Stollbergstrasse 2-4, Munich, Bavaria, 80539, Germany

1958 Munich Air Crash Memorial - New1958 Munich Air Crash Memorial - New

Dachau Concentration CampDachau Concentration Camp

6 adults & Oktoberfest

by dculpepper

I saw the post regarding beer tents for 2 adults but I was wondering about suggestions for 6 adults. We will arrive in Munich about midday Sunday the 19th and be there all day Monday. I was thinking of trying our luck during the day at different tents but making reservations at one of the beer tents in the evening. During somewhere in the 2 & a half days I was wanting to tour the city also but we have an out of town tour booked for Tuesday so I'm limited to 1 1/2 days for Oktoberfest & city. Suggestions please. Thanks!!

by bonio

Reservations are usually only accepted for groups of 10+ and you've left it very late for this year I think. Sunday will be very busy but Monday will be quieter and there should be plenty of spaces if you go early.
Enjoy.

by dculpepper

Thanks. How early would we need to go on Monday?

by bonio

Should be ok troughout the morning and afternoon, likely to be busy in the evening from my experience.
Make a day of it!!

by dculpepper

Thank you so for your help. When we arrive in Munich on Sunday it may be during the Costume Parade. If so, should we try to take our rolling luggage and see the parade? I was thinking of a couple different options: 1. a taxi could take us to a good spot and then we could go to our hotel; 2. take Ubhan to a close station for the parade then take the Ubhan to hotel. Do you have any suggestions? I don't think we would have time to go to our hotel first and then go to see the parade but I hate the idea of being in the middle of thousands of people with luggage. Maybe the answer is to store our luggage at the train station and go see the parade then pick up luggage and head to hotel. Thanks!!

by bonio

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the costume parade. Lockers are available at the main railway station (hauptbahnhof) only but, they are cheap and plentiful

by dculpepper

Thanks for the info on the cheap lockers!! Always like cheap.
If we went to Oktoberfest on Monday about 11:00am, would we be able to walk around and into both the large & small tents? I think I would like to walk around and look at everything rather than sit in one place & drink. So about so many quetions...keep thinking!!

by bonio

I'm sure you will be able to choose any tent at that time on a monday. My favourite is "Augustiner" or "HB" try some of the amazing rides before you drink to much though!

Thank you so much! This is great info. I love rides!! Dana

by charlietuna22

If you are interested, I have 6 extra seats for a reservation for Monday the 20th in the Hacker Festzelt. It is for the 12:00 to 5:00 afternoon time slot. I am only trying to get out of them what I have in them which is $40.00 per person. That includes 2 liters of beer and 1/2 chicken per person. You can email me or post a reply here if you are interested. Thanks, Chuck

by dculpepper

Sorry I'm late in answering. Thank you for the offer but, as things stand now, I don't think we are interested. Thanks again & hope they are sold. Are you still going? Dana

by jetstreamsurfer

Hi! Wondering if you are still trying to get rid of a few of those tickets for 9/20/10. I will be in Munich during that timeframe and may be interested.

Jet

by charlietuna22

Thanks for the response Dana. And Yes we are definately still going. I had such a great time on my last 2 visits. Sold 2 seats so far for Monday.

by charlietuna22

Hello Jet, Have 4 seats left for Monday.
Thanks for the Inquery

Chuck

by jetstreamsurfer

Chuck: I sent you an email :)

Travel Tips for Munich

Michaelskirche

by Sarita76

Michaelskirche is the only REAL Renaissance church in Germany. It was built between 1583 and 1597 by the Jesuits. The church has a single nave and the stucco interior is really vast. I simply love coloured windows in churches. Michaelskirche is full of coloured windows made of stained glass and, although the picture is not well-focused, I had to put it here... Check out my Siena rose-window too...

Where are the Dorms?

by pedersdottir

A few stops north of Schwabing, students have their own space. The Studentenstadt (or student city) Freimann was begun in 1961.

Built by the STUDENTENWERK with funds supplied by the Max Kade Foundation (Pertussin cough syrup money) the complex was completed in the mid 1970's. It consists of a mix of high-rise and low-rise dorm buildings, as well as larger quarters for married students and families. There are cafeterias and sports facilities as well, including a nearby swimming pool.

The grounds are turned into an outdoor performance venue, when the StuStaCulum Music Festival takes place in mid June. Take the U6 to Studentenstadt stop. Cross the street from the station and head north.

Prost!

by klasher

I did much beer drinking with locals during my stay. One valuable lesson I learned is that during one of the many 'Prosts', it is important to make eye contact with each person you clink beersteins with. It is considered rude to not make eye contact.

Shops.
Munich is a shopper’s...

by kenbac

Shops.
Munich is a shopper’s paradise.
You have all the big Department Stores – Karlstadt, Kaufhaus (3 branches), Multistore (used to be called Kaufhalle), Woolworths. (2 branches) & Hertie and these are all between the Haupbahnhof and the Altes Rathaus. There is of course an amazing array of smaller shops of every description.

Dachau

by husain

Dachau is one of Munich's suburbs, and now infamous for being home to the first concentration camp from Hitler's Germany. It also served as a prototype and model for the others that followed...

Among the eerie reminders of the horrors- gas chambers (which for some reason were never used in Dacau) and the wrought iron gate to the main camp, which bears the words `Arbeit Macht Frei' or `Work will set you free'. The nazi's had this motto/ slogan put up at many of their concentration camps.
Of course, nobody was ever released for hard work or cooperation...
The original barracks were later pulled down, though one was rebuilt and is used as a display of the camps history. The remaining barracks are now just marked by small concrete foundations with numbers on each of them.

Almost 30,000 prisoners were killed here, and many others lost their lives due to other causes while at the camp. The exact numbers are hard to determine.

The best way to get there is to take the S-Bahn (S2) to Dachau station, and then follow the signs. Busses run regularly (724/ 726) between the station and the campsite.
Its a 10 min walk from there on to the main entrance.

The Memorial Site is open on all days except for Mondays, between 9 am and 5 pm.
Entry is free.