Boardinghouse Platanenhof

Boardinghouse Platanenhof
Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Mannheim

Friedrich List Schule, Mannheim, Germany 2010Friedrich List Schule, Mannheim, Germany 2010

#2#2

FRESH vegetables on Mannheim's farmers' marketFRESH vegetables on Mannheim's farmers' market

Mannheim fleamarketMannheim fleamarket

Is there a day return bus or train trip from Mannheim to Paris?

by Sobo

Hello, I will be travelling to Germany for the first time for a business trip in Mannheim in three days time. I'm travelling from Nigeria where I also live and work. I had only travelled to the United States and England in the past. I have two simple questions which I think members of this forum could help answer:
(1) Can I use the Single Entry Schengen visa which the German Embassy in Nigeria gave me for this trip to do bus or train travels to other Schengen countries while in Germany?
(2) If 'yes', is there a day-return bus or train trip from Mannheim to Paris, France (and return), which I can use for an opportunity to visit the City? How much would such trip cost if one is just hoping to visit Paris for a few hours and begin the return journey back to Mannheim (i.e. no accommodation)? What would be the duration of the journey (Mannheim to Paris) for both bus and train if they exist?
Thank you very much and God bless.
Sobo

Re: Is there a day return bus or train trip from Mannheim to Paris?

by Maryimelda

You need to try the eurolines website for info re buses. There is a train (ICE from Mannheim to Paris Est which has no changes and takes a little over three hours each way. Details on bahn.de website.

Re: Is there a day return bus or train trip from Mannheim to Paris?

by christine.j

With a single Schengen visa you can do a day trip from Mannheim to Paris, as you won't leave the Schengen area.
There is a direct train in the morning, leaving Mannheim at 6:40, arriving in Paris at 9:50. In the evening there is a train leaving Paris at 19:05, arriving in Mannheim at 22:16.
If you book ahead you can get a ticket for 78 Euro, the regulare fare is 182 Euro.

Travel Tips for Mannheim

International Film Festival

by chicabonita

... wow, finally I saw yesterday may first movie at this years film festival!

"Seven Days - Seven Nights" a Cuban film by Joel Cano shows the story of three different women. If you will ever have the chance to see the film do so, I can highly recommend it!

The next festival will take place
18. - 27. November 2004 www.mannheim-filmfestival.com

I guess next year it will be best to take a few days off to see some more than this year ....

Hockey (on the gras)

by tessy

Are you interested in hockey?
There is a great ice hockey team in Mannheim, but also a great field hockey team, the ladies of the TSV 1846! Great hockey, a lot of enthusiasm! In summer time, they have their matches under the TV-tower

A family quarrel??

by christine.j about Sankofa

We had read about a new African restaurant, run by a German-African couple and decided to try their lunch menu which was said to be very good.
While I was waiting outside, the African owner saw me, greeted me and told me they were open. She was very friendly.
My first impression was that of a very good restaurant. White tableclothes, real flowers, everything very clean. My second impression was somewhat different, the cutlery was laid out the wrong way and our bottles of soft drinks were just put down on the table, the caps loosened, but not poured in. Don't get me wrong, of course I'm perfectly capable of pouring my own drink, but this was more fitting for a self-service restaurant.The waiter, the German husband, managed to give us the message that he was not too happy we had come in.

When we asked about the lunch menu, he told us a cook had called in sick and his wife would be cooking, so no lunch menu. I then ordered the vegetarian cous-cous and was told this would take a very long time, since his wife was on her own.
Next attempt: We asked him what would be available and he mentioned about four dishes out of the large menu, none of them vegetarian. The meat was industrial meat, so we asked him to keep it out.
We ordered yam with spinache sauce and corn dumplings with okra. It took 40 minutes for the food to be served, and another few minutes until I got the sauce. It was brought to the table with a "Oh yes, this is also yours".
Since we had one hour for lunch, we had to eat quickly. The food was very good, spicy, but not too much. The owner is a very good cook.

Her husband was talking into his mobile the whole time we were there. No other people had come in , we were the only ones. When we left, we were at the door when he asked if we had liked the food. Again it seemed to be an afterthought. He had never smiled or even pretended to be interested, a striking contrast to the cheerful behaviour of his wife.
I got the impression that she is trying hard to run a successful restaurant, while her husband is not happy with this and is trying to prevent this by quietly sending the message to the customers they're not welcome.

I'm really not sure if I'll go back

Go and watch the galaxies

by Trekki

Mannheim’s Planetarium does have a long history. Already in 1927, it was build as one of the first ones worldwide, with seating for 514 people, a cupola of 24,5 m and a projector by Zeiss. During bombing in WWII it was destructed but rebuilt and opened again in 1984. Since 2002, it has a new high-tech projector, also of Zeiss Jena (“Universarium”), which is said to project the stars even more realistic and with immense brillance.

The Planetarium has an extensive presentation schedule (see website), not only interesting for kids ! Presentations can be booked online (out of the schedule). They include:
· Blue planet
· Star ships explore the solar system
· View into the galaxies
· Stars over Africa (Namibia and South Africa)
Each 50 – 55 minutes.

I was here very often when living in Mannheim, as they really give fantastic presentations and from the building style it is almost as if you travel in space. And even now, living 60 km north, it is a wonderful experience with the variety in presentations.

So – if you are a star lover – you should not give this a miss !!

Presentation hours:: Tuesday – Sunday: approx. 1:30 p.m. to 7.30 p.m. (see schedule on their website);
Admission fee: adults: 5,50 €, kids: 4 €.

A lion next to the watertower

by christine.j

Between the watertower and the Kunsthalle there is this statue of a lion. It's life size and simply called "Walking Lion". It's a beautiful statue, very life like, if you overlook the fact that it's slightly greenish now. It was put up by the artist Philipp Harth, in the year 1940. I'm always surprised when I come across things like that, 1940 was in the middle of World War II, but art objects were being put up.

Comments