Tiptop Hotel Meistertrunk

Costs 52% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Houses in RothenburgHouses in Rothenburg

Market SquareMarket Square

Don't be fooled by the lack of presentation.....Don't be fooled by the lack of presentation.....

An ancient bell....An ancient bell....

Loveliest place to stay in Rothenburg

Hello,

My husband and I are looking for somewhere to stay in Rothenburg ob der Tauber for 2 nights in December. We would like to stay somewhere really special. Any ideas?
We are then going to drive down to Munich stopping for a few nights on the way. Where are the best places to visit and stay in the area from Rothenburg down to Munich. Nordlingen? Augsburg?

I love Germany and particularly Bavaria however i have only visited the south around Munich.

Many Thanks

by MichaelRees

by la_dolcevita

Thank you very much. I'll see if they have any availability for our nights. Looks great.

by Kakapo2

There are several options for travelling from Rothenburg to Munich. One would be via Nürnberg (Nuremburg) which really is a fantastic city, towered by a castle. The other option would be to do what you already suggested, and I think it would be a wonderful trip cross-country. First Dinkelsbühl, then Nördlingen (it is also a completely walled town). If you criss-cross a little more south of Nördlingen, you could visit small places like Baldern (castle), Lauchheim (castle), Bopfingen (hill named Ipf with traces of a Roman settlement) and Neresheim (Baroque monastery), then make your way down to Augsburg which is a lovely city.

You could also first drive along the motorway A7, and stop in the Aalen area. There are the best Roman remains of the area. And then cross over to Nördlingen via Lauchheim and Schloss Baldern.

by Kakapo2

Mightymazz, nothing against your preference of the small places I had suggested. (I suggested them because I love this region and the little towns.) But I wonder what you have seen of Nürnberg. Your comment is very unfair. Of course, there are the grounds of the Nazi parades, and BTW this is very interesting. But there is also a stunningly beautiful city centre, with lots of half-timbered houses, beautiful churches, the wonderful castle overlooking the city. And in December it has one of the most beautiful Christmas markets in the country. The city is now famous for its gingerbread (Nürnberger Lebkuchen) and sausages (Rostbratwürste).

by la_dolcevita

Great tips Kakapo. Many thanks!! We are going to start in Nuremburg for 2 nights, then go to Rothenburg for a night, then somewhere else as per your suggestions, then finally Munchen for a few nights.
Thanks again for your top suggsetions!

Enjoy your trip!

If you need more info about the small places do not hesitate to ask, I know them perfectly from visiting frequently and cycling in the region. But I am sure you would love Nördlingen and Neresheim, and discover the little gems along the way.

by creees

Yes! the Hotel Hornburg is absolutely divine!! It is the perfect romantic backdrop for a beautiful city. (See my recommendations); we just came back from visiting the Christmas markets in the area of Rothenburg. We loved Dinkelsbuhl (not far from Rothenburg, Esslingen.

Travel Tips for Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Architectural Considerations

by nicolaitan

Much of the charm of Rothenburg lies in the pure Gothic buildings lining the streets. One classic component is the oriel window, here pictured on the Jagstheim House located on the main square by the St. George Fountain. This is a bay, as opposed to bow, window which does not reach to street level and is supported by a decorative corbel. Similar architecture can be seen in Arab and Indian architecture as well as English Victorian buildings.

A second feature is the small windows seen on almost every building just below the peak of the eaves. Back in the middle ages and during the first half of the second millenium, the town council of Rothenburg decreed that every house should store two years of grain in case of prolonged siege. Grain was hoisted to attic level and then passed through these small openings to be stored. Some have been replaced by glass but most retain the original wood covering.

The steep roof lines speak for themselves - preventing the heavy accumulation of snow in the winters and promoting drainage of rain and melting snow. We noticed that most of the buildings were separated by a small space with no common walls. These spaces not only allowed for water drainage but were believed to prevent the spread of the most feared feature of village life - fire.

Inside the walled city.

by Kentbein

The architecture and the people. I had a wonderful time there. The streets and shops inside the walled city are a wonderful snapshot in history. The world is very fortunate to have architecture such as this preserved intact in Rothenburg. It's one of the greatest aspects of a visit to Germany.

Schneeballen

by magor65

One of the aspects of travelling that most people enjoy is tasting the local dishes. Here I must confess about having a hindrance - I am rather conservative (should I say cowardly?) as it comes to new food. That's why during my trips to Asia I feed on chicken, rice and vegetables. Sea food is not for me, nor is any new dish that I don't know the ingredients of... What shall I do? Nobody is perfect.
However, one of the things I cannot resist are sweets. I love most of the cakes, pastries, etc. That's why looking at the shop windows of Rothenburg's confectioneries and bakeries made my mouth water. I simply had to try a schneeball - sort of a doughnut. They are formed by taking long thin strips of dough and rolling them into balls, which are then fried. Some are covered with powdered sugar, some with chocolate and there are also lots of others. I tried the one with chocolate - not bad, but what definitely put me off was the problem I had with eating it - it was too big and round to bite without having the smears of chocolate all over my face.

Tauber Valley

by Sjalen

When Rothenburg gets too much for you, why not hike through the Tauber Valley instead. From the Burggarden in town, you have this lovely view towards the village of Detwang (almost like Wetwang in Yorkshire, which we found highly amusing...) which you can walk to in no time. But the Tauber is a longer river than that, and you can find hiking- and biking maps to fill a week! The Taubertalradweg is a 120 kilometre biking path, and you can also do the 65 kilometre ride to Altmühlsee, or even all the way to Bamberg.

Going to Rothenburg by train, you pass along the Nature Park Frankenhöhe and the town of Burgbernheim, which is also a lovely destination. I have never seen as many birds of prey as along this stretch of track, so the park really must be a haven. The birds have found out how the train vibrations make rabbits and other animals come out of their dens and it is amazing to see how they use this trick.

Cheap Lunch

by Maryimelda about Brot und Zeit

Just a very good bakery which serves light meals, sandwiches and hot and cold drinks as well as a myriad of pastries. There is a casual seating area as well and very important to me, lovely clean restrooms. I chose a BLT and a Latte which cost all of 4.30 euro. No fancy presentation but very tasty anyway.

Comments