Festplatz 2, Karlsruhe, Baden-Wurttemberg, 76137, Germany

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 48% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• OK, but...

My husband attended a conference in Karlsruhe, and this was the conference hotel. As you can tell from the photos, this is a very modern hotel. The rooms were small, but clean. They are air conditioned, which is unusual for most European hotels. The receptionists were friendly and helpful. They spoke English very well. There is a business center and internet is available for a fee.

You may notice that the photo of the outside hotel was taken at night. I believe that is because the surrounding area is VERY dirty! There are little round circles of dirt (gum?) on the sidewalk everywhere ( 1" - 2" apart!) between this hotel and tourist sites, such as the schloss (castle). There is also a lot of trash on the street. Based on this, I don't believe this hotel to be located in a very good part of town. Parking is available under the hotel, but it is EXTREMELY expensive ($18 a day!?!). When I asked the receptionists for restaurant recommendations, they recommended the hotel restaurant! I was with my 2 children (ages 9 and 11), and the food was not very good for them. The lobby bathrooms stink!

Unique Quality: Modern German Hotel

Directions: near Alte Stadt

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Only the best for us

The Novotel is adjacent to the Conference centre. As such it does a roaring trade.

We stayed for three nights over the Eurommeet 2008. Just when we were checking out, who should we run into ? Only Stephanie and Gerry. Hey, whatever is good enough for them is good enough for us !

It also shows what a size the hotel is - as we hadn't crossed paths beforehand.

Completed in the normal vast range of browns and greys that these establishments tend to go in for it was an efficiently run hotel that ticked all the appropriate boxes.

You don't normally expect quirky feature in hotels like this, but I must comment on the choice of artwork that adorns the main foyer. The photo-montage seemed to show a section of scaffolding in an artist's studio with half a dead cow hanging off it. Whilt it might have more impact in real life, I failed to see how it could be called 'art'. The reception staff seemed equally baffled.

Unique Quality: The location is great, and close to a series of tramlines, that makes getting to anywhere in the central area a treat.

The hotel also featured a terrace at the front where you could take breakfast or other meals in the refreshing open air.

Look out for deals at the weekend. If there are no large conferences booked then room rates can easily go down to 79 euro per night.

• Tripack's Profile Photo

A quiet place to relax

I was looking a good value hotel to find all my high standards to have a very short sleep but a efficient one. I have experienced Novotel from the French Accor group in some place around the world several times (Hong-Kong, Sydney, Perth, London, Hurghada,...) and been never dissapointed so once again I was please of my stay in the Karlsruhe Novotel Kongress.

I got a good deal with the 40% discount offer City Break (min 2 nights). 2008 prices (breakfast included) were EUR 69 for a single or EUR 77 for a double. Not too bad from a Swiss prospect ;-).

Very central and close of everything (Zoo, Railway station, Botanical gardens, Karlsruher Schloss , shopping center...) were reachable in less 10 minutes (1km) except for lively night spots which took me more time to come back to the hotel ;-.) But just follow the tram rail and jump in the right tram (number: 2, S1, S4, S11) back to the hotel and stop Kongresszentrum.

At arrival, I got a welcome drink vouncher + 1 free drink in the mini bar. The check-in was quick and efficient. The staff is able to speak several languages (German, English, French...).
    My room has a large bathroom with music, dressing, king size bed, TV, A/C, minibar... as the usual stuff see picture to get an overview.

Hotel facilities that I use were the breakfast room with a various choice for a healthy day start and fitness center with sauna and hamman to eliminate the excess of long VT party nights ;-)

Don't forget that Novotel is family friendly by offering all year and around the world, accommodation and breakfast are free for two children under the age of 16 staying in their parents' or grandparents' room and having breakfast together.

Unique Quality:
    The little Lindt chocolate waiting for me on my pillow and the fitness area... still waiting for me ;-)

Directions: Very central and convenient location - 5 minutes on foot from Hauptbahnof (railway station) or Maketplatz. TRAM 2 S1, S4, S11 stop @ KONGRESSZENTRUM.

Comments