Babelfish Hostel

Haugerring 2, Würzburg, Bavaria, 97070, Germany

Babelfish Hostel
Booking.com Hostelworld.com HostelBookers.com

More about Würzburg

........and a sign with a spiky ball!........and a sign with a spiky ball!

Green manGreen man

After the war........After the war........

The Old Town HallThe Old Town Hall

Location of military barracks

by deardear

I have been trying to find the location - street address - of the military barracks used by the USA's First Infantry Division in Wurzburg back in 1954 and 1955. I recall that we would walk back to it after visiting the down town area by crossing the river on the bridge overwhich a streetcar on rails ran. We then walked to the right for several blocks.

At that time many of the buildings on the right had been destroyed and on the left, were many multi story buildings that were empty shells.

We were housed in German Army barracks that had several floors. We understood that the location housed a German Panzar unit. It also had some buildings which were mostly destroyed.

On a recent trip to Germany, I could not locate it as my memory was not good and time was short. I should have done better preparation, but thought that it would not be hard to find.

Perhaps it no longer exists even as housing for the general population.

RE: Location of military barracks

by civilian

sound like the baracs in the "Zellerau" in Wuerzburg. I still rember them, but they have been demolished in the early `90. ( mostlikly after the reduction after desert storm). why dont you have a look in google earth, to find out the street names. today the area is empty, all the baraks are demolished. the area is not far from Nuernberger strasse.

RE: RE: Location of military barracks

by deardear

Thank you for the info.

Best regards.

Travel Tips for Würzburg

People

by chodearm

Momma told me to never stare. As a kid I had a tendancy to do so, differences grabbed and held onto all my attention. I was attracted to differences and picked apart things common and different. At two years old, words were gaining meanings, I pointed at a rather round man and said, "FAT". Embarassing the parents I just giggled with a smile scattering across my face one couldn't get angered at. My people staring hasn't quelled all that much, these days I still stare, I still glimpse, only now I solidify the stare with film.
This man had a perculiar look as he gorged the Ice Cream cone. I took him home in the 2-D.

Stein-Wein-Pfad

by leics

I've put this here, because I suspect most visitors to Wurzburg simply don't get to do it.

I didn't either, sadly.....I had every intention of walkiong the 5km through the vineyards, but the planned day was simply too hot for me to do so.

Starting behind the station (about 10 minutes walk) is a marked set of paths leading you through the various vineyards and up onto the hills (with consequent superb views over the river and city). There are information boards posted at various points, and places to have a rest/drink.

The tourist information office has leaflets (in German) or you can print your own from this link:

If that does not work, look for 'wein and weinland' on the official Wurzburg tourist info site linked below.

Best Italian in Wurzburg

by davidr75 about bella Napoli De Luigi

This rstaurant is small inside and always busy. It is tastfully decorated in a semi-casual/semi-formal style. During the warm months they have several tables outside. You can see the fortress in one direction and an old churcgh inthe other. This is the best way to dine here. I have never had a bad dish. Ask the waiter, Mimi speaks English, Italian and German, what fish they have and he will bring one out for you to see. The pastas are all great and the Veal (Kalb) Shnitzel in the lemon sauce is the best. I usually get something from the Tageskarte (daily specials). My wife likes to get the Duette Pasta, which is 2 diffrent pastas and sauces. Tell them Robert sent you. (My name is actually David, but when I first moved here I made several reservations in my best broken german and reserved them in my last name, Roberts, they have been calling me Robert ever since.)

Marienkapelle

by leics

The red-and-white, twiddly Gothic Marienkapelle stands proudly in the main market square.

It dates from 1377, completed in 1480.............and the interior badly damaged in the 1945 fire.

Above the entrance are figures of Adam and Eve by Tilman Reimanschneider, local Medieval artist and craftsman.but they are replicas (the real ones are in the Mainfrankisches Museum).

Inside, tombstones and memorials which tell you a great deal about what people wore in the past, and a great deal about how skilfully they could work stone and wood.

Worth an exploration for the clothing detail alone!

Weinachtmarkt ~ mulled wine, sausages and gifts

by aaaarrgh

From the end of November until 23rd December each year, Wurzburg holds its Christmas Market next to the Marienkapelle in the city centre. The Marktplatz is filled with colourful craft stalls, local food and drink outlets and street entertainers.

This is a great opportunity to buy a steaming hot mug of gluwein (spicy mulled wine) and, in the centre of the market (indicated by the very long queue) is a large stall which sells (allegedly) the best bratwursts in the area.

OK, I guess you could also call this aa 'Shopping Tip'. There are plenty of interesting crafts and souvenirs on sale. Much wood carving, scented candles and toys for the under the Weinacht Baume (Christmas tree).

Comments