes in Germany

by Manyana

When I was staying with my friend in Germany and was ready to wash the dishes, I was looking for some plastic bowl/tray/box to mix the soap with some water. So I asked my friend and it turned to be that the German way of washing is different from the Saudi one.
In Germany, many people would block the basin, fill it with water, then mix it with some soap. All dishes and silvers will be placed into the filled basin. Bring some sponge and wash the dish inside this water. Then dry it with another piece of material or clothes.
I couldn't understand this as it were different from what I know back home in Saudi. My friend told me it reserves water more than my own way;^)
See the washing dishes tip in my Saudi page.
It might sound very funny, i know but very interesting. Cultural diversity even in dish washing!!

Dachau Concentration camp

by mvtouring

I did not find visiting the Dachau concentration camp quite as emotional as when I visited Auzwitz. Maybe it is because all the bunkers have been leveled bar the one they have kept to show how the people lived and you have these vast open spaces at Dachau, or maybe it is because I first visited Auzwitz. Still the terror of what happened stays with you and the camp is a stark reminder of what happens during time of war.
I ask myself the question ........... what is wrong with us humans as a specie that we could do such terrible things to others?

Comments