Heiliggeiststrasse 1, Heidelberg, Baden-Wurttemberg, 69117, Germany

Costs 25% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Heidelberg

Ioannes Casimirus MDXCIIIoannes Casimirus MDXCII

The Alte BrueckeThe Alte Bruecke

Yummy cup of hot cocoaYummy cup of hot cocoa

View from the castle....View from the castle....

Help! I need a place to stay Sunday 1 October 2006!

by Natalia_NZ

Hello!

I wanted to stay overnight at the youth hostel in Heidelberg, but this is full. Could anyone please tell me some alternative budget accommodation?
Many thanks!

RE: Help! I need a place to stay Sunday 1 October 2006!

by t_maia

E-Mail: book@cvb-heidelberg.de

Travel Tips for Heidelberg

Heidelburg from above the Castle

by BLSM

This is a view of part of the Castle from above the castle looking down to the city. The Heidelberg Castle is mostly ruins but part are still in use as a weinskeller. See my Travelouges for more views of the castle and the gardens.

Heidelburg statuary

by Martin_S.

Once again get your camera ready for the steady flow of statues found all over the city.
This one looks to be David the Jewish hero with the head of Goliath, the losing giant for the Philistines.

Heidelberg

by Kentbein

The Weisser Boch Hotel. I stayed at this hotel in the Alt Stadt. Nice hotel with a first class restaurant and an interesting bar. I had a good two hour conversation with three men working for the Merck Company who were also in Heidelberg on business. One was from London, one from Wales and the other from Berlin.

I had to apologize to our friend from Berlin as there we were, in his country speaking English. He and I did speak a little in German, but my German is completely horrible and I slaughter the grammar. He was very good natured about our inability to speak German though, and we had a very nice few hours together. This was my best night in Germany.

This is my home, this is my lingo...

by JessH

Welcome to my part of Germany!

If you need help, information or directions in English it's best to approach younger people... they all speak English to various extents: some only have "highschool-English" and others speak it fluently. Strange as it may sound, it can be quite difficult to find a local when you need directions... there are usually so many visitors (especially in the old town) that I've witnessed many tourists accidentally asking fellow tourists for help: "Do you know where this street is? Sorry, I don't live here either!"

Nevertheless, any person anywhere in the world appreciates if you make an effort to approach them in their mothertonge (well, everyone except the Parisians...)

Here are some common expressions you might need
(I will write them phonetically)

"Shprechen see english?" = Do you speak English?.
"Ich bin tourist. Konnen see mir healfen?" = I'm a tourist. Can you help/assist me?
"Antsholdigong, haben see dee zeit? " (like "eye") = Excuse me, do you have the time?
"Antsholdigong, vo ist...?" = Where is ...?
"Fielen Dank" = Thank you (very much).
"Reichnong bitta" = The bill/check, please.
Heidelberg is part of "Baden Wuerttemberg" in the South-West of Germany.
As in any country, different regions speak different dialects, different slang & very different accents. A good info portal on my home-state is http://www.baden-wuerttemberg.de/en/index.html

--> Unless you speak German, you probably shouldn't even ATTEMPT to understand some of the funny dialect expressions down here in the German south. For example: there is a hotel & restaurant close to the old town bridge called "Snookeloch": Schnooke is dialect for "Muecke" which means "Mosquito / Gnat". Loch is "hole"; so it's the "Gnat's Hole Hotel"... don't ask... just click on the picture to see it... hahaha! :-)

--> The "motto" of Baden Wuerttemberg is: "Mir koenne alles, bloss koi Hochdeutsch." (We can do anything, but we can't speak "high" German)

Stairway to heaven?

by Tschuli

Of course, you can take the "Bergbahn", the funicular, up to Königsstuhl. If you are looking for a physical challenge, however, take the "Himmelsleiter" (the ladder to heaven or heaven's steps, if you will). The old sandstone steps lead from the Galerie am Schloß, (the summer house that was built for Elisabeth Emperess of Austria, better known as "Sissi") straight up the hill. I haven't been able to find out who built the stairs or why, but it must have been one hell of a task. If you can, go up in Spring. When the light filters through the first green of the trees, the heaven's steps have an uncomparably mystic air. But make sure you are wearing good walking boots or you might break your legs. Some of the steps have sunk in or tumbled down and they are often slippery.

Comments