Cabo Hotel

Booking.com Priceline.com Hotelsclick.com

More about Hamburg

LandungsbrückenLandungsbrücken

The entranceThe entrance

St Petri and the excavations in frontSt Petri and the excavations in front

Bergedorfer Schloss - at the east-end of HamburgBergedorfer Schloss - at the east-end of Hamburg

London to Hamburg - Cheapest way ?

by basiltherat

I'll be travelling to Hamburg from Colchester, Essex in England on 19 August. I'd prefer to take a Harwich ferry across to the continent on the way cos its closer to my home. Can this be done ? Are there any reasonable alternatives ? Thanks.
Ita

RE: London to Hamburg - Cheapest way ?

by HORSCHECK

Hiya,

Ryanair serves the route London-Stansted to Luebeck which is located about 60 km north of Hamburg. Prices start at 17,99 Euro (excluding taxes). Please check www.rayanir.com.

I hope this helps

HORSCHECK :o)

Travel Tips for Hamburg

Ships lined up in the...

by a_manisa

Ships lined up in the harbour...
I shot this photo to paint the scene later; copy & enlarge.
The sailing vessel behind is a historical ship and entrance requires payment... decision required: Beer(?) or the Historical ship(?)...
I've selected the Beer because my resources were limited and must be spent very carefully - used for the urgent matters(!)
I recognized later that the the scene to have vast details beyond my ability to paint. I finally painted another simpler scene tasting my beer in the only bar at Baumwall station (harbour side).
This drawing can be seen in my 2'nd cultural tip.

Party til dawn

by alza about St. Pauli and Reeperbahn

I got a few warnings about this area but I ended up being sent there by the Youth Hostel, which was full. It was lively & fun, especially at night, full of young people, eateries, jazz clubs, bars, all services a traveller might need (photo shops, launderettes, department store, etc.)

I met a guy who lives in St. Pauli. He gave me useful tips & assured me it was very safe. Turned out it was. He did mention one street that I should avoid but that street is actually hidden behind huge boards & they only let men in.
My car was parked around the corner for 3 days -- I never had a problem.

On the square where this pic was taken, there's a large round kiosk selling the best sausages, french fries & all sorts of other goodies, very cheap. You can eat as you mix with the friendly crowd. Everyone seemed relaxed & happy. Overall, I had a great feeling being there.

VT member nepalgoods told me that the police station pictured here has been used countless times in movie sets. The whole square is so atmospheric, it's unreal. outlandish

Hamburg's airport Fuhlsbüttel'...

by sabsi

Hamburg's airport Fuhlsbüttel' is really nice, well organized and not far from the city centre. The problem is that there's no train connection to get there - just busses. Have a look at the gorgeous view of the port from the air when arriving in or departing from Hamburg!!!

Awesome Area

by PelLihi

Ok, I gotta be onest. We were very lucky, to have the nicest weather during our stay in Hamburg. And if the sun is shining, Blankenese is a definite must for a visit. Lots of people strolling around, bars and restaurants and watching the sea. Marvellous!
I really enjoyed it. Walk around a little bit and check out the houses - the rich people are living there.
Just a tip: Take the bus no. 36 departing from "Rathaus". This bus takes the scenic route all the way to Blankenese - very nice.

St Pauli

by mindcrime

Although I support the local football team (St Pauli FC is a small one but full of pation and with a great merchandise especially if you are a rocker ) the district of St Pauli isn’t the best site for some visitors. It’s full of weird sex stores, night clubs, casino, peep shows, cheap restaurants, pubs etc It is similar to Pigalle in Paris.

We had walked many times through the day but during the night it feels kind of creepy and it’s not the best place especially if you are a woman traveling alone. Of course, most of the girls have fun here too but there are some parts that are men-only and girls getting in there are in real danger. So, AVOID Herbeststrasse and you’ll be ok. Hernetsytasse is a short street by the way, closed at both ends, and in case you don’t already know about it there are girls on the windows (like in Amsterdam).

After exiting the station you’ll notice a small fun park. Just walk along Reeperbahn and check the funny/weird sex shops (the area is Hamburg’s Red Light District), choose one of the numerous restaurants (great for budget travelers) or just drink a beer with the local rockers/punks. Don’t forget that the area is also full of theatre live venues etc Beatles gave their first concerts here at Grosse Freiheit 39.

Comments