Fuerstenstrasse 12, Munich, Bavaria, 80333, Germany
Travelocity Orbitz.com Expedia.com

More about Munich

Detail at the Rich RoomsDetail at the Rich Rooms

The Cheese Shop at the MarketThe Cheese Shop at the Market

Mozart chocolate (I know Mozart's from Salzburg!)Mozart chocolate (I know Mozart's from Salzburg!)

BierbratlBierbratl

Where to stay with kids? Apt? Hotel?

by YoTravel

Would you be able to recommend a few good hotels/apartments in Munich? Any great websites that I should look into? Thank you very much.

Re: Where to stay with kids? Apt? Hotel?

by leics

The two best websites for European hotels, imo and that of many other VT-ers, are www.booking.com and www.venere.com

Bioth are reliable, both have good mapping and rates which are usually lower than those found on the hotels' own websites or elsewhere. Most importantly, both have honest guest reviews; you can't post a review unless you have completed a stay booked through either site.

Neither will take any money from you unless you do not turn uyp; you simply pay the hotel as usual. Venere lists apartments and b&bs as well as hotels.

I always use one or the other when I'm travelling to Europe.

Re: Where to stay with kids? Apt? Hotel?

by YoTravel

Thank you very much. I'll check them both out.

Travel Tips for Munich

Go see Nymphenburg Castle. It...

by CK932

Go see Nymphenburg Castle. It has beautiful gardens and all you want to say is, 'it's good to be the king'. I am not sure if a king lived there but some really rich guy did with awesome taste in architecture, and there's even an entire room with nothing but paintings of lovely women (probably all his dates). It's next to the Munich Botanical Gardens and you can spend a wonderful day seeing both. Catching a Picasso exhibit the we happened to come upon and shopping for anything made with hazelnuts. We were with friends who live there so we got to eat at out of the way places. The best Greek food I ever ate was in Munich. Imagine that!

Munich Tip

by Lochlainn

I really liked wandering around the Altstadt area, even though the weather was abysmal the last time I was there, there are quite a few nice little coffee shops and cafes to dive into out of the rain. I took a fancy to this little statue - to me they were just as graceful as the much lauded carillon dancers on the Rathaus.

Should I tip for WC or not?

by wildstrawberries

There are 3 kinds of WCs in Munich:

1) Unattended(free) - in U-bahn stations mostly

2) Attended - in shopping centres/fastfood restaurants

3) Unattended (Coin-operated lock) - in less crowded towns or nearer to the countryside

If you feel obligated to pay for toilet usage, DON'T! Many locals are put off by this practice of paying for use of toilet/tipping of this so-called 'keeper', who DOESN'T actually clean the toilet.

I often wonder why McDonald's and Burger King allow these people to sit outside the toilet collecting a faux-compulsory fee for usage of their WCs. If you must, tip the cleaners.

Few packing tips

by upesnlwc

Shoes: Take brown or black leather shoes. From what I saw, Europeans don't wear tennis shoes unless playing a sport, like tennis :). Better not to stand out.
The fasions I saw were really no different, so just normal sweaters and kakis were perfect for me. Make sure if you have anything electric to pick up adapters before you leave. Take you digital camera and an extra memory card. There are so many photo ops that you can quickly run out of room on your card. I take my laptop everywhere with me, so I tend to upload my pictrues to the computer evey couple days. This way, I can hop on the internet in a cyber cafe, and order prints that will be waiting for me when I get home.

Dachau - interesting look at history

by alysania

Being a history major, I had been interested in seeing things from the other side. I met up on the bus to the site with a tour guide who was in training and they were trying to gather people for a free tour around the site. I jumped on the deal and took the free tour and learned TONS of interesting facts. Walking around the site alone isn't enough to really get to know what happened there. The movie is well worth your time, but it contains the harsh truth and censors nothing, so be warned. Take your time here and get the full effect of the site. It is well worth your time. I took about a half day to go through everything.

Comments