2-6 Promenadeplatz, Munich, Bavaria, 80333, Germany

Booking.com LHW.com Travelocity

Costs 37% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo

5 Star Luxury

WHAT THE BAYERISCHER HOF IS - This premier property and member of Leading Hotels of the World was commissioned in 1839 by Ludwig I and bought by Herrmann Volkhardt in 1897. Today management is the fourth generation of Volkhardts. It was rapidly reconstructed after damage in WWII and enlarged by the purchase of the adjacent Palais Montgelas in 1969. A major renovation was begin at the end of the 20th Century. 373 rooms and suites are available.
    The hotel offers every luxury with rooftop pool, complete spa services, a beautiful restaurant with dual spiral staircases as well as a Trader Joe's, and a 6th floor breakfast room overlooking the city skyline and offering a sumptuous and complete buffet breakfast with to-order eggs and omelets. Internet access, rental cars, high upscale shopping promenade, several bars including the famous Falk"s Bar - located in the Mirror Hall, it dates from 1839 and was the only room undamaged during wartime bombing. It meets all the strict German criteria for a 5 star hotel.

WHAT THE BAYERISCHER HOF IS NOT - new or user friendly. When we reserved we were told that standard rooms were not available and paid extra for an upgraded room. On arrival we were shown to a back room with threadbare stained carpet and torn faded wallpaper. We demanded and received a new better room pictured here but still probably not what we had paid for. Everything costs - and the fees for the minibar, room service, and computer hookups are posted nowhere. I have never been in a hotel where these prices are a secret till checkout time. The young and inexperienced concierge staff is friendly to a point but not very useful. And there certainly has been no recent renovation of the hallways or rooms which we saw and stayed in respectively. Fortunately, our one bar of soap made it - barely - through our three day stay.

Unique Quality: Our second room had no view, overlooking a courtyard, but it was a corner, large, with a sitting area and nice size bathroom, and very quiet. The beds were comfortable twins, which had to be pushed together. As above, the furniture carpet and wall coverings were dated and shall we say well-used ( see images ).
    The large and airy 6th floor breakfast buffet room offers great views of the city, just 2 blocks from the Frauenkirche, as well as a very good and comprehensive buffet ( although no better or worse than most 5 star hotels provide). The room itself was a little rundown around the edges but the largely German speaking staff were helpful and friendly. The old-fashioned marbled low ceiling lobby is hectic and crowded, reflecting its age.

LOCATION - on the Promenadeplatz, location is superb. Seems to be two blocks from most everything including Marienplatz and the Residenz except for Schloss Nymphenberg and the three famous Pinakothek museums. These are easily access by public transit. A tram runs in front, the tracks splitting nicely around a scenic little park ( Image 1 ) and U-Bahn and S-Bahn stations are only 2 blocks away. Of all the upscale Munich hotels, none has better position than the Bayerischer Hof.

• Manara's Profile Photo

Bathtub with a view

This hotel belongs to the category of the old-style grand hotels. Period touches everywhere, cushions, flowers, gilded decoration, marble bathroom. None of the "old classics" is missing.
    I confess I am rather used to de-luxe hotels in Europe, but in the room I had at the Bayerischer Hof on my last visit I was impressed by one specific feauture: the bathroom. In fact, almost always the bathrooms in hotels have no window. Here, instead, not only it had a window, it had also a view of the towers and the dome of the Teatinerkirche!
    By the way, my bathroom had also a walk-in shower.
    The disappointment, instead, was from the TV: less than 20 channels, all of them in German, and only the CNN in another language. I noticed this especially because the night before I was in another hotel (in France) that wasn't half as luxurious as this, but there were lots of TV channels in many languages.

Unique Quality: Location and service. The hotel is so central that the major historic sites are at 5 minutes' walk. The breakfast room on the 6th floor is especially beautiful, because of its panoramic terrace.

• llcole's Profile Photo

Very nice old world hotel

I spent 4 nights at this hotel (this is the view from the double room that we had). Great, central location. Nice enough room, but if you're looking for Ikea-new, this isn't the place--very old world style. Bathrooms were modern-style.

I had to arrange three separate business meetings there, as well as an evening reception for 35. The hotel had very good banquet service, and the food was great, with beautiful presentation. The business center left something to be desired, though (small, very hot, very limited hours).

Unique Quality: All the rooms I saw were decorated differently. Very good service here, though, and excellent food and banquet service for the meetings I had to arrange.

Directions: Great location, in Central Munich

• globetrott's Profile Photo

A Bavarian luxury hotel

Hotel Bayerischer hof is certainly one of the very best and most popular hotels for the "Bavarian Jet Set" , popstars, polititians and "Schicki Mickies"

On my picture you may see "Dreifaltigkeitskirche" that is just a few meters from the hotel. - the interior was made by C.D.Asam, have a look at my tips "Off the beathen path" for the great interior !

Unique Quality: The very best quality at one of the best places in the very centre of Munich for a very special, high price...

In your travelbooks you might find "Palais Montgelas" with great empire-halls - it is in fact part of the hotel Bayerischer Hof.

Directions: In the very centre of Munich - on Promenadenplatz

• latte18's Profile Photo

stay in a historic hotel

This grand hotel was opened in 1841 and has been owned and operated by the same family for more than four generations. Inside the beautiful, historic buildings, you'll find an elegant lobby and some of Munich's (and even Europe's) largest guest rooms.

The hotel offered 5 unique types of room. Each type is decorated by a different interior designer. The result? One of the most elegant, stylish, comfortable and grandest rooms I've ever stayed in. Although, I'm quite ashamed I didn't remember which type of room I stayed in. Service and facilities are first class, as expected. There are three restaurants and six bars (yep, six!). The breakfast buffet spread was also marvelous. The hotel's location was also very convenient to explore the rest of Munich.

The Bayerischer Hof was definitely one of the best and grandest hotels I've stayed in.

Unique Quality: - 5 unique types of room, each designed by different designers
    - grand and historic building

More about Bayerischer Hof Hotel

from the 6th Story of the Bayerischer Hof Hotelfrom the 6th Story of the Bayerischer Hof Hotel

by GraceH

I will be in Munich on business and I've been told that we're staying at the Bayerischer Hof Hotel. Does anyone know if there's any reasonably priced shopping around there, vegetarian-friendly places to eat and other stuff I might be able to see on little escapes I may manage in-between meetings?

Thanks!

RE: Bayerischer Hof Hotel

by warobison

Several years ago when we would visit Munich with our students, several of them were vegetarians and enjoyed eating at Buxs (Frauenstrasse 9) near the Viktualienmarkt. There's a huge selection and you pay by the weight of your choices. I did a web search for it, and apparently it's still in business, and I don't think that it's very far from the Bayerischer Hof.

RE: RE: Bayerischer Hof Hotel

by GraceH

Excellent tip! Thanks so much.

Comments