Hotel Goldener Falke

Photos:
1. Hotel Goldener Falke
2. City Hall from my window
3. Market Square from my window

Since Heidelberg is quite close to my home in Frankfurt am Main and there are several late-evening trains, I don't usually have to stay overnight. But this time I knew I would be up at the castle until quite late after the open-air opera performance, so I decided to find a hotel at the bottom of the hill below the castle, and this was it.

The hotel is an older building (dating from around 1700 I think, when the city was re-built after the destruction of the War of Palatinate Succession), and I noticed this particularly because the floor of my room slanted towards the back, which I thought was a quaint touch. But everything was clean and freshly painted and the sanitary facilities were modern.

Breakfast was fine and the people were friendly, so on the whole I was satisfied with my brief stay.

The location is quite central, on the Market Square directly across from the City Hall, but the downside of this is that the tram tracks don't go into this end of the Old Town, so you have to take a bus from the station. This is all right except that the buses don't run as often and they have to take a circuitous route to get here.

(I have also eaten two meals at their restaurant, or rather at their outdoor tables on the Market Square, once in 2004 and once in 2010.)

Maryimelda's Profile Photo

You're very welcome here

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 15, 2009

I was made to feel extremely welcome on my arrival at the Goldener Falke which is situated on the main square in Heidelberg. The staff were all friendly, helpful and courteous. The room was larger than most with a lovely bathroom. There were even two English speaking channels on the TV which always scores brownie points from me. Unfortunately the bed could have been higher and the pillows firmer and the room definitely could have used a fan, but at the end of the day, it was a wonderful hotel all round.

Unique Quality: The hotel also has a big restaurant which does a roaring trade all day and night. (See my restaurant tip). I will definitely return to the Goldener Falke.

Directions: In the Market Square right across from the Rathaus.

Nearby Hotel Goldener Falke

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Hotel Goldener Falke

• Restaurant

Heidelberg Travel Forum

Need advice about Heidelberg, Germany? Visit the Travel Forum for Heidelberg and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Heidelberg hotel reviews