Hotel Stadt Rosenheim

I'm on the WeissbeerI'm on the Weissbeer

Hohenschwangau CastleHohenschwangau Castle

Sofitel Bayerpost and surrounding area

by Leovero

For a meeting in Munich I had booked rooms for me and my boss at the Sofitel Bayerpost Hotel, but now a colleague is telling me I'm mad, because the area around the Hauptbanhof is Munich's red light district, full of prostitutes at night and of othe "undesirable" people. I have never been in that area at night. During the day it seemed quite a normal and lively part of the city, moreover several other upscale hotels are nearby, and my colleague was in Munich only once and it was several years ago.
Please tell me what you know about that area, I still have time to change the reservations, but I would do it only if I received reliable advice from people who know more than that colleague.

by Maryimelda

Whether your colleague is right or wrong, I really don't know, but what I do know is that I have stayed in the Hauptbahnhof area of Munich and I never saw anything that could ever make me feel the slightest bit nervous. It is a wonderfully convenient part of the city in which to stay, so just leave it at that. Ibis hotels are usually very good, stick with it.

by GrumpyDiver

Train stations in Europe do seem to attract some of the less desirable elements in some places. That being said, we stayed at the Le Meridian, perhaps a 5-minute walk from the main station in Munich and had no issues whatsoever. Both of our daughters were with us and we did not have any discomfort wandering around the area and were at the train station daily.

by yvr

Past guests who have rated it on TripAdvisor rate it #4 out of 366 hotels. No mention of "undesireables" etc. as your colleague has mentioned. I would stay there in a heart beat.

by mccalpin

Gee, I guess the "pros" have moved from the Ostbahnhof to the Hauptbahhof...Years ago, while working at an office building on Rosenheimerstrasse on the east side of town, on the way home one evening, our German host (a young guy with a sense of humor) took us by a side street near the Ostbahnhof and showed us a line of cars, each with the door open and the overhead light on, showing a woman inside...waiting...for business...My traveling companion was a proper young woman from Alabama, and the concept rather shocked her (just as the "campfire girls" on the side of the road in Rome surprised me at 19 when I first lived there), but unless you were looking for a, ah, er, "transaction", they had no interest in bothering you.

In the recent years, it is true, as someone noted, train stations seem to accumulate more drug user types, but, again, unless you are looking for such (don't) or are falling down drunk (don't), they by and large won't bother you either...if for no other reason than the police leave them alone when they leave upright citizens alone.

If you're in a hotel you're happy with, I'd stick with it, as the staff will want to keep you happy...including advice on what to avoid...if anything...besides, for some people, having such types around is part of what makes the city center "lively"...

Bill

by Kakapo2

Personally I would not stay there, rather in Schwabing/University area or around Marienplatz - but you will not have a problem in the Hauptbahnhof area. But it is right, it is a major red light area, with lots of strip clubs, peep shows, etc.

Travel Tips for Munich

Hofbrauhaus Muenchen im...

by andreslo2000

Hofbrauhaus
Muenchen im Tal 12 My fondest memory on Munich is this long talk with a waitress in this tavern (Brauhause). Well what was all this about? Let me tell you. I have oppinion of my own that 'Apfelstrudl' (apple strudel) should be eaten cold, not warm out of microwave. So I ordered a cold one. Of course, I got a hot one. Then the conversation begun. I was for cold, the old lady (by the way she was the oldest waitress I've ever seen :-) wanted to persuade me that hot strudel is the right one. I expect your oppinion. THX!

Frauenkirche, some info

by bugulma

The Cathedral began to be built in 1468 by Herzog Sigismund and continued by Joerg von Halsbach. The towers were finished to 1488. The interesting style of the towers' roof dates back to 1525 and it is beginning of Renaissance. During WWII the Cathedral was damaged and was reconstructed step by step. The reconstruction works were finished in 1994.

Take your own food to beer gardens

by claudia1975

In all Munich beer gardens it is allowed to bring your own food. You will see many families coming to the beer gardens for lunch or in the evening, bringing huge baskets full of bread,cheeses, saussages, salads and spreads, pickeled cucumbers and fruits. You will have to by something to drink and then can enjoy a nice picnic under large shadowy trees. So maybe buy some food in local stores and just add a “Helles” beer or some fried chicken or grilled pork from the beer garden.

Munich is an important...

by AndreasK

Munich is an important cultural center, with opera, theater, ballet and concert seasons. Every June the young crowd is gathering in the streets of Munich to partcipate in the Union Move which compares to the Love Parade in Berlin. If you like techno music you will love the Union Move. If you want to see more, just click on the image...

Hubertus brunnen

by yashiko

This lovely building hosts a well. At first I didn't know what it was. Only after I started to look some up on the internet I found out it's purpose. The building is quite small but has verry nice sculptures on it. It is a little bit misterious. Especialy in wintertime when it's closed and you can only have a glimpse of the interior trough the windows.
It was build by Adolf Von Hildebrand in 1907. I found a website about him and his works. Some pretty good things he has made.
I actually found this place when I walked back to the U-bahn after I visited the Nymphenburg palace. It's on the other side of the Nymphenburger Kanal .

The nearerst U-bahn is Gern