Gaestehaus Richter

More about Oberammergau

WoodcarvingWoodcarving

Luftlmalerei HousesLuftlmalerei Houses

Schloss LinderhofSchloss Linderhof

Wieskirche - 30 Km north/west of OberammergauWieskirche - 30 Km north/west of Oberammergau

Oberammergau environs--after the Passion Play sightseeing

by petitrenard

Hi VT friends!--Six of us will be in Oberammergau for the Passion Play. We check out on June 2, 2010 and we plan to see the following nearby sights: Schloss Neuschwanstein, Schloss Hohenschwangau, and Schloss Linderhof/Attal. Most of the guided tours usually start from Munich, but since we are already in Oberammergau, what are our options? Accomodations in Oberammergau are difficult because of the on going play, so I was thinking of using Schwangau or any other town as a new base where we can stay for two nights to visit all the sights. Any suggestions? How do we get there from Oberammergau without renting a car? Or is it really better to rent one. Possibly two cars? Our next target destination is Salzburg, Austria. I don’t want to drive, so we plan to use the train (or fly?)-what would be the best car rental drop off point and train pick up point? Thanks for all your comments and replies.

by Maryimelda

Fuessen is the town near to all the castles with god regular transport to all of them and oher places besides. It's a wonderful little town which is well worth exploring in between castle visiting. See my Fuessen page for more details.

by margsch

Garmisch-Partenkirchen is also lovely and local buses only take about 20 mins between Obera. and Garm. The train station in Garmisch would have trains to Salzburg and there are tours from Garmisch to the Castles. Look for advertising bus tours saying "Königsschlösser". There is a lot of holiday accommodation in and around Garmisch, book something soon, your trip is not far away.

by swandav

Hi petitrenard,

Yes, I think Garmisch-Partenkirchen would be the best option for you. The town is loaded with hotels, pensions, guesthouses, and holiday apartment, so you should find a great place without too much trouble. The central booking site is at

www.gapa.de

There are direct busses to Füssen and to Oberammergau, and you can get to Linderhof and Ettal by bus with a change in Oberammergau.

The quickest way to Salzburg would be to head back to München and then connect for a train to Salzburg from there. You can research all the trains and bus connections at the German rail site

www.bahn.de

Have fun!

s

by petitrenard

Thanks for the recommendations.
I went to www.gapa.de and sent some emails. (info@schnitzer-annemarie.de and info@bader-marika.de) But I am not getting any response.
We plan to stay for two nights, June 2-4. Six adults.
Any recommendations for a apartment or any combination of rooms?
Thanks again for all your help.

by margsch

The website tripadvisor will suit your purpose, google it and on the opening page there is a search option including dates required, and only hotels with vacancies will appear. I had a look for June 2 in and 4th out and 18 Hotels appeared. Hotel Bavaria still has vacancies and I like staying there. it is central,easy walk to the station and shops, has very good breakfast and half board can be had if you would prefer that. I,ve never gone for that simply because I have my main meal at lunch time wherever I happen to be. The railway station has a Pub built onto it which serves excellent meals, often if I had been exploring all day I then dropped in there for a light dinner.

by petitrenard

Thanks. I am looking into that and other hotel booking sites. But the local website is good in that you could book an entire guest house, which is better than splitting all 6 of us into several rooms--but so far, I have not received any replies. I'll keep looking and hoping!

Travel Tips for Oberammergau

Take some time to hike

by Sharrie

Aren't these the most beautiful paintings you've ever seen on walls of cottages? If you look closely on the reflection in the windows you'll discover the mountains surrounding Oberammergau & if you've the time you can wander off to the mountaintops by the Laber cable railway or the Kolben chairlift!

Scene of the famous Passion Play

by colin_bramso

"...but there's much more."

On our drive through parts of Europe we took a detour to visit the pretty village of Oberammergau, which is the location of the world-famous Passion Play.

When bubonic plague, the Black Death, was decimating the population of Europe the villagers here made a vow that if God spared them they would perform a passion play every ten years. They were largely spared and so from 1634 they have performed the play. It's now performed over a period of five months in years ending with a zero, involves over 2000 performers & technicians who are all residents of the village.

Because of the long time between performances the chances to see it are limited, but the village is very pretty, in a beautiful location and there's plenty to see in the village at other times.

I've put a few more photographs and some impressions in a Travelogue - just scroll down to find it and click on the link.

Comments