Hotel Burg Wernberg

HaidplatzHaidplatz

Regensburger DomRegensburger Dom

Question about Rain in May

by wompbomp

We plan on visiting for a few days in late May. I have checked various weather websites, and know to expect rain. But what is typical, if there is such a thing? Is it likely to rain all day, or are there periods of rain and then clearing? Is the rain generally heavy, or relatively light? Frequent thunderstorms? Thanks for trying to answer what may be an impossible question!
Carol

by leics

Well.,yes, it's impossible for anywhere in Europe really.

Rain can mean light showers, or heavy showers, or a day's drizzle, or a day's heavy rain (as it was when I visited Regensburg in August) or a thunderstorm....or a combination of any of these. Monsoon-like heavy rain is pretty unusual in Europe though.

You can get a a rough idea of rainy days in May from these sites:

I work on the principle that I will neither shrink nor rust. With appropriate rainwear, and an umbrella, rain has never stopped me seeing or doing andything I want to see or do. Being from the UK, I just take the weather as it comes.

So pack appropriately, take an umbrella, and you'll be fine. I certainly wouldn't let the chance of rain put me of a visit to this lovely town. :-)

by schoobi

end of may is good time to visit, its begin of summer !

by chris.hh

Everything possible's - but I agree to the answer above. Chances to have great days in May are good. It is great when flowers start to bloom and trees are in fresh green. So rain might happen, and also it can be cool. Also you can have great early summer days. Still - take clothes that are ready for everything;-)
Where are you from?
Have a great stay in Germany,
Chris.

by naretha

My memories of Regensbrug are quite different. I worked there as an au pair a few years back and remember, being from South Africa and not being as informed as I am now, that I expected to walk right into a snowstorm. Arriving at the airport (also in May), dressed in my "winter" clothes - including padded jacket and boots, I stood out like a sore thumb. I was very disappointed - it wasn't cold, instead it was hot and I didn't even think of packing t'shirts and shorts. To make a long story short - apart of never getting my winter wonderland, I remember Regensbrug being pleasantly warm during May with the odd rain shower.

by Kathrin_E

May can bring snow and summer heat and any type of rain. Impossible to predict. Each year is different, so one year's experience is of no use as prediction for the next. Prepare for a mix of everything.

by wompbomp

Thanks for some very helpful answers. We will be coming from central Texas, but will spend a couple of weeks in the Netherlands (with lots more rain, no doubt) before traveling to Regensburg and onwards. We will just prepare for a little of everything! Looking forward to our visit.
Carol

Travel Tips for Regensburg

a good thing about Bavaria

by richiecdisc

Regensburg has a great vareity of architecture and fantastic cobblestone streets to wander about but for me, I enjoy the truly authentic Bavarian people that frequent the timeless beer halls. They are a friendly lot and of course, the beer ain't half bad either. Rain and Regensburg were once synonymous for me. My first visit was marred by not only dreadfully wet weather but also an unwilling travel partner who had grown weary of my infatuation with attempting to try every native beer in forebodingly equipped Germany. After an obligatory tour of the castle, which was surprisingly good, I found myself sloshing around solo in search of a beer nirvana that never came. It was a mercifully short afternoon that I was happy to escape from.

Needless to say any mention of returning to the city of rain drew little in the way of serious consideration from me. I had fallen in love with a fine German girl who extolled the great virtues of the Bavarian city but I could never muster any real desire to make the trek back until we moved to Munich, a mere two hours away by train. Though seeing the city under sunny blue skies was enticing, it would be a lie to say I wasn’t returning in part to quench my thirst of beers I had missed previously. We were ravenous from the dawn train trip but one good thing about Bavaria is you can always find something savory to eat and a beer to wash it down with no matter the hour. We stopped in an ancient looking eatery and ordered a plate of Regensburger (a local sausage) with a Thurn & Taxis Pils to tide us over until lunch. (continued below in FONDEST MEMORY)

Regensburger

by richiecdisc

Regensburger are much smaller than average German sausages and resemble an American breakfast sausage. They have a bit of a similar flavor profile with lots of marjoram for good measure. Though Germans tend to be quite defensive about their region's superiorty when it comes to sausages (and beer), most do love these little tasty morsels.

Beer garden

by bonio about Kneitinger Keller

A couple of hours wait between trains so, a good time for a visit to a beer garden for lunch.
The Kneitinger Keller is just a few minutes walk from the station. We found the usual outdoor seating under mature Horse Chestnut trees, perfect.
Busy on a Tuesday lunchtime but still enough room.
Tasty, quite bitter, beer on offer and an intersting menu to choose lunch from. Mrs B very happy with her chilli popper salad and my schnitzel well up to standard.
Enjoyed our short visit here.

Roman Regensburg

by Lochlainn

To me the most fascinating part of the town's history - the wealth of Roman remains is staggering. Close observation of many of the buildings, especially round the point where the Steinerner Brucke joins the southern bank of the river, reveals Roman brickwork incorporated into later housing development, and even later constructions still reveal their true origins when one descends into the cellars. Some buildings, such as the Portia Praetoria, remain almost intact. A Roman mosaic, typical of the expensive and elaborate villa style, has recently been excavated from under the cathedral of St Peter itself. In Regensburg one senses that this history is well respected, and not just for the tourists' benefit. For those who wish to learn more the main museum on Dachauplatz has some fascinating Roman exhibits - for those who just want to sense the ambience the locals have obliged with some interesting artwork (ok - it may be David and Goliath but don't they look cute dressed as Romans?).

Steineren Bruecke

by dentremo

Although the Charles bridge in Prague in more famous, they got the idea for that one here in Regensburg. In one of the most impressive feats of medievel engineering, the Steineren Bruecke (Stone Bridge) was built between 1135-46 At the time it was only the third bridge to span the 3000 KM long Danube. There were once large towers on either end of the bridge that are long since gone. When you are there take a look at the southern end of the bridge. If the stones look more modern there, it is because they are. The Nazi's blew up this section of the bridge in April of 1945 as General Patton and the Americans approached.

Today, the Steineren Bruecke is still serving the purpose for which it was built. As of ten years or so, automobiles are no longer allowed on the bridge, but busses and Taxis still can still cross it. Otherwise, you will only see pedestrians and bikers on the bridge as they cross from the old city to the island that is formed by the Danube and the modern ship canal.

Comments