Hotel Classic Am Tullabad

Sweet EuroBarneySweet EuroBarney

tini58de with EuroBarneytini58de with EuroBarney

Seeking short term room or apartment - First 3 weeks of June - Karlsruhe

by breezemaster

For the first 3 weeks of June my mother will visit me for the first time from New Zealand.
She's 63 years old, very able, physically sound, and a very chirpy woman, no hassle.

But I don't think she'll be very comfortable on the couch in my shared flat here in the südstadt of Karlsruhe..!

Hotels are expensive and not pleasant for that amount of time, so I'm a bit stuck on what to look for.
In-between renters usually offer their places for 3 months +, hostels are bunks and travelers.. & there doesn't seem to be things like holiday apartments here in Karlsruhe.

So I need to find an alternative, preferably not to far away, Rüppurr would be fine also, as she would really like a bit or grass near-by.

Any ideas anyone..?

Or better yet, anyone have room to rent for such a case?

Many thanks all

by Kathrin_E

How about Ettlingen? There are quite a number of holiday apartments and private rooms on the list in the town's website: http://www.regioinfo.de/pls/rrzfr/Ri_Goodies?org=8215017&modul=U

Ettlingen is a pleasant little place and well connected to Karlsruhe by a 15 minute ride on the trams S1 and S11.

by leics

has a search engine which might throw up something suitable in Karlsruhe itself.

by chris.hh

hi, have you already checked www.wg-gesucht.de? It's mainly is a site where students let rooms within their appartements. You can post there for free. Maybe someone is interested also to let a room for some days. I know that also business people sometimes post there if they have to do work for a project somewhere else...
best chris.

by chris.hh

...another cheap option might be www.couchsurfing.com - but i do not have personal experience in this. but the idea is very intersting, i think.
chris.

Travel Tips for Karlsruhe

VT Birthplace

by Tripack

General tip? What does it mean?
Who is the general? Yes I got it... a five-star general on VT!
A Real Fondest Memory:
VT IS BORN HERE!!!

The contract to launch VirtualTourist as a company have been signed at the Hopfner brewery... now I understand my VT and beer addiction ;-)

So the show. There was a...

by Zem

So the show. There was a German actor who has read few of my German translated book. I didnt understand a word either, just saw the faces. Anyway and then I had to read some sentences in Hungarian. It was a stupid idea - bud i done it. Then Giselle, the translator has said something. Then (seeing the eyes)ive already felt: they are my crowd and there will be a great success. There was about 70 person there. Some Hungarians (live there) but many Germans! Curious ppl just came to see me. It was marvellous.
I didnt wanna speak in English so i spoke in Hungarian and Giselle has translated my words. Ive told them my things what i used to say on every ZZ TOURs but then came many questions.

Weinbrenner and the town's extension after 1800

by Kathrin_E

After Baden's rise to the rank of a Grandduchy in 1806, Grandduke Carl Friedrich intended to give his residential city a more prestigious face. His architect Friedrich Weinbrenner, the director of the state's building adminsitration, planned the new quarters South of Kaiserstraße on a regular plan and designed the new market square in classicist style. The former Lutheran parish church, which had been standing in the middle of the square, was torn down. Weinbrenner erected the new parish church with its dominating classicist porticus on the Eastern side of the square and the town hall as its opposite counterpart. The spot where the old church had been was marked by the pyramid, which serves as grave monument for the heart of the town's founder, Marggrave Carl Wilhelm. The long axis from the palace along Marktstraße, market square, Rondellplatz and Ettlinger Tor was opened as a via triumphalis.

Buildings by Friedrich Weinbrenner in Karlsruhe:
- fountain in Ludwigsplatz
- Stephanienbad

GOOD JOB TRAIN PEOPLE !

by DAO

This was almost a horror story, but thanks to the train staff I made it home. What happened? DB is the company that run the rail network around here and they sold me a ticket to go between Karlsruhe and Baden-Baden. Not only was the ticket seller extremely helpful, he sold me a 24 hour ticket and told me what train to get on. Then ext day I needed to get to Baden-Baden to fly home from the VT Meeting. I managed to get on the wrong type of train for my ticket and miss my stop at Baden-Baden. Then the Ticket Inspector shows up. He proceeds to tell me – wrong train and missed your stop. I am thinking here comes the fine. Nope, he checks the return train back (almost an hour back!) and writes an explanation on my ticket! I got on a train going the other way and the new inspector reads the ticket. No problem. I made it back with about 20 minutes to spare. Last time I got on the wrong train home in the UK it cost me a $140 surcharge!

THANK YOU DB TRAIN PEOPLE!

(Their details are on one of my Transport Tips)

KARLSRUHE PALACE (SCHLOSS)

by LoriPori

Built in 1715 as the residence of Margrave Karl Wilhelm of Baden-Durlach, the KARLSRUHE PALACE served as the seat of government of the Baden Dynasty for 200 years.
Saturday, our VT group, went on a walking tour, and the Palace was part of the tour. It was an amazingly beautiful, pastel yellow building, with botanical gardens in the rear and backing onto a large forest. The grounds were huge.

Comments