Please avoid this hotel, it is absolutely awful - please do avoid it, don't do like me and think "It cannot be that bad?!?". It IS really bad.
- I had a rat coming up to the room from the toilet (and back in when chased)!!! This is true.
The reason is, the building is too old, the piping too, they don't have the modern systems to prevent this (intermediary valves and flaps, etc.)
- The building is awful, the interior was dusty due to ongoing works (check the other reviews, this has been going on for months, if not years!). The air was unhealthy and caused coughing
- The walls are so thin you know exactly what is going on nextdoors...
- Most people who stay at this "hotel" are immigrants overcrowding small rooms to stay somewhere at low cost
- The hotel doesn't respect health and safety regulations, e.g. for fire exits, extinguishers, etc.
- I had high voltage sockets immediately near the tap in the bathroom
- The carpet was laid on the floor, not glued, it was rolling back in corners
- Finishing of the works is decoration, yet not visible on the photos (e.g. bad painting, bare cables hanging, sockets not working, etc.)
- The shower door was broken, such that it remained open while showering
- The furniture is awful, don't trust the photos
- Let's not even mention the mattress
Forget about proximity to town center, etc. Karlsruhe is small anyway, and there are many much better hotels around. Please do trust the negative reviews - hotel to be avoided!!!
City centre hotel, easy to get to and helpful and friendly reception, a very large and comfortable room for us at a reasonable price and a decent buffet breakfast included, just what we like!
Certainly stay here again should we revisit Karlsruhe.
Directions: Tram #2 or 4 to Karlstor. Reception is next door but one to the lift up to the 4th floor hotel, easy enough though.
I booked the Hotel am Karlstor for my sister and her partner during a visit around Christmas. Hotel am Karlstor, as the name suggests, is located in Karlstor on Karlstrasse, just south of the city center and Europaplatz. The location is good for accessing the city center, and anywhere else via the close strassenbahn stop.
The hotel is quite basic, and is hidden amongst commercial businesses on Karlstrasse. As well as standard hotel rooms the hotel also has apartments for longer term visitors. Parking at the hotel can be quite difficult, there is a waiting space for one vehicle and then time restricted parking around the hotel, the hotel is supposed to have covered parking available. The reception is located in a different part of the building to the rooms, next to the restaurant.
The staff were friendly and efficient during check in. My sister was provided a room on the fourth floor which was basic, but clean and comfortable. The room was quite modern in design, and the bathroom was adequate, with a good shower. The room overlooked Karlstor, the view was quite nice, but the proximity to the busy street and trams means it can be quite noisy.
Directions: Just south of the city and Europaplatz. Easily accessible from the Karlstor strassenbahn stop. Easy to miss by car, when travelling south (out of the city) on Karlstrasse the hotel is on the right just after the Kriegstrasse junction.
This hotel is located in a good area, about 300m away from Europa platz in the central area of Karlsruhe.
The rooms are strangely located away from the reception and the door is sort of a challenge to find. As you sign up with a rather indifferent receptionist, you get the key and are given imprecise directions. The hotel also rents out "apartments", so the signboard is for these. The daily rooms have no signboard and no indication inside that it belongs to the hotel. Tax purposes, I guess.
The rooms are clean, with a small bed, a TV and a small kitchen. The utensils are very limited, so you have to adjust a bit. There is no telephone, but you can ask for a WLAN connection.
There are no lifts, so if you have lots of heavy luggage, you are in for a hard time.
Overall, a basic hotel with a decent room.
Unique Quality: Very close to the centre of Karlsruhe.
Close to the Tram station.
Has a small kitchen.
Directions: Ask for Europa Platz and take the road next to the Post Galerie. The reception is on the right side of the road and has a small board.
Festplatz 2, Karlsruhe
Douglasstrasse 7, Karlsruhe
Kriegsstr. 90, Karlsruhe
Latest Karlsruhe hotel reviews