Arnulfstrasse 20, Munich, Bavaria, 80335, Germany

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Hotel Amba

Centrally Located Munich Hotel

by Jehcekah about Hotel Amba

The central location of this hotel is the best thing that it has to offer. Located just west of the Hauptbahnhof and on the tram tracks, there are many opportunities for city travel. We stayed there on two separate occasions. Our first room was a triple, which had two twin beds pushed together and one separate twin bed. The bathroom was very small and the shower stall didn't drain properly. The room was tiny and had no character. The second time we stayed at the Amba, we had a very large double room with a huge bathroom this time with a bathtub. This room was more like what we had hoped to be staying in for our honeymoon. The hotel provides a breakfast every morning with a variety of foods available. There is access to a computer which has internet capabilities but it is 2,60 Euro per 1/2 hour and more money for every 1/2 hour thereafter. Really, all in all, the hotel was standard but it's location and convenience were a plus for us.

Hotel Amba, MunichHotel Amba, Munich

King Ludwig II's sleighKing Ludwig II's sleigh

Neues RathausNeues Rathaus

eins, zwei, g'suffaeins, zwei, g'suffa

Train or Car from Munich Airport to Berchtesgaden

by bmajor98

I'm arriving at Munich airport on a Monday in August. My concern is making it to a tour at 1:15 P.M.in Berchtesgaden. The plane is supposed to arrive at 9:00 A.M. but only has a 42% on time rating. What gives me the best chance of making it in time. Renting a car at the airport and driving or taking a direct train from the airport, if that is possible?

by GrumpyDiver

Very low probability of success with the train. You will be taking the local trains and I suspect with wait times you need to figure on 3+ hours of travel, and plus waiting times for the trains, plus several connections. Depending on where you are coming from, clearing customs, immigration, picking up luggage, buying train tickets and getting to the train will take at least an hour.

I assume you will have to take the S-Bahn from the airport to the main station in Munich and change there for a local train or bus, at the very least. Check the Deutsche Bahn website at:

With a car, you may at least have a chance. If I remember correctly, I did the drive from Munich to Bad Reichenhall (which is in the same general area of Berchtesgaden) in about 2 hours, with most of the drive on the Autobahn. So if all goes well, you still have an hour or so of slack in the schedule for flight delays and other delays on the road.

It's a bit tight for my liking, but it at least looks possible.

by christine.j

This is hardly possible by train. There is a train leaving the airport at 9:42, which is about the earliest you could get, if everything runs smoothly.
Even when using this connection through Salzburg in Austria, you will arrive in Berchtesgaden at 13:01. You'd need to change trains twice.

By car it's about two hours, only if there is not much traffic - not very likely in the main holiday season in one of the main touristy areas.

Can't you book a later tour?

by bmajor98

Thanks for the info. I can't book the tour later. They only run one tour a day at 1:15. I'll have to make the tour the following day and tour Munich for my day of arrival.
Thanks again,
Dean

Travel Tips for Munich

Englischer Garten

by bugulma

English Garden is one of the biggest city parks I've ever seen. It is laid not far from the city center and you get it by walk in 5 muinutes. The garden appeared due to Graf Rumford in the beginning of XIX century and nowadays it has 373 hectares.

I was happy to find that...

by mgard27

I was happy to find that Germany felt a lot like home.
As I walked through the streets of Ottobrün, I was impressed at how clean everything was. There were recycling bins everywhere and people bring their own bags to the grocery store. If you don't have your own bag with you, you'd better plan on figuring out how to ask for one in German!
The trains in Germany are modern, clean and fast.

Things run smoothly. People obey crossing signals at street corners. The German language itself is quite lyrical. Because it has so many guttural sounds, I thought it would grate on my nerves, but it was nice to hear. Perfecting the accent, though, is quite another thing.

Interesting fact: apparently, no one asks for a to-go container at restaurants. This is probably true all over Europe. I was at a restaurant and couldn't finish my dinner. I asked if I could take most of my uneaten entrée with me (a common practice in the US), and the woman seemed confused at first. Then she put the food in one of the restaurant's tupperware containers for me to take. Oops! I didn't realize I was asking a lot, but they still accommodated me. How kind!

Even if you don't speak German (which you should definitely try to do--bring a phrasebook), you can still get around. A lot of people speak English. Those who don't might speak another language, if you know one. I had a pleasant conversation in Spanish with a 90 year-old German woman at the bus stop in Ottobrün. Germans are not in any way hostile toward Americans, which was a nice change after being in Paris!
I also was touched by a gesture made by an older German woman at the train station. I was carrying my backpack and looking for someplace to sit. The only place available was a staircase covered in dried soda, dirt and general train station slime. I didn't know it, but she was watching me. She saw that I was discouraged and took her pretzel out of the paper bag it comes in. Then she ripped the bag open, gave it to me and said, 'Bitte,' showing me that I should put it down on the steps and have a seat. What a wonderful, sweet thing to do! I love the Germans!

Paragliding - Just Try It!

by claudia1975

Paragliding is a fun activity, which lets you enjoy nature, the beautiful scneery south of Munich with many lakes nestled among rolling hills and meadows, framed by mountains and the feeling of absolute freedom. The Paragliding school in Oberaudorf, 1 hour south of Munich offers week-end classes on Saturdays and Sundays for 100 Euro (in summer). You get an instruction into paragliding theory and can use all the necessary equipment. Knowledgable and experienced teachers guide you via audio sensors when you make your first moves in the air, gliding down a nice little beginners ski slope. You need no prior knowledge or flying expereince to take such a week end class. - only stable shoes (hiking or running shoes)
- something to eat and drink for lunch

Well, it's not in Munich, and...

by katiejt

Well, it's not in Munich, and I think plenty of tourists find it......but go to Tegernsee - it's absolutely beautiful! Tegernsee is the name of the lake that several towns are situated around, but is also the name of one of those towns..... Tegernsee Gymnasium (school) used to be a palace, and is absolutely amazing. There seem to be a lot of really nice ice cream parlours around here too!!

Comments