Schillerstrasse 11A, Munich, Bavaria, 80336, Germany

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 28% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Comfortable Hotel Near the Train Station

Hotel Royal is a fine choice for a reasonably-priced, comfortable hotel located near the train station. The service is excellent, the rooms are comfortable, and an impressive hot and cold buffet breakfast is available (included if you book directly, but sometimes costs a few Euros extra if you book through a third-party website). I stayed in a single room, which cost EUR 69 per night, but because I was staying more than 3 nights, I got the 4th night free.

The only drawback to this hotel is its location, on a seedy (but safe) street lined with strip clubs and a 24-hour sports bar. The late night noise from these can be a problem for light sleepers in rooms facing Schillerstrasse. If this is a concern for you, request a quieter room in the back.

Unique Quality: - Comfortable 3-star hotel near the train station
    - Hot buffet breakfast included
    - Complimentary 24-hour automated coffee bar for guests
    - Free Wi-Fi in rooms

Directions: From the train station, exit towards Bayerstrasse, cross the street, turn left, then turn right on Schillerstrasse. From the Hauptbahnhof S-Bahn / U-Bahn station, look for the "Schillerstrasse" exit. Hotel will be about 100 meters away on the left.

• dizzneyfan's Profile Photo

Hotel close to train station!

I booked this hotel solely on its proximity to the train station in Munich. I was a little concerned what type of hotel we were staying in when we walked through the neighborhood...there were sex shops and nudie bars up and down the street.

When we checked in, we found that our rooms were on the 7th floor. Unfortunately, the lift only went up to the 6th floor and we had to lug our heavy bags up the extra floor to our room. I was a little nervous because the carpet on the stairs and in the hallway were a bit worn and old and I was hoping that the rooms were not in the same shape.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that our rooms were BIG and CLEAN...clean being the most important factor. :) I loved the hardwood floors and the comfortable beds. There were 6 adults traveling together so I booked 2 triple rooms. The triple rooms were huge! I was surprised by how small my bathroom and shower area were. The other triple room had a rather large bathroom and shower area.

I would definitely recommend this hotel. Please do not let the sex shops deter you from making reservations here. I was traveling with my parents (both 60 years old) and these businesses didn't bother them a bit. Also, both nights we got back to the hotel pretty late in the evening and were never bothered by anyone on the street.

Unique Quality: * close to the train station
    * nice free breakfast buffet
    * free internet at work station near the front desk

• Sex shop

the hotel is walking distance from the main train station, pretty good location. The main problem of the hotel also is its location. it is on a street that is full with sex shop, i generally dont feel unsafe there, but if you are going with your parent or granny, best avoided. hotel staff is ok, room is spacious but the bed is not very comfortable.

• saobartolomeu's Profile Photo

Great Location - Great Deal

Hotel Royal is a great place!
    If you're a light sleeper request a room in the rear (MUCH QUIETER).
    The staff is exceptionally nice and helpful, the breakfast is great, its within walking distance to the main train station and all other public transportation and a short walking distance from Marienplatz.
    It not be a 5 star hotel but if you're looking for a clean place to crash after a long day of sightseeing then this is perfect.

The rooms are clean and comfortable and we got a great deal on-line.
    Loved our stay.

• antistar's Profile Photo

Hotel Royal

This is a very clean, cheap and conveniently located three star hotel a stone's throw away from the main station. It's location on Schiller street is right in the thick of the sex shops and live strip show cabarets, but don't let that put you off. Many good hotels are located in this area, and despite the sex shops it isn't all that seedy, and not in the slightest bit dangerous. There are no drunks, pimps, drug addicts or any of the usual rubbish you find in such areas, and plenty of good cheap places to eat, like Ali Babas.

The hotel itself offers three star comfort: cable TV with mostly German channels as usual, but at least it has CNN, BBC World, along with one Spanish, French and Italian channel. The bed is very comfortable, and the en suite shower clean and new. It's a little rough around the edges, and the rooms are a bit small, but the place is very efficiently run by some very friendly people. The noise from the rooms facing the streets can be a bit much, but they have double glazing and it pretty much shuts down outside after midnight anyway.

For the quality and location of the hotel the price is very good. The basic price outside of festivals and trade fairs is 50 euros a night, but you can get it for less through the Hotel Reservation Service. I paid an average of 43 euros a night for the week I spent there. Breakfast is included in the price, as is free internet access via wireless LAN; a service few other hotels bother to offer and even less offer for free.

Unique Quality: Free Wireless Internet Access!

Directions: Exit the main station and take a right. Walk up Schillerstrasse and you will soon see a big sign for Hotel Royal on the right side of the road. It's about 1-200 meters from the station.

• Bob_Shan's Profile Photo

Perfect location, good price

This is a simple decorated hotel, but with complete facilities including a workstation with free internet access.

Good location: 5 minutes work to the main train station, where you can take metro, train or tram going anywhere.

Unique Quality: Good value for money

Directions: Munich HBF

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Royal Hotel ***

This is a fairly old motel which is run by a family. There are 40 fairly modern rooms which are equipped with t.v. (cable & satellite), private bathroom, telephone and soundproof windows. There is a breakfast room (b’fast was included in my rate). Cosy and friendly and very handy.

Directions: 2 mins walking from the Munich Main Train Station which is the main connection of all public transport. It is also within walking distance from the Oktoberfest and City Centre.

More about Royal Hotel

Very pleasant stay

We stayed 2 nights last weekend at the Royal and were very happy with both the accommodation (twin room at 74 EUR; small in size but sufficient with little luggage) and the service. Great area with plenty of restaurants, bars, shops etc... and close to the Central Station.
Looks as if we had the same room (63) like the people from an earlier comment and we took also the same picture of our view. Only the time of the year has changed.
We will return.

Ideal choice of hotel

by TripAdvisor Member NickBeckenham

We spent four nights at the Hotel Royal at the beginning of May. We choose this hotel from the previous reviews on Trip Advisor and were really impresssed with what we found. It is well located close to the main railway station (with bus, tram and underground train connections), easy walking distance to Mariensplatz and shopping areas. We requested a room facing the rear of the hotel (as the front faces onto a fairly 'sleazey' street). Our room was a good size, and was comfortable. The shower/toilet had recently been refurbished. The breakfast (continental) was very good.

Though the local area was a little 'rough' we were not affected nor disturbed by it. The hotel does not have a bar or restaurant but if you are looking for a reasonably priced comfortable, well-located hotel you can't go wrong with the Royal. We would definitely stay there again.

perfect for the price

by TripAdvisor Member sirtravel

The hotel is conveniently located less than 200 meters from the main train station (hauptbahnhof) and has everything you could want from a budget hotel and more. A computer with free interenet access in the lobby, free WLAN, a decent breakfast, small but comfortable hotel room and clean bathroom, all in all very nice. No restaurant but drinks are available at reception without your usual mark-up -- very reasonable place to stay. I am hypercritical and the only two faults I could find: 1. Schillerstrasse is a little sleazy -- didn't bother me and I felt it was very safe just some strip clubs and peep shows; and 2. the towels smelled slightly of mildew -- again I am hypercritical and have a very sensitive sense of smell.

PS I was on the street side of the hotel and did not find the street level noise a bother since the windows are double-paned. Might be a problem if you want to keep the windows open.

A wonderful hotel

I found the hotel Royal to be a wonderful place. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly. It was my first visit to Munich and had no idea how to get around but was given maps of the center and underground and was told in detail how to use public transport. The hotel itself was really close to Hauptbanhof (Central Station). Breakfast buffet was lovely and had so much choice. When I go back to Munich I will definately be staying at the Royal.

Comments