Villa Waldperlach

Villa Waldperlach
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Munich

In detailIn detail

Without words, Clever understands.Without words, Clever understands.

Tea optionsTea options

Fairytale view on the crest of hillFairytale view on the crest of hill

The Derag Max Emanual or Karl Theodor?

by meliaz

Hi guys, I'm going over to Munich for a couple of months for training and am not sure which hotel I should book - the Max Emanual or Karl Theodor? Understand the Max Emanual would be at a better location but based on reviews the condition of the rooms are not so good.
Would appreciate some advice here. Thanks!

Re: The Derag Max Emanual or Karl Theodor?

by Kakapo2

The Karl Theodor is at a very good location as well, in a good suburb, and rather close to the city. There are several U-Bahn stations and other transportation in the vicinity, plus Nymphenburg castle, Dantebad for a swim, the Olympic Park only a stonethrow away, a lot of restaurants. I quite like the area. In Klugstraße there is even one of my favourite restaurants in Munich.

I think "better location" depends on where you have to do your training, and how and how fast you can commute to this place from either of those hotels.

Travel Tips for Munich

Munich Tip

by Lochlainn

On the Sunday I decided to do the typical tourist thing and go to the Marianplatz I also decided to do the untypical German thing and walk the few miles into town from where I was staying with friends! At first I set off with the intention of being a good citizen and waiting for the 'green man' at every pedestrian lights, despite the fact there wasn't a sinner out driving at all. Then a quick calculation of average time stopped at 'red men' multiplied by the number of crossings indicated on my map told me that my little walk downtown was likely to take about 17 hours or so! I decided therefore I'd be bold and actually venture across the road if I couldn't see a car or a cop in the vicinity - and lo and behold, I noticed that as soon as I made the bold step forward, others would follow me at every corner! I had visions of us all being stopped by the police at some junction and immediately everyone pointing at me exclaiming - 'It was him officer! We were only following!!' I have to admit after an hour or so my nerve gave in and I jumped on a tram :o)

Excursion to Oberammergau

by globetrott

Oberammergau is a small town 20 Km north of Garmisch Partenkirchen.
In Oberammergau you will see plenty of houses with paintings on the outside-walls.
They are called " Lueflmalerei " and date back to the the 18th century, when rich farmers tried to show their prosperity by these decorations.

For more pics and infos - please have a look on my Oberammergau-page !

20 Km north of Gamisch Partenkirchen and maybe 80 Km south of Munich

Signs around Munich

by flyingscot4

As with many Bavarian cities and towns, signs for local businesses are a photographer's heaven. Munich is no exception. I am only using five pictures here, but I have quite a collection. Basically, the signs depict what service the shopkeeper provides, which was necessary in the period before literacy. Now, the various signs are more decoration than anything else, but the visitor can somewhat visualize a time long past.

Parenthetically, Rothenburg ob der Tauber requires all shops to display these beautiful signs, and that includes McDonalds.

Photo 1 Although this is not a business sign, I include it because I find these things fascinating. It is a braille "map" of the old city of Munich for the blind.

Photo 2 Das Münchener Kindl (the Munich Monk). This is Munich's coat of arms and the symbol of the city. It dates back to the twelfth century. The story behind it is fairly involved and I suggest a "google" search to read the story.

Photo 3 This is a restaurant with a sign depicting the Munich Child.

Photo 4 This sign is for the "Altes Hackerbrauhaus"

Photo 5 The Hundskugel is Munich's oldest tavern dating from 1440

Packing List

by Kingus

Also here the only problem was the weather.
Pay attention!!
One day there is cold one hot. If you go in Munich you cannot forget to take a camera.
Especially if you go to see the Oktoberfest.
I'm sure that you will take a lot of photos!

Social Bavarians abound

by nebbard

Augustiner Bierkeller just north of the Hackerbrucke station has a huge garden open in summer where people come out from the apartments around to sit and drink and eat. Under the chestnut trees there are many tables, several food outlets, a playground. Bear in mind there are 2 areas - one self serve and one table serve.

Comments