Schroecker Tor

Expedia.com

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen

Margaret, Martha, Holger, Koos, Nat, Tini, AndreaMargaret, Martha, Holger, Koos, Nat, Tini, Andrea

Carl, Christian, Isa, Mariel, CindyCarl, Christian, Isa, Mariel, Cindy

Tini cooking her absolutely delicious soupTini cooking her absolutely delicious soup

Isa, Martha, Natalie, AndreaIsa, Martha, Natalie, Andrea

Travel Tips for Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen

Not really a travel destination!

Well, I live here.....
and I am enjoying it a lot!

So this would be the only reason to go to Eggenstein - to drop by for a short visit!!! My home - and that is such a wonderful place to return to!!!

Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe

by tini58de

The Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe (Karlsruhe Research Center) is located in Leopoldshafen. It is one of the biggest research centers in Europe. For some interesting information, do have a look at their website:

Karlsruhe Research Center In November 2006 Hubby and I went to the Rhine river to see the world's biggest vaccum container. This container was just recently built in Bavaria (400 km away from here) and was built for the nuclear research center in my home town. It will be used to research about the mass of neutrinos.

Well, to get this container (named Katrin) from Deggendorf to Leopoldshafen - a distance of 400 km) they had to make a detour of 8400 km!! Unbelievable, but true!

The container weighs 200 tons and is unbelievably huge (24 m long!!!), so it was not possible to haul it on the road. From Bavaria they shipped it on the Danube river to the Black Sea, from there via the Mediterranean through the Strait of Gibraltar to the Atlantic Ocean all the way up to the Netherlands. On the Rhine River then they shipped it all the way to Leopoldshafen.

But now comes the most difficult part: the 7 km from the Rhine river to the research center!!! They had two 14 ax lorries which were manoevered by a man standing on the first one using a remote control and having helpers to give him directions. They had to uninstall traffic lights, cut trees, even uninstall those electrical wires and the tram electricity wires and then get that spectrometer through those narrow streets of Leopoldshafen. At one point they had just a few inches of space between the houses and the spectrometer..... Breathtaking!!! If you like to read a little bit more about it and have some more pics, please have a look at my post at Travellers To Go!

This was a real event for us Egg-Leos!!

For some more information here is one website in German and another more technical one in English.

Christmas market

by yumyum

Each year on the first advent weekend Eggenstein has its own little Christmas market. Our local VT hosts (tini58de, madschick, Jadefrau, Bernd_L) took us there this year for some mulled wine (Gluehwein).

It is located conveniently next to Andreas Brauhaus on the big carpark.

Starsingers

by tini58de

I am not sure if you know the tradition that around Epiphany the children dress up as the holy kings and go from door to door, sing a song, collect donations for poor children around the world and bless the house by writing a blessing above the door. This is a Catholic tradition, so I did not know it from where I used to live! Last year was the first time we had the starsingers visit our house and I was too overwhelmed to take a picture! But this year I was prepared and they kind of liked it, too!

Playing games

by Leipzig

In the evening we played a funny game. You had seven triangles on which three numbers were written in each corner. The aim was to lay all your triangles next to given triangles with the requirement that the numbers on your triangle equal the numers on the adjacent one. If none of your triangles fit to the others you had to take additional one.

Later we played a self-made game called "Germany Travel". I liked it a lot because I won. Every player got ten cards with destinations and had to dice to get from one point to the others.
Hard to explain, easy to play.

Comments