Hotel Gotland

Hotel Gotland
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Berlin

The East German Checkpoint During The Wall EraThe East German Checkpoint During The Wall Era

3. Woman cycling on a red stripe3. Woman cycling on a red stripe

Zeus Altar, Pergamon Museum, BerlinZeus Altar, Pergamon Museum, Berlin

Eighty-eight gunEighty-eight gun

Does it exist?

Hi!
We are going to Berlin on Tuesday and will stay there untill Saturday. My husband has heard (I´m not sure from whom) that there is a restaurant in Berlin where you pay for the food as much as you think it worth. Have anyone heard about such place? Does it really exist? And in this case, where is it located?
/Koshka_ru

by hawkhead

Good old Google!!

by Turtleshell

And another link:

The idea will only survive as long as most people are honest, so please don't cheat on them.

by Koshka_ru

Not at all, we are not going to cheat - it is just an interesting idea. But I didn´t find any names for the restaurant on those links:-( Did I look wrong?

by hawkhead

try googling "weinerei berlin"

by Koshka_ru

Thanks for the help! I think, I found now. I first thought that it was only wine they had.

Travel Tips for Berlin

Berlin Tip

by bdschobel

I was really lucky to be able to see Berlin in November 1989, just a few days after the Berlin Wall fell. I was working in Frankfurt and waited for hours at the airport for a standby plane ticket. You just couldn't buy a seat! When I arrived, I saw people streaming through the scattered gaps in the Wall, crying. It was very emotional. When I tried to walk through one of the gaps, I was stopped by the police, who said, 'Germans only.' (How did they know I wasn't German? It's a continuing mystery to me.) I had to go through Checkpoint Charlie (now removed), buy some East German currency (which I kept) and cross over that way. I had a great dinner in East Berlin, then returned to the western side. I borrowed a hammer and chisel to chip off some pieces of the Wall as souvenirs. It was tough work! Those Germans build things to last!!! That night, I returned to the airport to stand by for a flight to Frankfurt. I got out the next morning. That's a trip I'll never forget!

Gendarmenmarkt - Schauspielhaus

by Audrey118

The Playhouse in Gendarmenmarkt was
built in 1821 the famous architect Schinkel, who also designed the reconstruction of the Berliner Dom

The Konzerthaus was built on the ruins of the National Theater, which was destroyed by fire in 1817. Schinkel reused the columns and some outside walls from this 1802 building.

The Konzerthaus was severely damaged during WWII and the reconstruction finished in 1984.

Berlin Rotes Maennchen (Berlin Stoping Man)

by heitzenrater

While on a walking tour keep an eye out at crosswalks. You may find figures which are unique to East Berlin (and East Germany in general) and have become so popular that they are showing up now on t-shirts and souvenirs. While in West Berlin you will not see these types of cross walk figures. Only the traditional ones are found there. If you would like one below is a website site to souvenirs a shirt with one of these little walking people. Personally i think they are a little tacky.

Well keep an eye out and enjoy.

IF YOU LIKE MY POST PLEASE GIVE POSITIVE FEEDBACK, THANKS

Like in Amsterdam

by matcrazy1

Before leaving Berlin I stopped at district of Kreuzberg (again) and took a walk along northern bank (Frankentaler Ufer) of a main canal of Berlin called the Landwehrkanal. Its banks with metal fences, walking pathways and old 4-5 floor old buildings remained me Amsterdam. Hmm... not at all - there was no traffic on the water.

An "Ostalgic" bar

by sabsi about Gaststätte W. Prassnik

This place keeps up the East Germany charm with an unfriendly waitress, ugly wallpaper and old furniture. Prices are eastern-style as well, this place is very cheap!

Food is available as well but mostly small stuff like a soup or sausages. It doesn't really matter!

Comments