Hotel Wagner im Dammtorpalais

More about Hamburg

local buslocal bus

HamburgHamburg

Espresso yourself!Espresso yourself!

Dialog im Dunkeln - the world of the blindDialog im Dunkeln - the world of the blind

Which part can I go from Ham?

by sillyger

Hi VT friends,

I'm desperate needed help, I will be travelling down to Ham on 8-Jun to attend a wedding. I will be extending my stay in Germany till 16-Jun before I fly to Paris. My friend will not be available on 14-June, any suggestion what to do around in Germany? I have yet to book the domestic flight to Paris, hoping I can fly out from other part of Germany to Paris.

So far, the only place I know is Berlin.

1) Where to visit & stay on 14 & 15-Jun (Accessible to take flight to Paris)
2) What must-do / must-see at that place?

Thank you in advance....Look forward for replies at the soonest

by abalada

From 8 till 13. June you'll stay in Hamburg?

There are highspeed trains from Cologne, Frankfurt and Stuttgart to Paris. You could combine Cologne and the Middle Rhine Valley and from there by ICE to Paris Est.

Cologne
Don't miss the mighty Cologne Cathedral. Which is however barely possible.
Guess you're rather young: climb on the southern tower of the cathedral. Great view from a place which was the highest building on the planet when finished.

Middle Rhine Valley
Not that you come home and think that Germany is flat from A-Z. Cute castles and nice medieval towns.

The ICE from Frankfurt to Paris Est is with its speed of up to 330 kph also an attraction on its own.

by sillyger

Hi there,

I will be staying till 13-Jun, free on 14-Jun onwards but I need to be at Paris by 16-June to meet my other friend.

by chennaismartguy

Check the easyjet airlines website. If you book in advance it may be less than 100 EUR for Paris, from Hamburg.

Travel Tips for Hamburg

Hamburg's 5 Hauptkirchen (main...

by CubsIn4

Hamburg's 5 Hauptkirchen (main churches) were built between the late Middle Ages and the Baroque period. Each one offers unique features and is worth visiting as they represent a part of Hamburg's long history. Since I lived with a host family and visited a local school, my best memories are of the people I met there. When I think about Hamburg, the first things I think of are my host family's house (they were co-owners of a duplex), the local school and the parties and discos I went to with my host sister and her friends.

The football chronicle of HSV - Pre 1949

by frankyboy5

September 29th 1887: The Hohenfelder Sports Club and the Wandsbek-Maruienthaler Sports Club found "Sport-Club Germania von 1887", which was to become one of the three clubs to form HSV.

June 1st 1919: SC Germania, Hamburg FC and FC Falke 1906 merge to form Hamburg SV. The club colours of red and white are picked as a compromise suitable for all.

1921: The club's first Northern title for is claimed after an 8-0 win against Holstein Kiel.

June 18th 1922: HSV reach the final of the German Championship against Nuremburg for the first time. 189 minutes are played without a result being reached and the game ends 2-2. The stadium in Berlin is not yet outfitted with floodlights.

August 6th 1922: The replay, which is played in Leipzig, is blown up by referee Dr. Peco Bauwens after 112 minutes with the sides drawing at 1-1. The reason for the referee?s decision is that Nuremburg is reduced to a goalkeeper and six outfield players. The German Football Association awards the championship to HSV.

January 7th 1923: Black day for HSV as they are hammered 0-10 by SpVpp Fuerth.

June 10th 1923: HSV beat Union Oberschoenwiede 3-0 to clinch another German Championship.

June 9th 1924: The club suffers their first defeat in a German Championship final, losing 2-0 to Nuremberg in Berlin.

July 29th 1928: A 5-2 victory over Hertha BSC in Altona, earns HSV the German Championship.

September 1937: For 50 year anniversary celebrations, friendlies are arranged with Nuremberg and Schalke 04.

July 16th 1945: HSV?s first match after the war is against Altona 93. The 2-0 winning team is:
J?rissen, Adamkiewicz, Been, Greifenberg, Erwin Seeler, Kn?ppel Struck, Stenull, Rohwedder, Ventzke, Melkonian.

June 30th 1949: Georg Knoepfle moves from Arminia Hannover to take over as trainer. He brings Jupp Posipal with him as his assistant.

Comedy - Shrill and Bizarre

by chris.hh about Schmidt Theater

The Schmidt Theater is an institution in Hamburg since 1988. The old theatre had to be torn down and the new one opened in 2005. It highlightens the Reeperbahn in glowing red. German comedy and own productions take place here. Very famous is Schmidt Mitternachtsshow every Saturday at 0:00 a.m. that features comedy, artistry and music.
They also have a musical called "Heiße Ecke" that is not that "cultural" highlight but it reflects the Reeperbahn atmosphere very well - regarding this - it definately is fitting.
The motto for the whole program is shrill, colorful and bizarre. Rather casual than perfectly dressed...

Great Portuguese seafood!

by Carletto76 about La Sepia

La Sepia is a very nice Portuguese restaurant, located in Schanzen-Viertel. You can choose among many seafood dishes. We ate some muscheln-spieß, which were really good.
The prices are quite low, the service is sometimes a bit slow, but it's really a good restaurant if you want to eat seafood at reasonable prices! Muscheln-spieß (I didn't try other things!)

Take lunch opposite the Town Hall

by ranger49

Following our boat trip on the Alster we were ready for Lunch and our kind hostess guided us to an excellent restaurant opposite the Town Hall in the Alsterarkaden. It was warm and sunny so we sat outside with a bird's eye view of all that was going on around us and across the water at the impressive building of the Rathaus.
It struck me as very cosmopolitan atmosphere but with a quality of its own - relaxed, comfortable but quietly efficient. The fishy lunch was excellent too.

Comments