Le Meridien Royal Hamburg

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 27% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Poda's Profile Photo

Lovely hotel

It's a nice hotel, very exspensive but if you find a special price you can really enjoy a lot to stay here.

Unique Quality: The caffe on the top... wonderful view

Directions: in front of the lake

More about Le Meridien Royal Hamburg

La Ciel Restaurant

by Bob_Shan about La Ciel Restaurant

On the 8th floor of Le Royal Meridien Hotel Hamburg.

It faces the innter Alster lake, and has fantastic view.

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member nathindubai

We stayed at the Le Meridien Royal Hamburg for two nights in early December 2007. We travelled to Hamburg so as to experience some Christmas spirit... We choose the hotel for a couple of reasons. First of all, and most importantly, the reviews here on TripAdvisor were all very good, and secondly I found out that I could get a very good rate through my employer.
We arrived to find the rooms very nicely decorated, with all the facilities you could need. The hotel was ideally placed for the town centre, just a short 5min walk to the central train station.
We used the bar one evening situated on the top floor, with views out over the Alster. All very nice.
If we ever head back to Hamburg, I would make Le Meridien my first port of call.

Nice place to stay!

by TripAdvisor Member Stefano1969

I visited Hamburg once again, and this time i decided to stay at Le Royal Meridien, attracted, overall, by lthe ocation directly on the Alster Lake.
Good impression i had at first sight was confirmed by my (short, unfortunetely) stay. I arrived earlier than check-in time but the room was already available. And what room! Really really nice. Wide, modern, well furnished, with a very comfortable bed and a nice bathroom, provided with both tub and fantastic shower (where you can take a walk in..).
Some friend of mine came to visit me after dinner at "Le Ciel" bar, and they were impressed about the fantastic view from this bar.
The whole staff is very professional, helpful and kind. Differently from others five stars, even in Hamburg, this hotel doesn't give you the impression to be too much upstage, and it let you be at ease.
I hope to be in Hamburg soon and stay at le Royal Meridien again.

Superb- the way it should be done

by TripAdvisor Member Bilbos_Dad

I booked this hotel at the last minute without any research- basically due its position on the lake and it being near the area of Hamburg I was to visit. What a happy accident

From the outside the hotel does not look that impresive ( the only bad thing I can think of to say about the hotel!)

Once inside you enter a beautiful lobby decorated with flowers& works of art (these feature heavily in the hotel)

The staff on the reception desk were welcoming and smiling and very happy to converse in English once they realised that my German was somewhat rusty. My room was confirmed and i was offered an upgarde to a lake view room with balcony at a very reasonable cost

The rooms are accessed vis lifts from the looby with all of the lobbys showing various works of art

The standard of the room was very high with an excellent wet room/ bathroom, plasma TV, tea & coffee making facilities and safe. The beds deserve special mention as they have beautiful etched glass headboards. Unusually the rooms in this hotel really do look like the ones in the brochure/ website. A decgree in Electronis is useful to work out the light switches though

I had room service lunch on my first day, which was of excellent quality and arrived quickly. I can recomend that guests take room service breakfast which arrives on a fully dressed table with cloth and silver serving dishes

Unfortunately due to time constraints I was not able to sample the leasure facilities at the hotel

On the upper floor is the cocktail bar and restaurant enjoying views over the lake. They appear somewhat sparse during the day but at night they come alive. The bar sells a wide range of spirits / beers and cocktails. The rsaturant was of very high quality with superb unhurried service and marvelous food

All in all a fantastic hotel in a lovely city. I would thouroughly recomend this to anyone. Two weeks after my return I stayed in a central London hotel costing much more than here and realised what a long way we have to go in England

Simple - The Best!

by TripAdvisor Member chuffedwithbarcelo

Quite simply the best Hotel we've ever stayed in. Everything from concierge, room service, dining, bars etc...everyhting was perfect. This is how a top-class hotel should be run, a tough act to follow

Simply very good!

by TripAdvisor Member bas1st

We've stayed here for two nights and were able to book a good rate through the hotel website for a deluxe room including breakfast. The room was really large and modern, as was the bathroom and everything looked incredibly clean! Nice touches in the room were the complimentary minibar (although the were only 2 beers, 2 sodas and 2 waters in it), the good mattresses and the seperate (large) shower. We didn't mind that we weren't given a room with lake views since those rooms also face a noisy street with lots and lots of traffic. The rooms in the back face a quiet square with a church.

The staff were just great! Very friendly, from the reception to the people in the bar and restaurant. They made us feel very welcome. Upon arrival at Hamburg Airport, one of our bags went missing. We were told that if they found the bag, they would drop it off at the hotel. We informed the reception about it and later that afternoon one of the concierges delivered the bag to our room and even refused a tip! :-)

The bar on the top floor is nice and has some great views (especially at night), but is not that big so it gets crowded quickly. The bar connected at the lobby is much larger and has much more comfortable chairs and seats. As in any 5 star hotel, the prices of food and beverage are 5 star as well... € 4 for a cup of coffee, but for that money you do get a very good cup... :-)

Breakfast was ok, but a bit expensive when it's not included in the room price (€ 24 or € 11 p.p. downstairs for a smaller version of the buffet in the restaurant on the top floor).

All in all a very good experience in a great city!

Great new hotel with many positive surprises

by TripAdvisor Member BlackStoneZA

Stayed here twice in June 2007

The staff is friendly and provides no-nonsense good service.

Rooms are very generous in size with large flat screen and a small mini-bar selection is offered at no charge. Coffee and tea is also available in the room.

Found the layout and design of bathroom quite attractive but the light above the bathroom mirror is inadequate for shaving.

The breakfast buffet is 9/10 and this top floor restaurant has a great view over the Alster Lake.

Nice Comfortable Contemporary Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member PSTravelingMan

This hotel is a nice hotel with very modern, comfortable rooms. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The beds are comfortable but a little too soft for my liking. The pillows were also a little too soft for my liking. The room was modern with flat screen tv and contemporary furnishings. The shower was amazing - large space and powerful shower head with two body massage heads as well.

Our room had an amazing view of the Alster lake. The road below the hotel can get very busy and sometimes noisy though. The hotel was also going through a remodel on the floors above us so there was construction noise starting early in the morning but this should be wrapped up soon.

We enjoyed our stay at Le Meridien in Hamburg but not sure we'd necessarily recommend it - more of a neutral feel for the place.

Nice hotel but up against some stiff competition

by TripAdvisor Member BabyGray

Stayed here on my first of now many business trips and chose this hotel as I am a SPG member.
First impression of the hotel waqs good-modern design and staff were very friendly refering to me and my colleagues by name.
Rooms are very nice and come with extra amentities ie complementary drinks in the mini bar. The design of the bar on the upper floor with a view over the lake is very nice although on the two occassions I used it, it seemed a bit 'soulless'.
The location of the hotel is both a postive and a negative-on the plus side it has a great location overlooking the lake but on the negative could be a little far from the centre of town (5-10 min walk) for some who want to be near the shops.
For me personally I'd have to chose the Grand Hyatt over this property as I think it just edges it (more in centre of town and just a little bit nicer in certain areas eg the bar) although there is not much in it so I'd advise people to chose the one that they could get the better rate at. Also worth considering is the Marriott which has been my choice on my last two stays due to the good rate I have been able to get-again shop around and any of these three hotels will serve you well.

How to get around in Hamburg

by Spiritfa

I will be visiting Hamburg soon since I will be taking the Queen Mary 2 on a transatlantic voyage from New York To Hamburg and I have decided to stay in Hamburg 2 extra nights. How can I get around from the port to my hotel in Hamburg. And were exactly is the port were the cruise ships arrive?

RE: How to get around in Hamburg

by pieter_jan_v

See: http://www.hafencity.com/index.php?set_language=en
for the Hamburg Cruise center information.

Hamburg has a S-bahn, busses and taxis.
Which hotel did you book; it might be in walking distance.

PJ

I will be at Le Royal Meridien

by pieter_jan_v

Cruise terminal on the Hamburg map:

Your hotel on the Hamburg map:

Both locations are roughly 4 km apart.
I think a taxi is the easiest way to go to your hotel (count on 15 Euro's for the ride; dependent on the traffic in midtown).

PJ