Oberammergau Hotels

Our Members Say

• Trekki profile photo Trekki
  • Reviews: 2343

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Schauberger family: Excellent views, nice holiday apartment

During the second part of my two weeks in Oberammergau I stayed in the holiday apartment of Schauberger family. This was a suggestion of Mrs. Unruh, where I stayed in the first part of my trip.

Despite the rather out of the way location of the apartment (approx. 20-25 min walking to the town centre) I loved my stay. Above all because of the charming apartment interior, but also for the possibility to do laundry, the availability of kitchen and fridge and for the magnificent view. The living/dining room is equipped with TV, DVD player and radio, a large selection of DVDs is available, some of these with English versions. The couch, by the way, is a studio couch (can be transformed into a bed). I spent several evenings here, cooked my meals, watched TV, logged into VT or browsed through the various many brochures, books and other information material about the town and the region. The bedroom has a double bed with comfortable firm mattress and a large wardrobe, where also more blankets can be found in case the temperatures drop. But then, the room heating is excellent. The kitchen is rather small, only one person could be there at a time, but has everything one needs: 4 plate stove and oven, dishwasher, electric kettle and a coffee machine, brand Tchibo Cafissimo. This works with capsules, which I bought at Tengelmann. 10 capsules cost approx. 3 Euro, and they come in various sorts (espresso, coffee with crema and “filter coffee” types). A special service provided by Schauberger family is the fresh bread rolls they have delivered from an excellent bakery nearby, based upon the orders of their guests (prices for the bread rolls are between 0,30 - 0,70 Euro, plus 1 Euro delivery per day).

WLAN is available and even a computer for their guests. This is in the storage room otherwise with fridge, microwave and several other household things (iron and ironing board, laundry dryer).
And a garage parking is available for the guests.

Directly outside of the apartment, which is located in the ground level, is a terrace with table and chairs. It is conveniently located below the terrace of Schauberger’s family apartment; ideal because I could sit outside also when it rained.

This holiday apartment is also connected to the Königscard system and I made more use of my card, especially the ropeway to nearby Laber Mountain, museums again and visits to the fabulous public bath called “Wellenberg”.

For my 8 nights I paid 320 Euro (40 Euro per day), which was lower than the price for 2 persons (65 Euro for a stay from 3 nights on and 58 Euro for a stay more than 7 days). Plus 1,30 Euro per day visitor tax.

Location of holiday apartment Schauberger on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., January 2014 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.).

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written January 4, 2014

• Trekki profile photo Trekki
  • Reviews: 2343

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Gästehaus Christel Unruh: Charming B&B, delicious organic breakfast

During my first of two weeks in Oberammergau (October 2013) I stayed in the charming B&B (“Pension”) of Unruh family. This was a suggestion by Oberammergau’s tourist office when I asked for something charming with internet access and a reasonable price.
What can I say? I enjoyed my stay thoroughly, especially because of the lovable host, Christel Unruh. She is a very active woman, very ecologically oriented (the whole family is), proud of her heritage and hometown. Hence she is a marvellous source for specific day trip suggestions, based on the guests’ interest. I liked each of her suggestions and could hear during breakfasts that the other guests were also very satisfied with what she picked for them.

I was happy to see that they have single rooms, simply because I don’t want to “block” double rooms. My room in the first floor (second floor for Americans) was small but had enough space for me: a large closet, a section for luggage next to the door, a single bed, chair and desk, TV, bathroom with shower, sink, hairdryer and toilet and a balcony. I loved this one in particular because I could see the two mountains dominating Oberammergau: Kofel and Laber. Many evenings I just sat outside and admired the atmosphere and the star filled sky.

Mrs. Unruh makes her own jam and jelly and other products for breakfast. Otherwise she makes sure that the guests have organis produces for breakfast, such as yoghurt from nearby cheese dairy in Ettal, fresh and delicious bread, eggs from neighbours’ hens and freshly squeezed orange juice. Very delicious breakfast!!
Internet is available, although not via WLAN (as of October 2013). Mrs. Unruh explained that it would cost too much for them to provide a separate network for guests, hence the room prices would have to increase in case they apply WLAN. Since I don’t have a mobile device other than my old notebook, I didn’t mind that I had to ask for a cable anytime I felt the need to check mails and VT.

I could stay here only for one week because it was Bavarian holiday time and I had booked late. But Mrs. Unruh was also a huge help with suggestions for my next accommodation, the holiday apartment of family Schauberger.
For my 6 nights I paid 216 Euro. Plus 1,30 Euro per day visitor tax. Note that Unruh family does not have a debit card machine, so they can only accept cash. However, there are enough ATM machines in town to draw money.

Pension Unruh is connected to the Königscard system. With my 6 days stay I made a lot use of this card and took the cable lifts to Kolbensattel, went into the museums, took a tour of the Passion Play House and a walking tour offered by the tourist office. The latter was even better because the son (Martin Unruh) of Unruh family guided it, and he is certified herb specialist.

After my stay I realised that I didn’t take any photos of my room and the interior of the house, so please have a look at the German website of Unruh family:
house and public rooms
photos of the individual guest rooms.

Location of Pension Unruh on Google Maps.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written January 3, 2014

• Sharrie profile photo Sharrie
  • Reviews: 6309
Hotel Atte Boft: Hotel

I was on a day excursion from Munich. So, didn't stay in this city. But I did take a photo of this hotel in the city center. Charming, isn't it?

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written September 25, 2002
Tip Photo

• cynthi profile photo cynthi
  • Reviews: 123

Pension Schnitzlerstube: I wouldn't stay anywhere else...

The Pension was nice, clean, had a beautiful view of the mountians, and our room, which had two beds and a full bathroom, cost a total of 50 Euro per night. At the time we stayed, my sister and I were the only North American guests around. There were a range of other visitors... a family with two young boys from Italy, two older French ladies, and a couple of other guests from Germany and Austria.

What made the Pension Schnitzlerstube so outstanding were the owners, Toby and Gerti. They were about my sister's age, with two children, a funny dog named Hexe (witch in German), were very nice and enthustiastic, and they did everything that they could to make us comfortable. Toby went out of his way to give me and Beth a ride to the train station when it was time for us to leave. Toby also gave us wonderful suggestions as to where to go, and Gerti watched out for us, telling Georg to behave and bring us back from the wine festival (apperently several times because Gerog started calling her our mother). I could go on and on about my stay with them. Really, WHEN I go back to Oberammergau, I wouldn't stay anywhere other than Pension Schnitzlerstube.

• Opinion of Price: N/A