Nh Ottheinrich Weinheim

At Wachenburg castleAt Wachenburg castle

Travel Tips for Weinheim

Polterabend

by keida84

A Polterabend means, "Noisy or loud party" and that is exactly what happened at a "Polterabend" for our bride and groom.

The people brought all sorts of crockery to throw on the ground. The shards represent the luck the bride and groom will share. The bride and groom must also sweep and pick up the broken crockery together. This symbolizes the work that they will share as partners.

At the Polterabend I attended people brought a toilet, a sink stand and a sink basin to throw for the bride and groom. What a pile of luck they had when the party goers were through throwing the crockery!

At the "Polterabend" there is a great deal of food (usually brought pot luck style), lots and lots of beer (bier), much singing and socializing. A money box is set up and people put in various amounts of money for the bride and groom. Most of these parties last well into the wee hours of the morning.

Wedding Wishes Fall From The Sky

by keida84

We were given a postcard that had the bride & groom's address on it. We were to fill out what kind of favor or small token we would bestow upon them. Then we tied these postcard to luft balloons and the bride and groom cut the strings at they floated away into the sky.

Hopefully someone will find the message and mail it as the card indicates. If the card you filled out is received by the bride and groom then you are beholden to render the small gift, token or service you wrote about on the card. Let's say, you promised to house sit and take care of the cat the next time they went away.

I wonder how many people will take the time to mail the card? It seems like such a neat idea!

A Stirring Memorial

by keida84

In downtown Weinheim stands a memorial to the fallen soldiers from the town of Weinheim. The memorial denotes both World War I and World War II.

I must admit being from America, I was quite startled by the sight of these large, imposing figures but as I continued to look at them I realised these men were people too, they had families that loved and grieved over them. I put aside all feelings about the world wars and read their names with tears in my eyes as these men never got the chance to live their lives out.

This is a good place to visit and to pick up a copy of the book, "Die Stadt Weinheim Zwischen 1933 und 1945" which gives a great deal of detail of the Weinheim area during the time of Hiltler's regieme.

Weinheim: My First VT Meeting

by Russell_the_Wombat

Now I'm not a VT newbie any more! Yesterday I went to my first VT meeting!

The meeting took place in the pretty little town of Weinheim and involved
- my first ride on an InterCity train
- VT members Trekki, christine.j, Nobby and Luciano (VT member Norbaert), little Koala, Mommy and me
- seeing the old town, the palace and beautiful gardens
- icecream
- some salad and antipasti, wine and coffee
- lotos of photos being taken
- a brilliant and hot summer's day
- myself smelling of grass, dust and fresh summer air afterwards

If you want to know more about the town and its treasures, check out christine.j's Weinheim page.

"Castles Wachenburg and Windeck"

Since Mommy needed photos of the two castles above Weinheim as well as the palace in town, we went a couple of hours earlier and hiked up he hills. Mommy understood that the hills were too steep and the walks were too long for my little legs and carried me up and down in her pouch, erm backpack. She was quite exhausted afterwards.

In my photo travelogue you'll see that I climbed the highest tower!

"The Parks of Weinheim"

Here we are resting among flowers and yummy grass in a lovely garden.

Some more pictures of the meeting are to be found in my travelogue page.

Out and About in Weinheim

by keida84

"Stairway through a Garden"

Weinheim is a town that requires a good deal of walking and hiking up hills and slopes. Ni wonder the Germans can eat and drink and remain fit!

I can't help but wonder, how do they manage all of that in the winter time?

"The grapevines"

Many people have gardens they tend to. Grapes, tomatoes, zucchini, fruit trees are just a few things people like to grow.

"Oh And Roses......They Like To Grow Roses"

"Bier and Quesadillas........."

Mexican food is becoming a popular thing in Germany. We went for dinner to a very traditional German restaurant and lo and behold was some Mexican food choices. I love how the German pronounce "Quesadillas". They must love how I pronounce anything in German!!

Let's suffice to say, German cooks need to learn a little bit about the spices used in Mexican cooking. And we will suffic to say that American bier does not come close to winning any prizes.

Comments