Bellmoor im Dammtorpalais

Hotel Bellmoor im Dammtorpalais
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Hamburg

LandungsbrückenLandungsbrücken

Taken from their websiteTaken from their website

containers 'r uscontainers 'r us

Herbertstrasse & mehr VorspielHerbertstrasse & mehr Vorspiel

Hauptbahnhof region and safety

by samondor

Hello,

me and my husband (40+) will be visiting Hamburg in October. We booked a hotel near hauptbahnhof (I guess named InterCity or something that). We are staying for 3 nights and planning to do a lot of sightseeing and walking, visit many bars etc. As we do not plan to return to hotel before dark, please tell us, should we book another hotel as I have read in this forum and some places else that it may not be safe to walk there after dark. Or is it not so bad if we keep our eyes open and do not mingle with people we do not know :-) ?

And if You recommend us to switch hotels, please can You gave us a hint - a nice hotel in center where there one can safely make long walks and have shopping/culture/bars nearby , max 500 EUR 3 nights/2persons.

Thank You. Danke schön!
Sorry for mistakes, english is my third language.

Samondor

by Steveharley

Hi

I've stayed in Hambug several times and been out and about til the wee hours. It's like all big Cities there are good bits and slightly darker bits - StPauli in the early hours can be a little unnerving. But lots of shops, easy subway and great restaurants and rich history......

Don't worry - you'll love it

by Turtleshell

The area around Hauptbahnhof / Central Station is indeed a bit unwelcoming, especially Hauptbahnhof Süd / South. There are often drunk people, some are dealing with drugs. Still if you don't mingle with people, changes that you will get assaulted are low. It's just unwelcoming and filthy. Plus, your hotel is directly located at Mönckebergstraße, a shopping street at the northern side of the station were it is already noticeably better.

No need to change your hotel.

by samondor

Thank You so much. You are so helpful. I am really amazed.

Travel Tips for Hamburg

Hamburg Tip

by Anton_Ernst

Taking a tour of the harbor (hafen) was truely an eye-opener. Even though my German language is 'nichts sehr gut,' and I could barely understand what was being described, the tour reveals the massiveness of the operation. The shipping industry in Hamburg is vast!

Aircraft building

by frankyboy5

The decision of the European aircraft maker Airbus to assemble the A380 aircraft in Hamburg has made the city Germanys leading centre for aircraft manufacturing. Other products made in Hamburg include Nivea, Steinway pianos and Montblanc fountain pens.

Airberlin

by frankyboy5

On 28th April 1979 the first Air Berlin flight took off from Berlin-Tegel to Palma de Mallorca. Germany's favourite holiday island is still the prime destination of Air Berlin's route network. The Majorca Shuttle operates daily flights from 12 German airports. The total number of weekly flights to Majorca has increased from 140 (summer 2001) to 300 (summer 2006).

But Air Berlin also regularly serves all the other major holiday destinations on the Mediterranean coast, as well as in the Canary Islands, Portugal and North Africa.

In the winter of 1998/1999, for instance, the Spanish mainland experienced a renaissance, which is why Alicante, Almeria, Malaga and Jerez de la Frontera have long been an integral part of our flight schedule. The same applies to all the Canary Islands, Greece and its many islands, the south of Italy, Turkey, Faro in Portugal, Madeira, Tunisia, Morocco and Egypt.

In October 2002 Air Berlin launched the City Shuttle. It connects German airports with major European cities like Amsterdam, Barcelona, Bournemouth, Budapest, Copenhagen, Helsinki, London-Stansted, Madrid, Milan-Bergamo, Manchester, Paris, Rome, Vienna and Zurich.

Air Berlin is also constantly expanding its routes outside Germany, for example from London and Amsterdam to Majorca, or within Spain from Palma de Mallorca to 16 destinations on the mainland and on the Balearic Islands.

In January 2005 the previous product lines were combined to form the Euro Shuttle, thereby underlining the airline?s core European competence.

Fisch Imbiß (Fish snacks in...

by DanielF

Fisch Imbiß (Fish snacks in the street). I know there are a lot of good restaurants in Hamburg, but I can't help having a Matjes or a Bismarkbaguette when I am in Hamburg. It is not the best fishfood you will have ever tried, but if you come from inner Germany, where there is not a large variety of fish dishes and they are not excellent either, fish lovers will feel released here. Fish, mainly herrings, are traditionally prepared so that they could be stored for a long time: smoked or in vinegar sauces: try the Rollmöpse, the Matjes, the Bucklings, the Birmarckheringe...

Hamburg Dungeon

by Kushelkitten

When a friend of mine from Australia came to visit and the question of, " what should we see" came up it was hard to decide. She was only in town for a day and a half. She wanted something fun but also wanted a museum or something historical. The first thing that popped into my mind was the Dungeon.

Its been open about 3 or 4 years now and while Ive thought about going I have never taken the time. So my friend and I and I got up early on a Sunday morning to stand in line in the cold for tickets. Right now I can tell you if you want to go buy your tickets in advance. The line wasnt that long but if you have them ahead of time you will get inside a lot quicker.

They take you in to buy your tickets in your group (or couple) because first you get your picture taken decapitating your friends. Next onto the ticket line where you pay and then they leave you in a fairly dark room where you wait to be let in to the main portion. They take groups of 30 people at a time.

I wont tell you everything that goes on because I dont want to spoil it for you but you do get to re-live the dark parts of Hamburg's history such as the black plague, the fire, the flood, and Klaus Stoertebecker's execution. Stoertebecker was the infamous pirate who raided the Hanseatic League's ships. All in all its a lot of fun and the actors they have are great. Sometimes you have to tell yourself, "This isnt real."

I dont think I would recommend it for younger children but older kids and teens would probably enjoy it a lot. Although the actors speak German the signs inside and the film parts are subtitled in English.

(Photo soon)