Kurfuerstendamm 53, Berlin, 10707, Germany
Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

More about Askanischer Hof

Soviet soldier on top of the mausoleumSoviet soldier on top of the mausoleum

2. Statue in the palace garden2. Statue in the palace garden

Karl Marx AlleeKarl Marx Allee

source http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h1758.htmlsource http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h1758.html

Hotel around Charlottenburg, not too modern

by Rachel972

We plan to be in Berlin for one week in April. I'm looking for a 3* hotel near the Kurfuerstendam but not right on it because of traffic noise. We want to take an afternoon nap and then go around without stumbling into unpleasant company. I read some Tripadvisor reviews and looked up the hotels that our travel agency recommends. All the pictures show very modern and sterile looking rooms (showing the cleanliness). I think that it won't be pleasant for a whole week. Are there some more old fashioned nice hotels in the area, to give us a more local Berlin atmosphere? We will use public transportation.

I also read in the reviews that there's a problem of getting rooms with cigarette smoke.
I speak fluent German, no need for English speaking staff.

by Kakapo2

Please have a look at this website:

You can type in your desired location. My search did not only bring up those sterile hotels.

BTW I do not find Kurfürstendamm overly noisy. I have stayed in Uhlandstraße several times, this was good.

Regarding cigarette stink in the rooms:
Make clear in your booking that you absolutely want a non-smoking room, or you could easily get one. I have changed rooms several times due to this stink in the room.

by Turtleshell

How about Hotel Augusta (Fasanenstraße)?

by Rachel972

Thanks for both good tips. I wrote that I speak German, but I'm using the internet so much in English that I completely forgot to search in German. I'll do that.

by Manara

I know a hotel that may suit you, but only if there are no fairs or conventions at the ICC and Berlin Messe. In fact this hotel is just half a km from these places, and its prices go down to 1/3 of the rack rate when there is no event.

In the tip I have posted, about this hotel, I wrote: "Almost all the rooms face the lake Lietzensee and its park. The restaurant has also a large terrace by the lake, which is very pleasant in the good season. Retiring here after the hustle and bustle of a busy day is great. In addition, the Charlottenburg palace is just a 10 minutes' walk from the hotel."

Website: www.hotel-seehof-berlin.de

by 123a123a123a

I think that you are looking for a hotel like Mark Hotel 3*.It's very close to Kurfuerstendam.

by Turtleshell

Berlin Mark Hotel, while quite solid, is only so-so I have been told.

Perhaps, Rachel, you should overcome your fear for noise at Kurfuerstendam and book at Hotel Askanischer Hof.

Does it really have to be the area around Kurfürstendamm?

by kimayer

-->Heaven on earth! So nice, beautiful an charming!

Travel Tips for Berlin

Humboldt University

by bugulma

The building was built by architect Boumann in 1748-1753 for the Heinrich, the brother of Fridrich the Great. In 1809 Fridrich Wilhelm III gave the building to the possession of the university that was opened by Wilhelm von Humboldt. Till 1945 the university has name of Fridrich Wilhelm. There are a lot of symbols that 27 laureates of Nobel Prize taught in the university.

Poverty and beggars

by matcrazy1

Excuse, it's rather not a local Berlin custom, maybe rather off the beaten path. Oh, not at all, I met that man on my picture sitting on the walkway at the main shopping boulevard of Berlin - Kurfürstendamm, that was surely on the beaten path. I didn't see any visable signs of poverty and any beggars in Berlin except just that one.
The beggar had small plastic box for money with a small piece of paper where "Fur Essen bitte" (for food, please) was written.

Rathaus Schöneberg

by barryg23

Rathaus Schöneberg is the place where a former US president called himself a donut!

On his visit to the city in 1963, President John F Kennedy, in a famous speech, said "Ich bin ein Berliner". This sounds reasonable to me, but what he really wanted to say was "Ich bin Berliner".

Nevertheless he was extremely popular with the people of West Berlin and the square outside the Rathaus was renamed John-F.-Kennedy-Platz after his visit.

Rathaus Schöneberg was the city hall for west Berlin while the city was divided but since reunification it has resumed its former role as city hall for the Schöneberg district.

Antiques

by matcrazy1 about Bergmann

It was an antique shop full of messed up various antiques. Most goods looked neither pretty nor very old but try your luck personally if you want and like antiques. There were furnitures, silver, jewellery, china. lamps and clocks sold there. To be honest I didn't find anything interesting there. Prices were not at all fixed up. Try to make a good deal. Some stuff was on sale up to 50% off.

S and U Bahns

by Cham

The transport system in Berlin is unbelievable... the trains are never late, they're kept clean, and only once did experience overcrowding... much to the amusement of my friends at the time... not so much to the amusement of the large German guy standing in front of me.

But really get yourself a map and explore the city by the S and U bahns (map on link below)

Comments