Rothenburg ob der Tauber Hotels

Our Members Say

• Maryimelda profile photo Maryimelda
  • Reviews: 973

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Gasthof Breiterle: What a bargain?

I was a bit dubious to say the least about this hotel when I booked it because it seemed way to good to be true for the price. but I went along with the reviews which were all good and took the chance. I'm really glad that I did. I had a spacious double (for single use) with a full sized bathroom for 40 euro per night (breakfast included) in September 2009.

I guess it was cheap because there was no lift and no televison, but I figured I rarely watched TV because of the language problems and as long as I could get some kind staff member to carry my bag up and down, the exercise of walking up and down the stairs wasn't going to kill me.

The hotel which is housed in what was once a brewery, is well located just inside the Roeder Gate and about 200 metres from the Market Place. There are shops and restaurants all along the way to the Market Place as well, so everything was at my fingertips. The breakfast buffet was first rate and the staff extremely friendly and courteous. I would definitely return.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Seniors, Women's Travel
  • Written December 14, 2009

Gasthof Breiterle.....

• chodearm profile photo chodearm
  • Reviews: 595

coming soon: Gastofs

Trust is of essence in opening your home to visitors. After stopping into the visitor center in the town square, following directions set forth, we finally reached the front door of a Gastof. The word Gastof reminds me of Gaslight Village in up-state NY but that has nothing to do with anything. Anyways, we simply let ourselves in and walked directly to the restaurant for there was the only stirring movements present. One young women just walked us to a corner room, equipped with a view of the Tauber valley, handed us the key and said "Make sure yoooo clos da door."
Shortlye after she parted, "Breakfast eees at nine."
That 's all, the whole Gastof was ours.

Ghosts and unexplained phenomenoms are a shakey topic with me. I get a chill as I speak of ghost laden stories and my eyes tear uncontrollably. It's strange. While staying at the Gastof, just before sleep I checked on the car to make sure all was locked up. With all kosher I laid my head down and quickly was into dreaming. The next morning after waking, showering and getting dressed we had early morning plans to walk the Wall around the city. When I got to the car just outside the front door, all of the cars windows were half down, nothing was touched, but the seats were misted in dew. I'm still confused.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Historical Travel, Road Trip, Architecture
  • Written January 4, 2005
Tip Photo

two windows to the right are mine

• elgin99 profile photo elgin99
  • Reviews: 541

Gasthof "Zur Altmühlquelle": Calm and comfortable inn

One small inn in a little distance to Rothenburg, in the midst of country surroundings. Very nice owners, a good service and pretty rooms. In the warm season one can have breakfasts outside. Directly at the Altmuehl spring and small sea where also camping is possible. Comfortable, quietly and well. To recommend.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written November 11, 2004

Gasthof "Zur Altm��hlquelle"

• islaazul profile photo islaazul
  • Reviews: 90

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Gaestehaus Raidel: Cozy, but spare, family-run bed & breakfast

Hotel Raidel offers the bare-minimum--clean sheets, a shower, heater, a good breakfast. We found the building charming and cozy, and the proprietor friendly and hospitable. If you are looking for amenities, this is not the place for you--there is no soap, shampoo or hair dryer. This place is good if you are on a budget, and just need a place to crash for a night or two.

Historic building, cozy. Good traditional German breakfast.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written January 11, 2005

Hotel Gerberhaus: The Garden Patio

Our room was on the second floor just above this garden patio (you can just barely see the window through the tree leaves.) We opened the window just slightly at night for some fresh air and found the gurgling of the fountain to be quite relaxing.

photo courtesy hotel web site

• islaazul profile photo islaazul
  • Reviews: 90

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Gasthof zum Ochsen: Cozy, inviting atmosphere

This inn is bare-bones, but cheap, clean, and cozy.

There is a restaurant downstairs that serves traditional German food. Don't get the goulasch soup--it's quite salty.

• Related to: Backpacking, Trains, Budget Travel
  • Written August 30, 2005

• Ilney profile photo Ilney
  • Reviews: 13

Gastholf Butz: Great place to stay

Great place to stay. Restaurant serves tipical food. Excellent breakfast. In summer we can have meals out side in litle tables.
Little garden in the backyard. Very kind staff.

Excellent location, fews steps from the main plazza.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel
  • Written June 13, 2011

Hotel Gerberhaus: Stay in a 500 Year Old Building Inside the Walls

A comfortable, clean room with efficient, friendly service in a hotel that is located within the walls of the medieval city. And the price was very reasonable. We could not have asked for anything more!

The staff went out of their way to make us comfortable. See additional entries and photos of garden and dining room.

Tip Photo

photo courtesy hotel's web site

Hotel Gerberhaus: The Dining Room

This small dining room served as a meeting place for a breakfast buffet, provided with the room. The meats, cheeses, fruits, breads, cereals, spreads and juices were of the highest quality. .

One of the joys of staying in a smaller, family-owned hotel of this sort is getting acquainted with fellow travelers over breakfast in a manner that doesn't seem to happen in those big corporate/chain hotels.

photo courtesy hotel web site

• bpwarne profile photo bpwarne
  • Reviews: 332

Haus Karin: A Rothenburg B&B

We enjoyed our stay of three nights at this B&B in Sept, 2012. Our room was big, clean, quiet, warm and cozy with its own bath room. There are 3 or 4 other rooms available, however, at least 2 of them have shared baths. The house is in a quite neighborhood and there is a separate entry for guests. While Karin certainly came across to us as a model of German efficiency, she also is very set in her ways as we found out at our first breakfast in the house. When I asked for cereal she told me bluntly I was in Germany now and should eat what was on the table. The next day I showed up with a box of cereal which actually made her laugh! We had 2 choices when choosing a B&B,we could either stay within the walls of Rothenburg and its masses of tourists, or choose Karin's B&B,. In the end we were glad we chose Karin's.

Breakfast included
Karin keeps a small fridge in the hallway stocked w/ beer, bottled mineral water, There is also coffee and tea, all free.
If arriving by train she has free pickup and drop off service.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Budget Travel, Architecture
  • Written October 27, 2012
Tip Photo

• suzaila profile photo suzaila
  • Reviews: 21

Karin and Hans Weiß Guest House: A very homely feel guest house

This guest house belongs to a lovely retired couple. It is situated in a housing area and it is just 5 minutes walk away from the tourist spot. The rooms are each nicely decorated and are spotless. The beds are comfortable and Karin even leaves a nice mint chocolate on your pillow. Breakfast is served from 6.30 am (if I remember correctly) and the spread is really good. Karin even cooks up some sausages. Drinks are available 24/7. You just have to go fix them yourself in the kitchen. All this for a resonable price of 23 Euro per person.

Best part is that both Karin and Hans are such nice people and they make you feel so welcomed. I will definitely stay here again.

It was really an icing on the cake when Karin comes and picked us up from the train station. Otherwise, since we don't have a car, we would have to drag our heavy bags and take a few buses. This "to and from the train station" transport service is provided by the lovely couple free-of-charge.

• Written May 9, 2007

• davequ profile photo davequ
  • Reviews: 626

Burg-Hotel: Best Hotel with a view in Rothenburg

Burg-Hotel:

If there is room in your budget, this is one of the more expensive hotels in Rothenburg, and it is worth the money.
Situated on the edge of the ancient city wall with an unobstructed view of the whole Tauber valley from the breakfast terrace, there is no price that can buy this view.
See the website listed on this page. If money's not a problem, it is well spent at Burg-Hotel.

Great rooms & suites, good food, and professional friendly staff. But the view is the most amazing part. Interiors of hotel on the web site also attest to its class and charm.
One sunny breakfast on the ancient city-wall terrace of the hotel and you are hooked. Even the views on the hotel's web site don't do it justice - they have to be seen to be believed. And some of the rooms during "specials" (see web site) are surprisingly affordable.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Historical Travel
  • Written January 21, 2003
Tip Photo

Burg-Hotel.. wait till you see the terrace view

• davequ profile photo davequ
  • Reviews: 626

Hotel Klosterstueble: Rothenburg: Stay at a wonderful family-run Inn

This little Inn / hotel is located right next to the Castle Garden in the old city. The family that runs it is very friendly and helpful.
My room was a very clean, old-style German room with great furniture & ambience. I am pretty jaded about hotels, but this room was so perfectly "Bavarian" I even took pictures of it so I would not forget.
Breakfast was good and included for a mere $55/night rate total in October 2001. They also will serve you a delicious dinner prepared at the hotel by the family.

Gorgeously simple German-Bavarian-Frankonian ambience throughout.
Location is perfect for walking the old city and Rothenburg's beautiful Castle Garden.

Even though I am willing to pay for more expensive hotels like the Burg Hotel, etc. I will most likely stay at Hotel Klosterstueble again as it is so perfectly comfortable, such a great deal and has everything I need. And again enough cannot be said about the kind and helpful family that runs it. I hope they are still there when I return.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Business Travel
  • Written December 17, 2002

Hotel Klosterstueble - a good family-run hotel

• TripRider profile photo TripRider
  • Reviews: 2

Weinstube Pöbel: Good Place & Great Food & Five Stars Hospitality

Best kept secret!
The place is rather small but clean and cozy.
Mr. Pöbel, the owner, is one of the nicest and friendliest German I've ever known.
Having worked as a chef, he prepares typical German food as it should be, and at a very very reasonable price (e.g. Schnitzel with "Bratkartoffel" for 4 - 5 Euros!!! and not any instant schnitzel, but home made from original recipe!!!!) Wine is also good, though not from his own production.
Mr. Pöbel is also very attentive, picked us up from and drove us to the train station.
Breakfast was not "elegant buffet style" but very créme de la créme in its manner.
A double bed room costs 45 Euros. 3 nights or more: 40 Euros/night. (incl. breakfast)

Anyway, very recommended!!!!!!!!!!

Location: right at the famous "Plönlein" and the "Siebersturm"
"Cafe Haus" only three or four houses away.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Family Travel, School Holidays
  • Written December 26, 2006
Tip Photo

Take the steep path to the right

• TempNomad profile photo TempNomad
  • Reviews: 498

Zur Krone: Zur Krone

We ended up here because the place we had reserved had double-booked us. They called up their friends five kilometers away (and five km closer to Rothenburg!) and we happily went about our way. We felt SO LUCKY! They had re-done three wonderful room in May 2005, and we took one of them for 50 Euros, including breakfast. The older rooms, which were also lovely, were slightly less expensive. We had wonderful views, a short drive to Rothenburg, and a very comfortable room. The family (Familie Uhl) was very friendly. They have a restaurant as well; I think it's the only one in the town. We didn't end up eating there, but the breakfast was fantastic. Amazing coffee, for one.

One draw back is that the gasthaus is across the street from a church, and the church rings its bells for the farmers. So, if you don't mind lovely ringing early on, enjoy! If you do mind it, just know it will be over soon and you can go back to sleep.

Tuesdays are their Ruhetag; they open on Wednesdays at 5 P.M.

They also offer wine, soda, water, and snacks downstairs. You write down what you took and it is charged to you when you leave. We were the only English speakers there. The gasthaus has limited English speaking, but they are so nice that I don't think anyone would have trouble. We loved it.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written October 22, 2005
Tip Photo

This was the view from our bedroom

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful