Ferienhof Mair

Hohenschwangau CastleHohenschwangau Castle

3 days in Munich with a 1 year old

by punair

Hi fellow travelers,
My husband, I and my 1 year old girl will be in Munich from July 4-7th. So we have most of 4th and whole of 5th and 6th. 7th morning we are flying out. We are staying in a hotel close to the city center.
As of now this is what I have planned, please let me know if its too little/too much with a 1 year old
4th - marienplatz( city hall, cathedral, museum, ,market etc). Dont know if we can do all in a day.
5th - Schloss Nymphenburg, BMW museum
6th - would like to visit Dachau and also if possible Neunschwanstein. If both not possible in a day which one would you suggest?

Should we avail of the hop-on-hop-off tours? Does this itin look ok. Day 2 is it poss to do something else. I havent kept it too busy sinceday 1 may spill over and since we live close to marienplatz, we can catch up on what we missed on day 1.
Anything I have to keep in mind with a 1 year old?

Thanks in advance
Priya

by Maryimelda

I feel your first day will be fine, as those places are all in close proximity to each other. I'm afraid I know nothing about the places you have mentioned for your second day. Your third day is impossible, I'm afraid. You are talking about going in two different directions. You will need a full day for Neuschwanstein and at least half a day for Dachau. I would opt for Neuschwanstein, it is a lovely trip by bus or train and would be happier for the little one than Dachau, although I full realise that a one year old may not be able to tell the difference. Then again who knows? Maybe she will be able to distinguish the sad place from the happy one. In any event do enjoy your time in Munich. It's a wonderful city.

by Kathrin_E

Dachau is no place to take a small child. The memorial site does not have an age limit, though (like Auschwitz has). The website says: "There is no special exhibition for children at the Dachau Memorial Site, and some of the content may not be appropriate for children under 12; however, visitors will not be turned away based on age." The documentary movie they show is classified 12 and over.

A one year old will not understand much except the general mood. However, think of the other visitors around you. I would not want a screaming or even a laughing child next to me when I am struggling with my feelings at such a place of horror... (I know I will be beaten up for that view again but adults have rights, too.)

Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau make a good day trip, so better see these. You can easily fill a day there, including travel time.

by gregbee

I agree with Kathrin E. The emotions invoked by such places could be disturbing for a child, whatever their age.
I'm sure a child would much prefer the fairytale castles such as Neuschwanstein.

by punair

thank u all for ur comments. Will rule out Dachau then:)

by June.b

Priya, I was juz in Munich 2 weeks ago and I went on my own exploring the Marienplatz area - good for a day.

Go for the Neuschwanstein castle, it's a marvel, though going up is a hurdle for a 1-year old. The way is a bit tiring if you walk up the castle but there are available transport like the horse-drawn carriage, and i think there's a bus though i opt to walk, and it's a long walk. There are many travel agents representative right at the main train terminal who offers this tour at EUro35/person incl. of train+bus travels and with a group and a travel guide unless you opt to drive. I chose the radius tours, they are reliable.

Compared to Dachau and if you still have time, the Rothenburg tour is a good choice also for Euro35/person from same travel agents at the main train terminal, the kid may appreciate it as there are lots of teddy bear and stuff toys shops and christmas shops in Rothenburg, lovely well-preserved medieval town that looks like a fairytale town.

Have fun!

Travel Tips for Munich

Avoid the Deutsches Museum! I...

by katiejt

Avoid the Deutsches Museum! I was dragged along there TWICE during my stay, and it certainly didn't seem any better the second time! If you like transport museums, you'll probably love it here, and maybe there are other parts of it that are great, but in my experience, it's just a room full of cars, then a room full of planes, then.......you get the picture.
Although I didn't do this, other people i was with did a cycling tour of the city - which was supposedly really good. I think they were run by a guy called Mike, and they're done in English. We went to visit the Olympic stadium, which was really great, even for me, a complete sport-hater! Go up the tower to get a fantastic view. We went when there was work being done on the swimming pool and we managed to sneak in there too...

Bavaria is the richest region...

by j-san

Bavaria is the richest region of Germany. Many people have large homes, which although modern, often have 'bavarian' elements or areas. This reminds me of the Japanese. The Japanese too have modern homes/apartments but will often have a 'Japanese room' somewhere in the house. Here I am in the 'traditional Bavarian room' of my old boyfriend's parent's place. His great-great grandfather had carved many of the pieces...

Uncover your head in churches

by Manyana

usually i visit the religious temples of each country i visit, so i've been to many churches as many as the number of my hair,lol. so my friend took me to this church, as she knows how much i love architecture. i was wearing my winter hat and she asked me to take it off. i was surprised.

"it's a sign of respect to take it, and there should be nothing between you and god", even the hat was a barrier. i was really amazed, how religious (or traditional) she was, very amazing!

in contrast to the culture i originally come from, covering the head is a sigh of respect and modesty and if someone want to show their arrogance off, then they'd take it off.

isn't it fascinating how one thing can be seen as respectful to some and disrespectful to other? so uncover your head if you are in a bavarian church. make sure to listen before you jump into deep waters and judge everone around

TRUE STORIES

by LysDor

Almost everything you have heard about Munich is true. First of all, M√ľncheners are delightfully jolly, they eat hearty food, and they drink beer with breakfast. Then, when it comes to funny hats, Bavaria leads the world: Mid-afternoon, you'll see respectable middle-aged men in the beer hall wearing Alpine hats with what looks like a huge shaving brush sticking up at the back. And, yes, they do sway to the music of the oompah bands, and they do clash giant beer steins together. In fact, for once, everything the tourist board has been telling you is accurate.

"Off The Beaten Track" or "Must See Activity"

by bobyn

Dont know whether I should call this a "Must See Activity" or an "Off The Beaten Track". Saying -must see- makes me sound like a very sick individual because it is in fact a nudest park. I feel that saying -off the beaten track- reminds visitors that this is a local spot, as opposed to a tourist area (IMO in my opinion), and maybe just bear this in mind when visiting. We went there modestly. We were fully clothed, walked about, sat for a hile, didnt glare, minded our own business, and enjoyed this activity which was alien to us Corkonians from Ireland. These were work colleagues, lunching together nude, or management figures with brief cases nude walking alongside each other. Unusual which is why I say "Must See", but since I have included it here, I would also like to please say, Be Polite. Yes people are happy nude here, but surely being viewed as tourist attractions may not be so appealing to them. I say "Off The Beaten Track", because this English Garden does not appear to be advertised. I guess again, it is a local Munich spot, it would be a shame to intrude and invade this freedom and relaxation. This we found on a student backpack book we had. As always, please correct my assumptions if they are incorrect!

Comments