Hotel Aviva

yumyumyumyum

Bernd_LBernd_L

Old Durlach Cemetary?

by christinemccaff

Can someone tell me if there are still the original graves at this cemetary. I am visiting for business and my great grandparents were buried there. I was told by my mother that the cemetary may not be there anymore? Then when I read the posting regarding the "old cemetary" outside the Basel Gate I wanted to know if I was able to visit my grandparents graves? I would need to come visit the cemetary early next week.

Their names are Lisette & Gustav Hummel, they had one plot, and a shared tombstone (I have an old picture).

Re: Old Durlach Cemetary?

by Kathrin_E

The old cemetery right outside Basler Tor is no more. It has been turned into a park and playground, sometimes it is used for events. There are a few historical graves left.
If you read German, check here: http://ka.stadtwiki.net/Alter_Friedhof_Durlach
Some tombstones have been transferred to the historical museum (Pfinzgaumuseum) in Karlsburg palace.

Around 1900 the new cemetery was opened which is still in operation.

Re: Old Durlach Cemetary?

by Kakapo2

Just let me add: Even on exisiting cemeteries it is not common in Germany that graves remain there forever. Resting places are only leased, and depending on the local regulations, the leases run out after about 20 years. They can be extended if relatives pay for it. There are only exceptions from the rule, like the one Kathrin gave you a link to, and for graves of historical significance, extraordinary family plots, and so on. Nothing of this applies to "normal" people's graves.

Travel Tips for Karlsruhe

Europaplatz

by irisha

Also a well-known square in Karlsruhe featuring a post office, a mainstream movie theater, stores and a travel office where you can ask for directions and information if you're confused about travelling around, they also have small maps there, maps of the entire transport system and separate train or bus routes.

Helpful links

by tini58de

When preparing a trip to Karlsruhe, the following links might be helpful:

- http://karlsruhe.city-tiger.de (German only)

- http://www.karlsruhe.de

- http://www.ka-news.de (German only)

Christmastime in Karlsruhe

by Nemorino

Photos:
1. Some Christmas lights that I actually liked
2. Natalie and Mariel at the Christmas Market
3. Isa (Belsaita) at the Christmas Market
4. Martha (nomad7890) at the Christmas Market

I'm afraid I'm something of a grouch when it comes to Christmassy stuff. This started as a fit of pubertal pique when I was about thirteen, but unlike most people I never seem to have grown out of it, in fact it keeps getting worse with each passing decade.

Nonetheless, in Karlsruhe I actually came across a set of Christmas lights that I quite liked, namely the white lights in the first photo.

The other three photos show VT members at the Karlsruhe Christmas Market (continued from the previous tip).

Kewl! Ive felt it was the same...

by Zem

Kewl! Ive felt it was the same than in Hungary. Enjoyed it. And Ive seen at the eyes: they enjoy it too. Ive sat on the table for the first sight. I was so loose as actually. I think they have gtot it all.
In the end they has bought many books and everybody has brought them to me to sign it. Ive enjoyed it so much. Some asked me to write my email addresse i ve gave it (of course).
In the end Ive had a speach to my acquaintanceship. (After that time a friend of mine came to Karlsruhe and meet to them) And talked to some Hungariands as well.

Public restrooms in advertising pillars

by Bernd_L

If you feel an urgent need for a restroom while roaming the city, don't panic. Look out for advertising pillars. Yes, it's no joke. Some of these pillars have a toilet inside.

You throw in 25 ct and the door opens. Don't worry about hygiene. These restrooms are automatically cleaned and disinfected after every use.

Comments