Nh Weinheim Ottheinrich

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Weinheim

christine.jchristine.j

Luciano, Nobby, TrekkiLuciano, Nobby, Trekki

Ice coffee, Nobby, Luciano, Koala, me, icecreamIce coffee, Nobby, Luciano, Koala, me, icecream

View of Weinheim from Windeck castleView of Weinheim from Windeck castle

Travel Tips for Weinheim

A Custom To Help One Start Off A New School Year

by keida84

I saw these cones while shopping one day. Bright and multi-colored, in varied sizes and some even are emblazoned with Barbie and her friends,and of course, my favorite, the fire fighter cone.

I asked my niece what are these for? She told me that they were "Schueltueten" or "Candy Cones". These cones are given on the first day of school (not only for the small children but now given to anyone who is embarking on their first day of school).

It was the custom to have the parents and the Godparents of the child present as he or she marked their first day of school. The cones were filled with candy, school supplies and cash (the paper kind, not coin).

When I asked my family and frineds if they had ever received ine, they all responded favorably and showed me pictures of them on their first day of school with their "Schueltuetens".

I think it is a charming custom and I wish we had them when I was growing up!!

So Long Farwell Aufweidsein Good Bye!

by keida84

I don't know if this is custom to all folks who live in Germany but in Weimheim and the surrounding areas whever we departed from friends or even a friendly shop clerk we were regaled by the word, " Tschuess" I am not sure how to spell it really, but I loved hearing it said when people parted company.

Tschuess!

The Old Schoolhouse

by christine.j

Near the Rodenstein Fountain there is the old schoolhouse of Weinheim. Just an average looking house, nothing special, but the a small devil is looking above the wall of the old schoolyard. Now I'm wondering:
Wre the kids back then ( 18th century) like devils when they went to school? Surely not. Or were the kids supposed to think their teachers were devils? I hope not. Or was is just another protection, let the evil spirits think this place has already been occupied by one of their kind. So no other evil spirits should come and enter the school?
That seems to be the most likely explanation.

Weinheim: Small,Two castles and Good Food

by christine.j

"Weinheim in January 2010"

We've had lots of snow this year, much more than usually. The children love it and the castle garden is just the right place to go sledding.

The name Weinheim could mean
home of the crying
or
home of the wine. I know which I would prefer!
But actually it's from one of the founders' name, he was called Vino -
something to do with wine after all.

Today Weinheim is a nice little town close to Mannheim and Heidelberg, situated beneath two castles.
One of them is the real one, built in 1100 and now a ruin.
The other one was built by the fraternities of Germany about 100 years ago, still belongs to them, but can be rented for weddings.

In both castles there is a good restaurant and the view is just great, down to Weinheim and across the Rhine valley.

Update June 2008:
I've added one tip only,in the off the beaten path section a tip about the mausoleum.

"The Tanners' Quarter in Weinheim"

Weinheim is situated on a hill, on the top you see the castles and on the bottom of the hill is where the workers used to live. The main line of work in Weinheim in the 16th and 17th century was tanning, making leather from the skins of the deer living in the woods around.
Of course, for this line of work you needed lots of water, so the workers' quarter was built along a little creek, the Gerberbach - tanners' creek.
Even though, it must have been quite smelly.

"Summer in the castle gardens"

Summer is the best time to stroll through the gardens, when the flowers are in full bloom . In the back you can see the old ruin, Windeck Castle, the "modern" castle Wachenburg and inside the gardens at the playground there is the old watch-and prison tower the Blue Hat.

Here Comes The Bride.......

"2 Juli 2005"

Our niece, Frani married her long time boyfriend, Hansi on July 2, 2005 in Weinheim, Germany.

I had told Frani and Hansi years ago, if they ever got married, well then I would come to Germany for the wedding. Well they took their sweet time about it but finally took the plunge.

Unlike me, Frani does not like a lot of fuss or bother, and *gasp* not too much make up!!! Okay, we will find a compromise, I am sure. Afterall, I am the one doing her bridal make up!

"Get her dressed, give her champagne and....."

Frani chose a simple A lined gown with a very sexy strap configuration on the back side of the dress. It had bugle beads and sequins on a matte chiffon over satin lining.

Frani was upset about the rain but we did our famous "stop the rain" dance and I promised her once she got to the church there will be sun! (Wow was I ever putting myself on the line with that remark!) So, it was off to the church and....

"and the clouds parted......."

Just as Frani's car reached the Council Building the sun came out from behind the clouds! *Whew* got out of that one!!

Frani and Hansi got married by a magistrate in the City Coucil Building. My brother in law, Tim gave her away as Frani's father, died 20 years ago. I know it was meaningful for Tim to step in and escort the bride to her groom.

"Married in the Town Council Chambers"

What a beautiful location, both indoors and out! And as the entire wedding was held in German, I did not understand much but marveled at how beautiful the marriage ceremony sounded spoken in German.

"Mr and Mrs Stoledt"

Herr and Frau Stoledt

"The Getaway Car"

Hahahahahaha, if you look closely this is a picture of Carolina and Frani arriving to the church, but I used it to depict Frani and Hansi's departure to the reception.
Sssssh don't tell, ok?

"Party On"

German weddings differ from their American counterparts on several things...one is that the party can last well into the wee hours of the morning. Frani & Hansi left at 4:30am! Good grief!!

They also serve the cake during the Tea Time Hour before dinner.
I thought it strange but hey who am I to complain about cake before dinner?

"The Reception Site"

The reception was held at "Fuchs'sche Muehle" in Weinheim. A lovely hotel and restaurant. The Chef invitied by brother in law, Tim to tour his kitchen (Tim is a chef here in California). The food and service were absolutely superb!

Comments