Arcotel Velvet

Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

central and stylish

When we are only visiting a city for a couple of days I am always keen to stay somewhere very central, close to restaurants and a walk or short bus/train/tram ride to all the major attractions. Hence when I came across Arcotel Velvet I knew it was the perfect place for us.

Arcotel Velvet was also ideal for us as it is a 'design hotel', and we like staying in modern stylish places - when we can afford it! This hotel, in the heart of the Mitte district, was within our budget for the trip, so we stayed here for our 2 nights in Berlin and loved it.

The hotel staff were friendly and the common areas well presented. There is a cool looking bar on one side of the reception area, and a nice restaurant on the other, which doubles as the breakfast room. Breakfast was included in our room rate and was pretty good - a buffet with a decent selection.

Unique Quality: Our room was very nice and had an interesting design. The bathroom was kind of 'open-plan' (except for a separate toilet) and was separated from the room by a billowing chiffon curtain. The large bed was very comfortable and there was a wall mounted TV, desk, minibar & safe.

We had a view out onto Oranienburger Strasse, and with the windows shut it wasn't noisy. The hotel looks really interesting from the outside, with its façade of glass cubes and red & white curtains.

Oh, and a word of warning if you stay here. Don't stand naked looking out the window of your room if you overlook the street….people can see you!

In May 2006 out room cost 80 pounds per night, including a buffet breakfast.

Directions: Nearest Subway: Oranienburger Tor (U6) or Oranienburger Str (S1 or S2)

More about Arcotel Velvet

Best martini in town

by sue_stone about Velvet Lounge

The Velvet lounge is a small stylish cocktail bar connected to the Arcotel Velvet Hotel in the Mitte district. We stayed in the hotel and were keen to try out the bar as it looked really nice.

One evening before dinner we stopped by to sample some of their cocktails. The bar man was incredibly friendly and service was with a smile, though he did give me a lecture at one stage!

Alex had possibly the best martini he has ever had….and he has had a few over the years. I had a vodka and lime concoction which was also good.

The comfy leather seats were a great place to relax and chat about the days events. If we didn't already have dinner reservations that night I think we would have stayed and just had martini's for dinner....is that wrong?! No official dresscode, but smart casual or better

This works!

by TripAdvisor Member mandub8

Just back from a 2 night stay at the Arcotel Velvet in Mitte, Berlin. As boutique hotels go this is better than the average. The room is a decent size and the full length window to the street is a real feature. The shower is excellent and it's amazing how quickly one gets use to the gauze curtain screening the bathroom area from the bedroom.
The bar is small - but works, didn't use the restaurant as there are 100's of places just around the corner. The staff were helpful (if a little dour) and all in all it's an ok place to stay. The quibble be on storage and lighting - there's no where to store folded clothes and only a couple of hangers ans the lighting the bedroom was pretty pocketed.
Still for the money a good value place to stay.

Very Pleased With My Stay!

by TripAdvisor Member ramchalice

Just returned from three nights at the Arcotel Velvet. On my previous visit to Berlin I had stayed in the West, off Kudamn. I much preferred staying in the East. The A.V. is very well located between an S-Bahn and a U-Bahn Station (only a few hundred feet) so travel anywhere is easy. Bought a three day pass for all public transportation for only 22 Euros. The A.V. is modern, clean and efficient. I had a back room so didn't have the large exposed windows and my bathroom was traditional and self-contained. Decor was attractive and modern. DVD/CD player was handy. Service was polite and efficient. Didn't take the breakfast as it seemed a little expensive for a buffet. Very close to a McDonald's, a Kemp's (a German chain serving pastries and sandwiches) and many restaurants (particularly Thai). Overall very pleased and would stay again.

What a Special Place to Stay

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Arcotel Velvet. We travelled with Easyjet to Shonefeld airport. We got a taxi to the hotel, which cost about 30 euros. We had booked 2 rooms with Lastminute but on arrival they had only booked us one room. No problem for the friendly hotel staff, they just gave us another room. Both of our rooms were front facing and what an impact they had. One entire wall is just glass.(Unnerving if you have a fear of heights!) The rooms were spotlessly clean. The bed is one of the most comfortable that I have ever slept in. We had fresh towels every day and the free toiletries were really nice. I spent my 40th birthday there and on arriving back to our room at the end of an exhausting day of walking, there was a card and a free CD off the management. That was really thoughful and special.
Breakfast was included in our price and it was lovely.
It was buffet style and had everything including bacon and scrambled eggs.

The hotel was situated on a fantastic road. Loads of bars and restaurants. It was very close to The U Bahn and the S Bahn. We discovered the underground on the second day. Well worth making use of.

All in all we had a great stay at the Arcotel Velvet and in Berlin. The hotel is well situated for all the central attractions. All of us would advise anyone to stay here.

Junior Suite

by TripAdvisor Member Whirlwind_Girl

I would like to move in indefinitely to the Junior Suite of the Arcotel Velvet Hotel. I stayed there in August 2005. The slanted floor to ceiling windows overlook one of the trendiest neighborhoods in Berlin. There are comfortable black leather seats in the sitting area and a luxurious bed and cedar closets in the sleeping area of the suite.
Next door to the hotel, you will find an edgy art and performance space, Tacheles. The buildings were targeted for demolition, but squatters took over. Now there are numerous studios, graffitti covered stairwells, and an outdoor night club with a bonfire. Directly across the street, there is an excellent Singaporan restaurant. I ate there twice. Sit outside under the extraordinarily powerful heatlamps and order something with mango. The historic Neue Synagogue is also close by. If you are taking a taxi cab from anywhere back to the hotel, point to Tacheles on a map. The drivers I met had not yet heard of the brand new Arcotel, but they all knew of Tacheles.
There is free Internet access in the hotel lobby bar. My only criticism is that there appeared to be few hotel employees (my room was not made up on Sunday until after 3 p.m. and I was on my own to figure out how to open and close the high tech windows ... uh, duh, by switches on the wall!).
At 120 Euros per night, my Junior Suite was an amazing value. I cannot wait to return!

Best Boutique Hotel Room Yet

Loved the Arcotel Velvet, What an amazing room for a great price, great location with nice helpful staff. Stayed there for three nights in beginning of October, on a short tourist trip to see Berlin. I reccomend everyone stay there who want to stay in the coolest hotel in Berlin. The room was a deluxe twin decked out in very modern comfortable desinger furniture with a complete glass ceiling to floor window that looks over the Mitte area of Berlin. The Tv was flat screen with dvd player that had great sound,the view from the bed couldnt have been any better. The bed was very comfortable and great light controls from the bed unit. The bathroom is only separted by a curtain, with a huge cosy bath great for two people with a perfect huge sink, and a heat lamp light. Everthing very new and clean. The bar has very relaxed martini atmoshere with a brillaint visual show projected on a wall, and free internet. The staff were very gracious and helpful. Best area for 24 hour party people to stay as its in a cool happening district next to the famous tacheles. Hope to stay there again when we are next in Berlin.

Excellent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Bally

I have just returned from a three night stay at the Arcotel Velvet, and can honestly say that this is the best hotel I and my friends have stayed in.
The hotel is excellently situated in Mitte, with the tram stop opposite and the U bahn a two minute walk away.
Across the road from the hotel are numerous bars and restaurants that cater for everybody and they are all reasonably priced. Would recommend the Singapore restaurant directly facing the hotel and also the Berlini bar about two minutes further down the road. The hotel bar is also great for a relaxing drink.

The hotel itself is of a high standard, we stayed in rooms facing the street on the fourth floor and the huge windows give you a great view of the city. The rooms have plasma screen tv and dvd and we were able to watch the television from the huge comfy beds. The bathroom is unique and the warm lamp creates an interesting red glow to the room.

The hotel receptionnist were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them. I would recommend booking directly though the hotels own web site as we got the best deal here.

Not really satisfying experience!!

by TripAdvisor Member EasternEuropeLover

I stayed at the Arcotel Velvet for 3 nights in december 2004. Unfortunately I cannot agree with most posts here as I disliked the hotel.
We decided between the Westin and the Arcotel and chose the Arcotel because some friends who stayed there a month earlier highly recommended it. After having seen the Westin with its stunning Atrium I really regretted my decision.
The Hotel is in rather a bad location compared to the international chain hotels where I usually stay. It takes some time to walk to the main sights and the surroundings look shabby. The lobby is ridiculously small such as the restaurant. Breakfast was on a 3 star hotel standart. The worst, though, were the rooms: my room had a view to the street from where anybody can watch you due to enormous windows. My friends had more luck: they could enjoy a small and extremly ugly courtyard from their windows. I was extremly bothered by the fact that the bathroom is not seperated from the rest of the room. In addition, it was freezingly cold in there. I cannot complain about the functionality of the rooms as everything one would need (mini-bar, television) was in there.
Staff was friendly and helpful, though.
I am already planning my next trip to Berlin and guess where I will stay: in the Westin.
Not really sattisfying expirience in the Arcotel.

Great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member gazzerooni

I am just back from Berlin after a three day stay. I chose the Arcotel based on the price and the general reviews here. I have to say I was very happy that I did so...
The hotel is very centrally located at the top of Oranienburger Strasse in the heart of Mitte. We were less than 15 minutes from the Brandenburg Gate and the Reichstag. Also nearby were Friederich Strasse for shopping as well as the fabulous Museum Island for culture.
There is a branch of Lutter and Wagner attached to the hotel which serves a great buffet breakfast for €12.50. This was a great deal as you could eat all you wanted and be stocked up for the day.
The room was very clean and bright. We had to take a back room looking over the courtyard as all the front rooms are doubles.The view is better at the front but the courtyard did us fine. The shower was so strong I took two showers every day. We didnt spend much time in our rooms but were very happy with the standard of it.
The reception staff were all very helpful and were able to direct us to wherever we wanted to go. the hotel bar is situated at the front of the hotel and does great cocktails. It also has two free internet access points which were handy for checking emails on hols.
I have been to Berlin before but always have stayed int he West. I would recommend this area as there is so much on its doorstep. There are tons of bars and restaurants on the street as well as in the area. Its easy to walk about but the U bahn stop is literally on the corner. The tram stops outside if you need it too!
If you are looking for a luxury hotel where you can be pampered then this is probably not the place for you. However if you are looking for a great value hotel that is central and accesible this is definitely wher you want to stay!!!

Comments