Bayerstrasse 12, Munich, Bavaria, 80335, Germany

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 20% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• A place to Avoid

The Sofitel Munich was touted as a great place to stay in Munich so I booked it in advance.  I wouldn't give it better than a D+.  The Spartan rooms were card controlled so your power gets turned off (or not turned on at all) if you don't have the card plugged into the wall.  It's an inconvenient system that works for the hotel but it is painful to use for the guest.  Cold hardwood floors, the room was small, the (handicap-like) shower was a joke and the bed was uncomfortable.  I ordered room service twice and the food was not edible either time, they are cooking with some disgusting oils.  If this is a French hotel they have lost all touch with what is palatable.  The Sofitel burger at 18 € (that's a $ 23.40 burger) sucked and it was 21 € for a steak sandwich which should have been wonderful not terrible.  Even the 25 € veal wiener schnitzel was so bad that it was thrown away after one bite by my family.

The bedding and towels at the Sofitel were full of hairs and the "free" Internet access required a repeated log-in over and over again . . torture to use it without paying the hotel for their "premium" access.

Sofitel Munich prices seemed like a good deal at 178 € per night if paid in advance but I had 3 rooms and had to leave early due to a real emergency.  They kept 2 nights X 3 rooms X 178€ = 1,068 € of mine and then asked me if I had a good stay.  Were they kidding me?  They rented out those rooms again the same day, ripped me off, and they could care less about my emergency.  The Sofitel has brought the definition of customer service to a new low, "screw the customer" is the Sofitel way.  I would avoid the hotel at all cost.

Unique Quality: Lobby looks good for taking pictures

• coccinella169's Profile Photo

Modern design and central

Dorint Sofitel Bayerpost is located next to Munich`s main train station. It is an about 5 minutes walk from famous Karlsplatz (Stachus). Although it is a business hotel I immediately liked it, it is an old building but inside you find great modern design. Rooms are a bit small, I couldn`t imagine to stay there with a person I do not know very well. From the bedroom goes a window to the bathroom (there is a jalousie :)), in the uprade rooms there is a bath tube and an extra shower and a toilet- everything is seperated by glass sliding doors. The cheaper rooms are equipped only with the shower.
    Staff is very attentive and friendly. There is a nice spa lounge with a small gym (one threadmill, several crosstrainers, some bikes...), a sauna (which was closed) and a very nice dark swimming pool (it feels like swimming in a cave) with jacuzzi and waterfall. From the swimming pool you can even observe the reception desk through a little window.
    The cheapest rates start from 120 EUR (room only)- which is not that much for the comfort of this hotel. Breakfast costs around 20 EUR and is really good.

Directions: next to the main train station

More about Sofitel Munich Bayerpost

Very cool hotel

Dorint Sofitel Bayerpost is located next to the Main railway station and 10 minutes walk to the major Munich attractions and shopping area.
Hotel staff has been extremely helpfull and courteous at all levels from porters to concierge.
The hotel itself has a special character and cool design and all all of you who might like contemporary hotels this is the place to stay in the Bavarian capital.
Room and bathroom were spacious and very clean, it has been designed with the most ultra perspective, the room floor is wooden and shower area all over is covered with rough travertine marble. Bathroom amenities included everything of an excellent quality plus bathrobes.
Bed and pillows were very soft and we had a good night's sleep.
I look forward to return to this hotel next time in Munich.

Comfortable Stay, Stylish Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member PrincessRenée

I stayed at this hotel twice in august '06. My first stay was excellent but my second stay was not so pleasant. Overall though I would say it is a great hotel. The Dorint Sofitel Bayerpost Munchen is an upscale hotel, very stylish and modern (as is the rest of Munich). The hotel lobby is pretty dark though. The rooms are very nicely decorated and have some interesting art hanging on the walls. The beds are very comfortable, I slept so well every night. The bathrooms were elegant and spotless, and included excellent toiletries. A minor drawback to the bathrooms were the sliding doors, not much privacy. Other than that the food was very tasty, and the turndown service was great. The spa was wonderful, they cater to all your needs, I requsted a foot massage which wasn't on their list of services but they were able to provide it for me. Of course, the BEST thing about the Dorint Sofitel Bayerpost is its outstanding location. Its right next to the main trainstation, the Hauptbahnhof, so it made getting anywhere around Munich and around Germany literally a breeze. Finally the hotel staff and service was exceptional. My only problem was when checking out the during my second stay. The receptionist wanted to charge us for a lost key card. I've travelled extensively and stayed at numerous hotels, and never was I asked to return key cards much less be charged for one that was misplaced. In any case, I'd hate to mar my otherwise wonderful experience, or anyone else's planning to stay at this hotel, so just hold on to your keys. It's a great hotel. One more tip: the housekeeping staff, although are wonderful, have an annoying habit of opening the doors as they frst start knocking. We were caught off guard too many times by staff members opening the door on us so suddenly. So for privacy you might want to latch or lock your doors. Hope you have fun, Munich's a delight!

Wonderful property, excellent service!

by TripAdvisor Member GPAC

After spending the night in a tiny sleeping bunk on an overnight train from Paris to Munich, walking into the Sofitel Bayerpost was like walking into Shangri-La! The modern decor, the top-notch service and the delicious breakfast buffet were the welcome we needed after an uncomfortable night on the train.

I booked our two double rooms directly through the Sofitel website and managed to get a great rate of 165 euros per night including breakfast (quite a deal for a deluxe hotel with a complete breakfast included)!

Every member of the staff we encountered was pleasant, helpful and courteous (from the front desk to the bellboys). We had dinner at one of the restaurants and it was divine. The service was impeccable, and the food was spectacular. The chef even treated us to complimentary appetizers to sample local Bavarian cuisine.

One thing, the hotel seemed to be very geared towards business travelers (there were a couple of large meetings going on while we were there), but they went out of their way to make my family (especially our two year-old daughter) feel welcome. Another plus, you can surf the web at the business center for free!

Overall, a wonderful hotel with outstanding service. I was sorry we were there for such a short amount of time. We'll definitely return!

Not what we expected

by TripAdvisor Member skryan

After looking at the many hotels in Munich, my husband and I decided on the Sofitel. Having stayed in Sofitels in the past I was pretty confident it would be a good choice. I wish we had chosen another hotel.

When we booked ,the only type of room available was a junior suite. I even called Accor hotels, and that was the best they could do, so I booked it. A week before we left for our trip, I checked the web site and there were delux rooms available (not just suites). We stayed with the suite, with high expectations. I should have paid more attention to the candid photos. Don't let the exterior fool you. This is a very modern, contemporary business hotel.

Our suite was a 2 level room with floor to ceiling windows overlooking the train station - on the top floor. It was the most dysfunctional room I have ever stayed in. The bed and main bath (with shower only) were upstairs and the living area with toilet and sink bath downstairs. The "closet" upstairs could not accomadate all of our luggage. So we were constantly going up and down the stairs to retrieve whatever item we needed, because one suitcase was upstairs and one was downstairs. The bed however was wonderful and it was interesting to be able to look out the huge window from the bed. I was very disappointed with the bathroom, not just because there was not a bathtub, which I expected, but there wasn't a towel hook anywhere. So, our towels ended up on the stair banister.

This is not what I would call a tourist/family hotel, much more a business hotel. Every day there was a different conference going on. And it seemed the conference room was a make shift room right next to the elevators. There was no way to avoid them. Our last night was like a construction site with all the work being done for the meeting the next day. I know others like this hotel, but I would not stay here again.

Don't get me wrong, this is a nice hotel. If you are a single person there on business, it's perfect and you would probably love the suite we had. We liked being next to the train station, if you need anything - it's there! We rented our car from there at Sixt and returned it at the airport without a problem Plus if you like very modern (inside) architecture, this is for you.

satisfying stay

by TripAdvisor Member Oli-on-trip

Stayed there for one night in Dezember. Booked directly by the hotel and received a great rate of 180€ per night for an duplex junior suite on the 8th. floor.

The hotel is central located next to the main train station. From this area it's simple to reach anything in Munich by public transportation or on foot. But this area is not the most beautiful of Munich.

The hotel staff ist very friendly and attentive. The restaurants serve great food and the bar ist also good. The welleness area offers nearly all but for me it is too dark, especially the pool.
Our room was on the top 8th. floor and was arround 40qm large. On the first floor was a lavatory and a room with desk, tv, sitting area and a stair to the bedroom. On the second floor (9th.fllor) was the bedroom and a small bath and also a small walking in closed. The bed was great and also were the Hermes bath products. But the best of this room type were the about 3 meter high windows with a few over the city.

If only all city hotels were like this

by TripAdvisor Member melita1

This hotel is an oasis of peace and quiet in a noisy city. Situated close to the main station and all Munich sightseeing points this hotel offers clean spacious rooms, a fantastic breakfast and friendly service for a reasonable price.
We will certainly return.

Unique Duplex Junior Suite

by TripAdvisor Member JChua

Whenever I am in Europe, I always try to look out for 4 or 5 star Hotels with and old world charm. But since Germany is so well known for their advances in technology, I thought I would go for something 'high-tech' for a change.

After a stay at the luxurious Hotel Sacher in Salzburg, we took a one and a half hour train ride to Munich. Upon arrival, turn towards the right and walk across the carpark, and voila, you will see the ancient looking facade of this modern Hotel.

3-4 weeks before departure, we have got a special weekend rate of 180 euros for a duplex Junior Suite, from the Hotel's very own website. What a bargain, I thought to myself! Well, we weren't disappointed, the duplex concept was quite functional, albeit a little cumbersome to climb the stairs back and forth to retrieve things. However, after a while, we got rather used to it.

Breakfasts wasn't included in the already-good price, so we bought our cakes and pastries the day before. It also helps when there is actually tea/coffee making facilities in the suite. In addition, there are also Hermes bath toiletries, what nice touches!

The proximity of this Hotel to the Hautbanhof (Central train station) probably helped me to decide to stay here, after all, I do have confidence in the French's Sofitel Group. The closeness to the Central train station is also important while leaving for the Munich airport via the Lufthansa airport bus, as well as, for Grey Line's one day, Neuschwanstein Castle tour.

Taxis are quite costly in Germany. A short cab ride from the Hotel to the Residenz, costs a whopping 12 euros. But after the visit to the Residenz, we walked everywhere since the Old Town area of Munich is rather compact by nature.

Cheers to the Sofitel Group!

Great hotel with a few minor issues

by TripAdvisor Member marcusck

Stayed in this hotel over New Years 2006/07. We are a young family of 2 adults in early 30's with a 2 year old son and 8 month old daughter.

Overall a great, modern 5 star hotel with excellent service and amenities.

Service: Overall excellent. We had requested a cot in our room for our baby but none was there when we arrived. However a phone call to room service had the head of room service in our room in minutes asking how they could help. Cot was delivered as a priority. We also asked for a room with a bath so we could bathe the children. The head of housekeeping changed our rooms to accomodate. This was done quickly and efficiently, and the staff could not have been more helpful.

After a 2 1/2 hour drive from Neuschwanstein Castle, it was a pleasure to be greeted by a concierge who took the car and unloaded all our bags to our room very politely. Room service was also excellent and well priced.

The only complaint from the staff, and the hotel in general was the front desk. There was almost always a long wait to be served due to too many people being served by too few staff on the front desk. Check out time took at least 1 hour by the time we had lined up and had the car brought round. Not what we would expect from a 5 star hotel.

Rooms: Modern decor, always immaculately cleaned. Our baby messed on our bed and the hotel staff immediately changed it, and in a very friendly manner. Beds were comfortable and nice touches like the 'rain shower' and quality soaps/shampoos. Our room had a view of the rear car park / dumpsters from 4th floor but overall rooms were much better than some 5 star hotels we have stayed in and actually 'felt 5 star'.

Amenities: The pool was AMAZING. More like an underground oasis with spa spots, waterfalls, swimming alleys etc. Again, service in the pool area was fantastic and we and our children swam in the pool every one of our 3 days stay. The bar was also very good, with some great cocktails and reasonably priced. Hotel wide WLAN is also welcome for business travelers, as is the location right next to the main train station.

Ambience: Excellent. We saw many other young families like ourselves, which is always welcoming, although this should not detract from travelers without children, as the hotel was very 'discrete' and quiet. The only niggle here is the lift, which worked by an electronic card, and if for example, you were staying on level 4 and wanting to go up but someone from level 8 (probably more expensive lodgings) wanted to come down, you would shoot straight past your floor, go to level 8, let that person in before going down to your own level. A bit of snobbery that was not welcome.

Niggles:

Paying 12 Euro a night for parking
Paying 21 Euro each for breakfast (which we skipped - there is an excellent restaurant across the road doing a buffet for 12 Euro). At these sort of prices, breakfast should be included.

Overall though a very funky hotel with great atmosphere and facilities with excellent staff service.

Munich's Modern Masterpiece

by TripAdvisor Member lamerazure

This was my first visit to Munich without staying with German friends. I noticed in the description that it was located in close proximity to the Hauptbahnhof (main train station). When I walked out of the station, I literally "fell" into the hotel. It is unbelieveably central to all of the sights in Munich. Additionally, you may take the S-Bahn directly to the airport in less than 40 minutes (the conditions of this train are far superior to that of other suburban trains such as the RER in Paris).

The staff were pleasant and the room was fantastic. The hotel decor is modern (yin and yang inspired), with lights changing color intermittently. I often had the feeling of being in a night club. Internet usage is free, but you must do a bit of searching to find the business center. The bar was great and servers were extremely attentive.

The only downside is the bathroom- it falls in line with the modern decor... and there is merely a frosted glass wall dividing the toilet and the shower. Fortunately a sliding door to the bathroom obstructs the view.

I am puzzled as to why this site indicates the hotel as only having three stars; on the exterior of the building it specifies being a FIVE star property (much more appropriate). If you are planning a trip to Munich- stay at the Sofitel! :)

Comments