Hotel Alte Laterne

hotel.info Booking.com Travelocity

More about Baden-Baden

Caracalla Thermal BathsCaracalla Thermal Baths

Courtyard of the BaldreitCourtyard of the Baldreit

Former train ticket counter, now box officeFormer train ticket counter, now box office

Roulette table inside the CasinoRoulette table inside the Casino

Honeymoon in Germany

by Will.Reis

Hello all,

My wife and I will be traveling in Europe for three weeks on our honeymoon. We plan on spending some time in Germany, specifically at Baden-Baden. We will be there during the Christmas - New Year season. Any lodging recomendations? Also, are there any special events at Baden-Baden on Christmas or Christmas Eve? Or on New Year's Eve and Day? Any other advice or recommendations regarding Baden-Baden would be great. Thanks.

Re: Honeymoon in Germany

by Apus

I had a look on their website www.baden-baden.de - there is a opera festival mentioned. If I would be you ;-) I would send an Information request to the tourism centre (on the same site) and just tell them what you like and what you are looking for.

lodging:
have a look on

25.12.2003 - 30.12.2003 Festival Hall Mariinsky Opera Festival I Richard Wagner: The Ring of the Nibelung, Ticket Hotline Tel: +49 (0) 7221 275233

31.12.2003 Kurhaus New Year's Eve-Gala

maybe ask "vt-poweruser" ;-) tini58de , she lives in Karlsruhe not far away. from baden-baden you can make wonderful daytrips to black forest and it's villages and cities and even france is just a stonethrow away. I would recommend visiting the old town centre of Strassbourg.

or you could make a trip to the very beautiful german wine road with dozens of beautiful villages. I could show you some very nice places. Its one hour by car to my place from baden-baden. Speyer (22km) with the cathedral of the Salian emperors (11C, UNESCO World Heritage, largest cathedral of the world in romanesque style!! - ) and also Heidelberg is in the same range.

by Sjalen

Yes, I too would recommend a day in wonderful Strasbourg! Also down to Freiburg-in-Breisgau, a lovely and lively university city where you could also go up the Schauinsland mountain and see for miles into France and Switzerland (see my Black Forest page for pics).

by sniem

Hi there,
you could also visit the Casino in Baden-Baden on New Years Eve. They are open but I'm not sure if they have a special programm for that evening. Even if your not into gambling it's really worth a visit, on this or another evening and said to be the most beautiful casino in the world. Here is their website: http://www.casino-baden-baden.de/

I would also recommend a visit to the famous thermal baths, actually that's from where the name Baden-Baden originates.
A great place to eat is the restaurant LA PROVENCE
(Schloss-Str. 20) in an old wine cellar.

Silke

by Nelie

The hotels in Baden-Baden always offers special packagages.

You get more infos on the official Homepage of Baden-Baden.

A really must see activity are the spas ( Friedrichbad and Caracallatherme)
For closer details see http://www.carasana.de/home/de/index.html

A silvester Party usually takes place in Kurhaus and some other locations like the discotheque Max's. But by now I do not know any closer details.

Arround Baden-Baden are many hiking trails. E. G. A nice walk is from Neues Schloss to Altes Schloss. At Altes Schloß you can climb up the tower and from there you have an extraordinary view over Baden-Baden and the
“Rheinebene”

If you like to go to the Casino to play roulette or Black Jack you need a suit and a tie or something like a coktail dress. With jeans and sport shoes you get no admission. If you only like to participate a guided tour a suit is not
necessary.

A great experience is to go to Festspielhaus because it is so huge. But you should organise your tickets before.
Here are the contact details:
Festspielhaus und Festspiele Baden-Baden gGmbH
Beim Alten Bahnhof 2
76530 Baden-Baden
info@festspielhaus.de
Telephone number for reserving tickets:
Tel: +49(0)7221/3013-101
Fax: +49 (0) 7221/3013-211

I have several tips on my Baden-Baden page: http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/4e7ba/12d15/

As a daytrip you can visit Straßbourg or you could go by tram from Rastatt to Freudenstatt. This special tram is called Murgtalbahn and the railway line leads you through a wonderfull landscape and you can get off at Gernsbach or Weissenbach or Forbach. This tram has a homepage but it is only in German but by clicking on the citys you get at least an impression http://www.gaggenau.de/murgtal/

Please drop me a line when you know the exact dates you will stay in Baden-Baden. Then I could show you some nice spots.

by pioupiou

Hi,
If you stay in Baden-Baden, I recommend a day trip (or more) to my wonderful home-town: Strasbourg! (in France, just accross the border)
Have fun
/Anne

by Will.Reis

Anne,

Thanks for the tip. I think we (my wife and I) will at least make a day trip to Strasbourg. From what we have seen, it looks like a wonderful place. We went to http://www.strasbourg.com and got some good infromation. Do you know of any other good web sites? We will definetely visit the Cathedral. Can you recommend any other "must see" places? Merci beaucoup.

Supria & Will

by pioupiou

Well the best area is the whole oldtown center, which included the cathedral of course, but also this area called Petite France, which has old pebbled streets and really old houses (some of them from the 12th century)
Around Xmas, (usually from the 1st december till the end of the year) there is a really nice Christmas market, it used to be only in front of the cathedral but now it spread all over the city and is quite popular. But it's a great time to visit as the streets are very nicely decorated and lit.
If you can choose, though, avoid week ends, as it's even more crowded than usual!

Feel free to ask me if you have any specific question!
/Anne

Re: Honeymoon in Germany

by Jimmy_Stimm

I'd just like to add my two cents in that Strassbourg is definitely worth the trip. The cathedral is beautiful. A hotel suggestion is the Cathedral Hotel, located directly across from the Cathedral. I stayed there and loved it. (http://www.hotel-cathedrale.fr/)

Also, try the "Baeckeoeffe", a local dish. It's awesome.

My girlfriend and I will be in and around baden-baden for new years as well. It should be fun.

Travel Tips for Baden-Baden

Schweizerhäuser - Swiss Chalets

by Kathrin_E

In the late 19th century the so-called "Schweizerhäuser" (Swiss chalets) were characteristic in Baden-Baden. Only a few of these half-timbered houses still exist. So far I have discovered two: one in the corner of Kaiser-Wilhelm-Straße/Beutigweg/Werderstraße, the other one on the hill behind the New Palace.

Caracalla Thermal Baths

by nhcram

More modern looking than the Friedichsbad. The bathing area has a large variety of bathing pools and a Roman saunascape with an outdoor area in the picturesque castle gardens. Prices vary according to how long you stay and there are parking facilities too.

Merkurberg

by Kathrin_E

Baden-Baden’s „house mountain“ offers a beautiful view of the Oos valley with the town, the mountains of the northern Black Forest and over the Rhine plain to the Vosges. A network of hiking trails start from the top station of Merkurberg funicular, so if you feel like exercise you have plenty of options. If you prefer taking it easy, enjoy the view, walk a bit round the summit, watch the hanggliders, stop for a coffee at the cafe in the top station… If you plan more activity, the summit is connected to the wide network of hiking trails around Baden-Baden.

Originally named Großer Staufenberg, it was renamed Merkurberg after an ancient stone relief of the Roman god mercury had been found here. A copy is put up on the summit.

Around the Spas

by Russell_the_Wombat

Humans love to bathe and relax in hot water. Baden-Baden's natural thermal springs have been used and enjoyed for some 2000 years. Pretty bath houses have been built above the springs, with pools and basins and everything.

I am not really sure about that. I do not like taking a bath very much. My fur takes forever to dry afterwards and being dripping wet feels so miserable.

Friedrichsbad is the most beautiful of the spas in Baden-Baden. I have never been inside, though. Bathing is bad enough. I heard that in Friedrichsbad you have to go nude. There is no way I am taking off my fur, nonono!!!!

The building on the left is the old steam bath which is nowadays used for arte xhibitions and stuff like that. On the right you see a wing of Friedrichsbad.

Between the two buildings someone has put up those water pots. It must have been a male human because this construction is not really practical. The pedestals are far too high. How does one reach and use the pots? No woman would design such crap.

This very flat guy is a work of art next to the old steam bath.

This is the front facade of Friedrichsbad. A temple of hot water.

This young lady has just left Friedrichsbad, I assume, because she has no clothes, only a towel. I asked her some questions about how this bathing works. She could not convince me to give it a try, though.

Comments