Muenchnerstrasse 6, Feldkirchen, Bavaria, 85622, Germany
Booking.com Hotels.com Priceline.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 20% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Munich

Their colorful menuTheir colorful menu

Pottery museumPottery museum

Neues RathausNeues Rathaus

OlympiahalleOlympiahalle

Oktoberfest Costume & Riflemen's Procession Parade

by dculpepper

Hi. We are 6 adults who will be arriving into Munich on Sept. 19 via a train from Rothenburg ob der Tauber. The train, I think we will take, arrives in Munich at 10:46. We would like to see the parade but I have some questions. I had originally thought we would put our luggage in a locker at the train station but a representative of our hotel located on Stollbergstrasse suggested we travel the Uban to the hotel, leave our luggage, and then go back to a location where we can see the parade. So, if we arrive at the train station, buy partner day tickets for traveling within Munich, catch the Uban to the hotel, leave our luggage and then travel to see the parade, I would guess the time to be about 11:30 - 11:45. Do you agree with the time line? If so, where would be the best place to view the most of the parade? I know it starts in east Munich at 10:00 and takes about 2 - 2 1/2 hours but do not know where the start of the parade will be at my time frame of 11:30 - 11:45. Thanks for any input & help with my concerns, Dana

by Turtleshell

Unless your train is late, that should be doable.
Take the U-Bahn (U3 or U6) from Marienplatz (close to your Hotel) to Goetheplatz and walk over Kaiser-Ludwig-Platz.
Google earth will prode you with directions.

by abalada

page which shows the route (red route)
Start is already at 09:40 at Maximilianstrasse.

The length of the route is 7 km. With a pace of 108 steps per minute of the parade they will need about 1,5 hours for this.

I would stick to your original plan.

> he train, I think we will take, arrives in Munich at 10:46.
The only fitting arrival time I could find is 10:42 at Munich Hbf.
Have you already tickets for your trip?

by dculpepper

You are exactly right about the 10:42 time. I was getting some of my times mixed up. Thanks!! If we dropped our luggage at the train staion lockers where would be a good place to "wait" for the parade? Thanks again for your help!!

Travel Tips for Munich

Mike's Bikes

by cmarsek

If you are tired of the same old tours then you should definitely take advantage of Mike's Bikes in Munich, Germany. A professional tour guide winds a group of pedalers through the city and makes occassional stops to point out the major monuments and to explain the history of Munich. The tour also makes stops at several of Munich's famous beer gardens and the tour concludes with a visit to the famous Hofbrahaus. Even though it rained during almost all of our 3 day stay in Munich, this tour was well worth getting wet. Everyone in Munich was soooo friendly and the city itself was just a pleasure to experience. It is a much more laid back city than most cities in the United States.

Meeting Richie and Doreen

by sabsi

Richie was one of the first people I talked to on VT I think. That's about 4 years ago. So far we had never had (past perfect, Richie ;) the chance to meet up so when I heard that he was living in Munich now and I knew that this year's company trip would be to Munich I took the chance and booked a flight for two days before the company trip started. Luckily he had the chance to take two days off from work and Doreen wasn't working all the time either so I spent the most wonderful and funny days with the two of them enjoying the beergardens and bookshops of Munich. Thanks for everything and hope to see you around here soon!

Karlsplatz/Stachus

by Henkster

This is the entrance to the Pedestrian zone and one of Europe's busiest squares.
In the middle there's a huge fountain, which was built for the Olympic Games in 1972.

Munich has one of the biggest pedestrian zones in Germany. It is like an open air mall with houndreds of restaurants, stores, cafes and many street performers entertaining the huge crowds.

Webcam: www.stachuscam.de

Prinzregent Luitpold auf der Wies'n ?? NEVER !!

by globetrott

ONLY beer, beeing brewed in the town of Munich, may be sold on Oktoberfest !!

This is an advertisment, posted in Munich, close to Theresienwiese & Oktoberfest:
The Oktoberfest - mostly called WIES'N by the locals - will allow ONLY breweries, producing their beer INSIDE the town of Munich, to be sold at the Oktoberfest.

NO exception to this rule, NOT EVEN for the descendant of the last Bavarian king, who has a brewery, but NOT inside the city limits.
Sometimes Prince Poldi is seen in his carriage in the opening ceremony of Oktoberfest, and a few years ago it was a big "scandal", when he had some bottles of his own beer ( also called "Prinzregent Luitpold") on the carriage and offered it to some friends as soon as he had reached Theresienwiese.
Police was there immideately and made sure, the old law was fullfilled...

On the other hand "Wies'n" is also a simple meadow - on this poster a meadow close to the castle of King Ludwig II , whose father had the idea for Oktoberfest once...

So if you like to drink the beer with the name "Prinzregent Luitpold" on a Wies'n - you may do it on any Wies'n except the one in Munich

btw. Prinz Poldi is very popular because of his humor...

...but it will not help him in that matter...

Another kind of ZOO :-)

by pavlag

If you have just a day or two for Munich you will most probably miss it. But if you have seen all the usual then head to the Bergtierpark in Blindham. It is a small ZOO in a suburb of Munich with views to Alps and animals typical to the region.
In the ZOO there is a walk around and THROUGH the enclosures and you can pet some of the animals. If you have kids with you they will love that, as well as huge playgroung where there are many different trampolines, inclusive one huge air bag, which sooo called me to jump on it too (but I did not, as there were too many kids - and their parents - around.
Of course there is also a small Cafe, where you can get beverages and small snacks.
To reach Blindham ZOO, take the S-Bahn S6 direction Kreuzstrasse, get off in Grosshelfendorf and then follow the signs. You will go first up the hill direction Kleinhelfendorf and then through the forest. It is about 3 km actually light hike. It also lies on the "Via Julia" and "Mangfallradweg" bicycle routes. By car it is on road St2078 between Aying and Feldkirchen-Westerham, near to motorway A8 just south of Munich.
And 14 days ago they just had fresh small lovely wild-boar babies :-) !

Comments