DEFUNCT Jugendgaestehaus der Schreberjugend

Franz Kunstler Strasse 10, Berlin, 10969, Germany

• Green environment in center of the city

You will like this house if you are a nature fan - it is not so easy to find a hotel in Berlin which has green area around. This place is behind the Jewish museum, about 500m from Checkpoint Charlie. My room overlooked the "Freie Waldorfschule Kreuzberg", and a grass area for sheep, horses and geese - really nice. Just the room was very basic - two solid beds, a solid wardrobe, a solid table with two solid chairs and a 30*20cm size mirror on the wall. WC and bathroom/shower on the floor. All very clean, furniture made of wood and in good shape, room walls fresh painted, heating working very well, large room size, but really basic. But very good price and good breakfast buffet. The house is more designed like a basic youth hostel for youth groups. But it has the unbeatable advantage of sitting in a green island away from noisy streets in the center of Berlin. No Wifi - only quite a stupid internet terminal available (BTW in winter 2009 even in the internet shops nearby no possibility to connect own laptop - the people seem to be a bit overanxious concerning hackers there). I was there allone in the two-bed room - as I see it it seems to be separated for men and women (on my floor only men's washroom). You get your own key for room + house, so you can come home as you want (10 EUR key deposit). If the house is full with youth groups, it might get a bit loud, but I was there quite alone. In the Jewish museum there is a very good restaurant (no need to buy museum ticket).

Unique Quality: Green island near the city. Very good prices. Clean. Near Jewish museum / checkpoint charlie.

Directions: U-Bahn Hallesches Tor or Moritzplatz or Kochstrasse

• Marie-Claude's Profile Photo

Cheapest hotel in Berlin and not far from downtown

This is a calm place to sleep. I liked it a lot.. It is cheap and quite comfortable. the food is great too. It is not far from the city. 10 min by foot from the U-Bahn station. 2 min form the Jewish museum. A nice address to keep in mind!

Unique Quality: It is a Youngs hotel without any association card. The price is good and the service is good too. Breakfast very good and fresh, all you can eat. The rooms are clean, by 2 or 3. The washrooms and showers are at the floor. very clean too. You can leave your precious things at the desk during the day when you visit. very safe.

Directions: 10969 Berlin-Kreuzberg 10 min walk from Hallesches Tor U-Bahn (subway station).

More about Berlin

mermaidsmermaids

Subway at district WilmersdorfSubway at district Wilmersdorf

Golden Deer FountainGolden Deer Fountain

A painting of Brezhnev and Honecker kissingA painting of Brezhnev and Honecker kissing

Berlin to Szczecin

by Archway

Hi. I'll be in Berlin for 4 days and are planning one or two day trips. I would be interested to visit Szczecin in Poland. I have the following questions:

- I think I read that it is possible to use the local transport (S, U Bahn or overland train?) to get there. What type of ticket do I need to get to Szczecin and back? I will have a Berlin Card which allows for travel on the local transport between zones 1 - 3 (ABC I think).
- I understand you have to change somewhere along the way and that there might be a long wait. Does anyone have more info on this? Where do I need to change and how long is the wait?

(I'll do some more research on it and hopefully I'll find some answers. I shall try www.bahn.de)

Many thanks

by Turtleshell

Regional trains serve Berlin - Szczecin, not the U-Bahn (subway) or S-Bahn.

If you are really going to purchase the Berlin Card for all three tariff zones (I doubt, the C zone will be necessary), you could ask if you can hop on the train at Central Station (Hauptbahnhof), and purchase a ticket from say Oranienburg on. But I doubt it will work, as I don't believe the train stops at Oranienburg.

You'll likely have to change trains once (probably in Angerm√ľnde), but you could simply ask the lady/clerk to print your travel itinerary. It will list all arrival/departure-times, platforms and train numbers.

by abalada

With just 4 days in Berlin I would not do any trips further than Potsdam (in zone Berlin C).

To Stettin/Szczecin you can use the Berlin-Brandenburg-Ticket. EUR 26,00 for 1-5 persons.

Direct trains you can use with this ticket.
Berlin Hbf (tief) dep 07:59
Szczecin Glowny arr 10:10

Szczecin Glowny dep 20:09
Berlin Hbf (tief) 22:06

Return you can use any other connection. Outwards the Berlin-Brandenburg-Ticket (BBT) is only valid on weekdays before 9am for the listed 07:59 train.
The Berlin-Brandenburg-Ticket covers in Stettin/Szczecin and in Berlin all local public transport (trams, buses).
Here however the restrictions of past 9am on weekdays applies (nor restriction on Sa or Su - here it is valid from midnight on). Thus will you can use the 07:59 train to Stettin/Szczecin also an a weekday (special rule) with the BBT, you cannot use it to reach Berlin Hbf in first place on a weekday that early in the morning.

by Carmela71

bookmark as I was looking for optional visits for my Berlin visit

Travel Tips for Berlin

Brandenburg Gate

by Mandy23

It was built 1788-91 and the Victoria with Quadriga was added in 1794.
After two years under wraps, the restored Brandenburg Gate was unveiled Oct. 3, 2002 in celebration of German Unity Day.

Right now they have this big soccer ball in front of the gate, a project that has to do with the Soccer WC in 2006. Nearby you can also visit the circle of Buddy Bears.

Address:
Pariser Platz
10117 Berlin (Mitte)
S-Bahn: "Unter den Linden" S1, 2, 25
Bus: 100, 200, 248, 257, 348 photo:
I cant win :P Once again I was attacked while someone took a photo of us. Nah, just kidding. I was teasing him some minutes before that and he took revenge right away *g*

Good and very kind drivers :-)

by matcrazy1

I had to drive around Berlin on Sunday before leaving the city. The traffic was not heavy, rather medium on main city streets. I got to Neue Nationalgalierie first, then to Brandenburg Gate (Unter den Linden) and to Kreuzberg district at the end.

Local drivers were always very kind and gave me the way whenever I wanted to change my lane. They drive slowly, carefully, and quietly. They park their cars in single file fashion along the streets. This is nothing like the way drive in Paris. If only people in many other cities would drive this way! One more reason not to be afraid to get to Berlin by car.

I visited the Berlin...

by CarolynShort

I visited the Berlin Aqaurium.. near the Zoo..it was quite expensive to get in (~30DM), but it was a good way to spend a quiet afternoon (especially if it's raining - which it wasn't when I was there!)

Charlottenburg

by berlingirl84 about Out of India

Bollywood-style, living accessories and fashion.
Out of India carries you away into a clourful and exotic world. They offer fabrics in changing patterns and colour combinations, also in a modern cut design.

Welcome card

by Hantsu

A welcome card is a must if you want to travel around in Berlin. It's good for subway, buses and every other public transport. We took 3 day welcome card and it cost 21 euros. You get also discount in museums, zoo and other tourist attractions with the card.

Comments