Hotel Konigswache - a SNR Hotel

Allosaurus skullAllosaurus skull

Nymphenburg chapelNymphenburg chapel

Lamm'sLamm's

Hohenschwangau CastleHohenschwangau Castle

Kindly help me on my queries, about my MUNICH short visit...Thanks!

by ocihc80

I will be travelling alone in Munich on JULY, and i will be spending 2days and 1 night...

During this short trip, my only free time to look around will be 9pm onwards on my first day and the whole day up to 8pm on my second day. Please help me answer the following:

1) Please advise a 2 - 3star hotel (Budget 50 Euros below) near the marient plaza.
2) Trains from airport to marient plaza and vice versa.
3) Interesting places i can visit during my stay and how to get there... I wanted also to visit the famous castle's, bars etc...
4) Other tips or guides are welcome.

Appreciate your help. Thanks in advance!

by Turtleshell

1) I am sorry, but I doubt you'll find a hotel near Marienplatz that charges you no more than 50 Euro per night. Try Hotel Andra (Goethestrasse 38, 80336 München) instead.

2) http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de
or

3) I'm sorry again, but why don't you just read the numerous tips here on vt?

by margsch

You appear to have one late evening and 1 day so you are very restricted what you can do in that time. If you enjoy museums there is the Deutsches museum which is very interesting, alternatively Nymphenburg palace would not take as much time. However the castles are some distance away and would probably require most of 1 day, you could ask at your Hotel reception to book you on a tour. I think there is also a double decker bus which drives around Munich and there is a commentary.
S-bahn lines 2 and 8 both leave from the airport into the city.

by ocihc80

Dear All,

Thank you once again for your reply...

I got a nice 2 star hotel with breakfast (53BD) 200meters from the train station and 1.5km from Marienplatz, it is called:

Hotel Jaeger´s Munich
Address Senefelderstr. 3, Ludwigsvorstadt
München, 80336
Germany

For anyone knows this hotel, please comment if there are any cons/negative things. And also kindly let me know what train from Munich airport will pass on this area.

Happy tavelling!

Best regards,
Chico

by margsch

Your Hotel is only a few hundred metres from the main station, catch S8 from the airport to the main station (Hauptbahnhof) then a 6 minute walk.
Google mvv+de and the first website that appears will be the Munich public transport website. Click English then in the journey planner on the left type in franz josef airport for departure and senefelderstr 3 as destination. When the next page appears you can click on the pdf symbol and print off a map of the exact location of your hotel.

Travel Tips for Munich

If you come here you have to...

by cjohnson46

If you come here you have to goto Oktoberfest! It's not the only reason to go but It's the best one I Can think of.(BEER) [please insert your best memory of Munich or what you miss the most when you are away from Munich]
BEER!!!

In the castle courtyard the...

by giocatto

In the castle courtyard the facades are adorned with illusionist paintings that delude the viewer into seeing oriels, window frames and molded corners. Below the Hohes Schloss is the magnificent baroque complex of the former Benedictine Monastery of St Mang, whose history goes back to the 8th century. In addition to the Basilica, the largest and most magnificent of the numerous baroque churches in Füssen’s medieval center, where the oldest preserved fresco in Bavaria (about 980, Teichenau School) can be viewed in the east crypt, it is in particular the Füssen Heritage Museum that is well worth seeing. The richly decorated baroque halls give an impression of the earlier prosperity of this Benedictine collegiate church. In the Anna Chapel, accessible through the museum, the Füssen Dance of Death is on view, Bavaria’s oldest Dance of Death cycle still preserved.

The museum’s own collection of valuable historical lutes and violins recalls Füssen’s position as the cradle of European lute-making, where in the 16th century the first European lute-makers’ guild was founded. Regular tours of the town, the museum and the churches as well as special tours for groups are available throughout the year.
Entertaining festivals against an historical backdrop, open-air culture on the market squares or in the courtyards and the Christkindles Städtle, or Christmas Market, in the pre-Christmas season invest Füssen’s medieval center with a magic of a very special kind. The town’s high-caliber program of events has had a new cultural highlight to offer since April 2000: the premiere of the musical “Ludwig II – Longing for Paradise” in the newly-built Neuschwanstein Musical Theater carries the spectators off into the dream world of the Bavarian fairy-tale king and is Bavaria’s first major musical.

Bayerisches Fruestueck : Bayern typical breakfast

by ptitetoile

The typical (second or brunch) breakfast has the following elements :

Weisswurst (white sausage)
Süsser enf (sweet mosterd)
Breztel
HB-Weissbier (HB white beer)
or Apfelschorle (sparkling appel juice)
or tea

I had the chance to eat it the day after the wedding of my friends at their home with their family...this kind of breakfast is allways a good moment shared with friendly people!

Christmas-markets in Munich

by globetrott

The most pupluar christmas-market in Munich is on Marienplatz and in parts of Kaufingerstrasse.

BUT in my opinion the very best of all is the Weihnachtsmarkt in Schwabing, directely on the square of Münchner Freiheit.

In Schwabing you will be able to buy small works of local artists and you are able to taste great food from all over the world :
My favorites were :
Scamorzzo - a bread with a thick slice of roasted cheese
Soup from Eritrea
Garlic bread

The Schwabingerweihnachtsmarkt is open daily from 1st saturday in Advent till including dec.24th:
12.00 noon - 08.30p.m.

see also the link below !

1972 Summer Olympics

by asianbelle

Maybe I was still a kid when it happened, but its story moved me so much that it had been one of my fondest dreams to visit the site of the 1972 Munich Olympics.

There was not much to see except for the site itself. Thus, there were only very few tourists, and most likely, they were there to view the latest models of BMW which was having a car show at the time of our visit.

From Marienplatz, take U3 going to Olympic Zentrum. The stadium is 15-20 minutes on foot from the zentrum.

Comments