Hotel Restaurant Kurpfalzstuben

Mannheim's exciting PlanetariumMannheim's exciting Planetarium

Mannheim chocolaterie StoffelMannheim chocolaterie Stoffel

bycicle

by giulikkk

hello, is there a place or a way to rent a bycicle while in Mannnheim for 4 days? Thank you.

Re: bycicle

by Trekki

Hi Giu,

yes, directly at the trainstation. This is the link, unfortunately only in German:
"Öffnungszeiten" in the first table means opening hours,
Preise = prices, Kalendertag = day (whole day).
Biotopia is operating this bicycle station and they should be very good and helpful. They were, when I was living there, but I saw reviews that they are still good and reliable.

hope this helps :-)
Ingrid

Travel Tips for Mannheim

Go to Luisen Park. There are...

by mrsdouglass

Go to Luisen Park. There are 2 sides to Luisen Park--one is free and it's your typical city park with a walking path, open grassy areas, shade trees and a playground, and the other costs a very small fee (I think it was DM 4 for adults and our 2 year old was free). In the pay area one can visit the aviary or take a boat ride through the park past flamingoes and giant, man-eating fish. There are restaurants, play grounds, a rose garden, and many places to relax in a chaise lounge (provided by the park) and enjoy the scenery. My favorite place within Luisen Park is a grassy area almost hidden by the trees and shrubbery. There are lounges to lie on and classical/soft instrumental music is piped in through speakers hidden in the trees.

Mannheim marathon

by tessy

In 2006 we have the third evening marathon here is Mannheim and Ludwigshafen. 8000 people will be on the start. There is not only a marathon, but as well a marathon for 2 and a marathon for 4 and one for kids and an inline skate and a wheel chair marathon. The day before you get the starter kid, your number, some noodles....
No no no, I am not so well trained that I run there. good shoes, of course, a shirt, that protects even if its wet

Cocktail bar? Restaurant?Smokers'Lounge?

by christine.j about Palms

I had heard the Palms served good food and mentioned it as a meeting place to the others in my party. Big surprise: "You want to eat in a cocktail bar?" "Are you aware of the fact that this is a smokers' lounge?" I checked their menu in the internet and it looked good, so we decided to meet there on a Saturday evening.
When we arrived I realized that I should have reserved, even though we were just four people, the non-smoking room was packed and every free table had a sign saying "reserved". The waitress asked us if we wanted a table outside and we agreed. The restaurant is in a passage between two shopping streets, so it was not really outside, but still a bit windy occassionally.
We then found out that the Palm is all three, a restaurant , a cocktail bar and it also has a large smokers' lounge. The food we had was excellent. We had ordered Flammkuchen, a sort of pizza with very thin dough and various toppings. I had the Norwegian one,lots of salmon and cream. Very good!
The service was fast and friendly and it's not expensive at all.
I will certainly be back.

Feldmeldeturm

by bonio

For marvellous views over the city and the Neckar River pay a visit to the tv tower. Costs €3.50 to use the lift to the top but just about worth it, wish we chose a clear day to go though.......Skyline restaurant there too, just had breakfast so didn't visit, can imagine the views are great at night.

Zeughaus Museum

by christine.j

In January the Zeughaus Museum was opened. There had been plans to simply tear down this old building, but some private sponsors started a fund raising campaign and raised so much money, that we now have a wonderful new museum in a beautiful old building.
If you really want to see everything in there, you'll need one day. There are exhibitions about how Mannheim grew into the city it is now, about the theatre of Mannheim, there are historical music instruments, old and new fashion is shown, a fotographical exhibition is presented and much more!
Soemone there has a sense of humour, in between the display of the fashionable dresses you can see plastic animals to show how vain some dresses appear.
One of my favourite parts is the harbour scene. You can sit on a high chair in one of the harbour pubs and read the leaflets about emigrating to the US. In your back there are barrels, containing goods which used to be brought from the ships there. There are openings on these barrels for you to smell these goods, some nice - like chocolate, some not so nice, like tar.
This museum is absolutely worth a visit!
Entrance is really inexpensive, 2,50 Euro for adults, 1,50 Euro for children, unless there are special exhibitions.

Comments