Hotel Nova

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 35% less than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Berlin

then we take berlin... lolthen we take berlin... lol

Gf and me while shopping for charmsGf and me while shopping for charms

Jewish Museum Berlin: well-displayed exhibitsJewish Museum Berlin: well-displayed exhibits

Checkpoint CharlieCheckpoint Charlie

some advice

by Fantasmine

I'm going with my family to Berlin (two small children),
I have decided to make a reservation in a Hotel near Alexanderplatz, because I think it'll be easier to go to all touristic places and have fun for the children.
It this true ?
Thanks,

by meltyan

yeah, I think it's true. I was staying on the north side and I did the walking tour to all the touristic places. And Alexanderplatz is very central to all places no matter by walking, by bus, by metro or by train, Alexanderplatz is the hub. There are a lot of shopping centres too.

have fun!

by Turtleshell

While Alex (as Alexanderplatz is usually called), is indeed centrally located - despite the fact that Berlin has no real center due to the decade long division - it's at the same time noisy and the houses aren't exactly nice to look at.

The "hub", Alexanderplatz Station, is clearly a plus, but public transport is excellent, so as long as there's a subway or S-Bahn station close to your hotel, you'll be fine.

by stativi

Friedrichstra├če and Alexanderplatz are the most central places for a tourist trip. I'd prefer Friedrichstra├če, because the area directly at Alexanderplatz is not that nice.

by grishaV1

Since you have children I would recommend the Zoologischer Garten area during the day. Not exactly at the station, but the animal Zoo is nearby with its new little polar bears that so many are excited about, but you can go to the Europa centre also, many stores and tourists places inside if the weather is too cool or rainy one day. All around the Kaiser Wilhelm memorial you will find little kiosks selling souvenirs and entertainers doing like skits. Also from this location you can take a public bus tour, number 100, which takes you past many famous sites. There many book shops here, and KaDeWe is a short walk away. Its quite a popular area.

by Fantasmine

thanks!!!!!!!!!!

by Turtleshell

> with its new little polar bears that so many are excited about,

To be honest, Knut, the polar bear cub, is no longer cute, no longer little, let alone snow-white. He now looks more like the predator, a polar bear is supposed to be.

Compare one of the last with one of the first videos:

by grishaV1

Well honestly...to you turtleshell they may no longer be cute or whatever, but to some children who have never seen or to myself...they might be. That is why I made the comment: for the poster who is traveling to Berlin and might find it of interest :-) I'm trying to be helpful and positive.

by Turtleshell

Oh that's ok, your response certainly was helpful, and I never had any doubt that you want to be responsive.

Travel Tips for Berlin

Pissoire

by nigelw6443

The first time I saw one of these was when I came staggering out of an Irish pub in east Berlin on a boys night out. Of course there aren't too many of them around as they now have more modern public toilets. The picture I have taken here is of the one in Alt Tegel, it is actually fairly new, I believe in the last couple of years.

Don't bring it up or Don't be Offended If.....

by JourneyOf1

If you bring up the topic of the Holocaust, of WWII, of Nazi Germany and the people involved and if it's Germans you are talking to, don't be offended or surprised if they "clam up" so to speak, or don't wish to discuss it. It's not from guilt, though I feel we can have a deep sense of uneasiness about it. Its mostly from exasperation. So many times that is the first thing people wish to talk about with you, or immediately become accusatory about it. It has been rehashed and rehashed so many times, some get tired of it and will tell you so.

In discussing German life and history, for myself, people wish to know how I came to be born in Germany, do I consider myself German, why would I wish to consider myself German when I could also claim American citizenship? There have been ones who, though having individual German friends, consider Germany to still be a Nazi country or all were sympathizers to the Nazi cause and do not like Germans on a whole. Every nation has their faults, their secret guilts, their histories of some type of prejudices and injustices. Don't be surprised if people do not wish to discuss such things. Personal feelings of politics and recent German history can be sensitive topics and usually are not discussed except with close friends.

Berliner Weisse mit Schuss

by drei3t

If you are a beer lover, probably the weirdest drink you can find in Berlin is Berliner Weisse mit Schuss. It is originally a sour wheat beer, but it is flavoured with either woodruff or rasberry. Woodruff Berliner Weisse is known for its green colour, while rasberry version is red.

The taste of the drink is more like a sour mix of limonade and bier. It contains slightly less alcohol than normal bier, but it is on the other hand served in a slightly bigger glass.

Me and my friends have really hated that liquid since we first tried it in 1996, but last year it tasted good for me for some reason. What is sure I have try it again next time, independent of whether it tastes good or bad.

Europa Center

by barryg23

While East Berlin was under communist rule, the authorities in the west took every opportunity to showcase West Berlin as the home of capitalism. With money pouring in from America, and other sources, West Berlin was quickly rebuilt after the war. No where is this more evident than in the Ku'Damm area of the city, where the bright light and numerous large shops speak as loudly as the derelict buildings ans wasteland still prevalent in the former east. All this means that the Ku'Damm is a great area to shop!!

Don't forget to stamp your subway ticket and pay

by joannaz

We took the subway only a few times and tried to do it exactly correct. We bought the 2 zone ticket and stamped it before we went on the subway train.....problem was....we did not realize it was good for ONLY 2 stops.....yikes. Well what bad luck...just as I donated 2 Euros to a unemployed guy selling newspapers with his cute dog, the controllers came on the train and pulled us off the train. I did not understand what was going on as I flashed my paid ticket to them. The nasty woman (?) claimed I did not pay for 4 stops but only 2.....arrrgghhhh. She kept saying AUSWEIS BITTE AUSWEIS BITTE....in a way like a dictator....hmmm....and repeated herself 6 times that I had to pay 40 Euros before a certain date....and and and. So my advice is to make sure you pay the correct amount for as many stops as you need before the COMMANDER DEMANDER comes.

Comments